1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongest (not prettiest) tie-downs - homemade or aftermkt

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Rediranch_too
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strongest (not prettiest) tie-downs - homemade or aftermkt

I searched the forums, but didnt find much info, so here goes.

I have tried stake post tie downs, and ruined my poor '78 bed rails, ripping the post holes up.

I need something to tie HEAVY stuff down - not a bag of Cheetos.

So, throw in some links and tell me what HEAVY DUTY tie downs you are happy with - even if you have had to bolt them to the SIDES of the bed.

And if you have homemade ones that work - post some pics and info, plz.

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
99powerstrokedF250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 353 Likes on 278 Posts
I can't say that I've ever had any problems with the stock tie-downs and ratchet straps, and I've tied down some pretty heavy things (including 3000 lbs of bricks) and not had an issue. So whatever you're trying to tie down, maybe it should be on a trailer?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What?, Ya plan on drag racing with that HEAVY stuff? haha. I've had many trucks, and I have never had any problem with the stock tie-downs, The ones in the bed, or the stake pockets. I'm usually a very conservative driver when I have a load. and even more so, if I have a trailer.

What is this HEAVY stuff you mention? I find the heavy stuff stays in place better anyhow..... It the light crap that tends to need tied down to keep the wind from shifting it.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 PM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
I use those huge thick ratchet straps with the hooks on them and they work great! Heck they held my heavy porsche from moving much for a 6 hr trip.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Rediranch_too
Senior User
I dont even remember what load it was in my '78 that started to tear out the pockets. I've hauled bricks, appliances, motorcycles, and just junk. I just didnt want to tear out the stake posts on the 02 I just got.

And y, have a trailer for heavy stuff, but I put D rings on it and I could weld to it b/c it's heavy steel, not the light crap on trucks now.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Rediranch_too
Senior User
Now that I think about the old tie downs I got rid of, I think they just clamped onto the top of the pocket - so a pretty piece above the bed, and simply a piece of metal under the pocket lip.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM
GUNNERDOG
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rediranch_too,

There are guys on here who have hauled just about anything you can think of with their trucks. Next time you have to put something heavy in the the bed, put a specific post up about it and we will be glad to help you devise a way to haul it in a safe and secure manner. Without knowing more about what you are trying to "tie down" we can't help you too much.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scottzj
I use those huge thick ratchet straps with the hooks on them and they work great! Heck they held my heavy porsche from moving much for a 6 hr trip.

Is that 928 an S4?

I have the brakes off an S4 on my race Porsche..

Old 04-09-2010, 02:57 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're having problem with your load shifting perhaps it's has to do with your bed liner or other such thing you're using.

On the newer ('05+) Ford has put in a set of attaching points rings at the base of each corner that is stronger than using the stake pockets.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Den of Urth
New User
My father has a '95 F-350 and to solve the problem of not having lower tie downs he simply drilled a hole in the corners and put heavy duty eye bolts supported by nuts and washer on the inside and outside of the steel. I'll post some pictures later or tomorrow.

Sorry if the pics aren't the greatest but I hope they help.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
pbeering
Elder User
I think he is looking to create a hard-point for the tie downs.

This is our approach, we added a piece of channel bolted to the frame with Grade 8 bolts replacing the front bed bolts.

The rear bed bolts hold a piece of hardened steel drilled with a couple of holes on either side. During the summer, these hold a couple of Grade 8 D rings.

This setup has held everything from rolling equipment, a loaded salt spreader and even palletized salt without tearing, straining, or moving.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 PM
J_E_Summit
Postmaster
I don't have pics, but I used 1-1/2" x 0.125 angle iron to bolt on in place of the 4 factory corner tie downs.

The factory pieces bent from the turn buckles on my sled deck (2000lbs including sleds)

Sorry, I don't have any pics.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
scottzj
Hangin 10 bra
Originally Posted by smlford
Is that 928 an S4?

I have the brakes off an S4 on my race Porsche..
Yes that is...its my 1990 Porsche 928 S4. Its my play toy, or nice weekend warrior.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
wizardsr
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pbeering
I think he is looking to create a hard-point for the tie downs.

This is our approach, we added a piece of channel bolted to the frame with Grade 8 bolts replacing the front bed bolts.

The rear bed bolts hold a piece of hardened steel drilled with a couple of holes on either side. During the summer, these hold a couple of Grade 8 D rings.

This setup has held everything from rolling equipment, a loaded salt spreader and even palletized salt without tearing, straining, or moving.
You know it's funny, I started reading without seeing who posted this, and said hey, that looks like something someone I know would do... I need to give you a call one of these days, long time no talk!

Old 04-10-2010, 05:12 AM
scootyg69
Junior User
I found removable removable tie-down eyes with grade 8 bolts with threads in them(tractor supply). I put a plate and a backer through the bed and they don't budge. Going to put a couple more in when I get home

Quick Reply: Strongest (not prettiest) tie-downs - homemade or aftermkt