1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F250 Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:06 PM
kmelrose
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F250 Wind Noise

I have a 2008 F250 6.4 PSD truck that now has about 33,000 on the clock. At around 28,000 miles I started to get an intermittent wind "reed" noise coming out of the dashboard area in front of the drivers seat. It usually happens when driving on the freeway into a head wind.
The Ford dealership could not recreate the problem until today (it's been quite windy in the area today).
They tried removing the wipers, switching the wipers, taping and then removing the cowling but after test driving over 100 miles they still had the intermittent wind "reedy" noise - but no solution.
Has anyone else had this problem?? If so, I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me to help resolve this mind-numbing noise.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Can you generate a positive / negative pressure in the cabin?

An oversized blower fan, with a duct ought to do it.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
jac08f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I to have a 08 f-250 and it does the samething what your truck does. I have taken to the dearlership at least 5 times for it but they could never get to do that noise. Let me know what they find out so they might be able to fix my problem also. thanks.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM
8orbetter
New User
I have a 08 f 350 doing the same i seem think its the clearance lights on top let me know if yall have these lights or find the problem

Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 PM
jac08f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 8orbetter
I have a 08 f 350 doing the same i seem think its the clearance lights on top let me know if yall have these lights or find the problem
I don't have the lights. The dealership told me it might be the cowl vents. To replace one side would be 160 bucks and it MIGHT fix the problem.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM
8orbetter
New User
well at least that tells me its not the cab over lights thanks!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 PM
kmelrose
New User
Jac08f250 - I was lucky. The first time I took the truck in, they could not recreate the problem so after two days they did absolutely nothing. I bought a small voice recorder and the next time it happened, I recorded it and then went to the service advisor with it. Didn't really make any difference. The next time I took it in to the dealership the wind was gusting quite strong and as soon as they got on the freeway the noise started. They put 116 miles on the clock but still could not resolve the problem. Finally they removed the wipers and the cowling and they could no longer re-create the noise.
They refitted the cowling and put the wipers back on and I picked the truck up again last night - so far today no noise but it is still early days. I'm hoping that the cowling was the problem and that the fact that it has been "re-installed" has maybe re-seated it properly. (I know I sometimes lean on the cowling when I wash the windshield so ......)

8orbetter - no, I do not have the overhead lights on my truck either.

I'll certainly provide an update after a week of driving around and let you know the outcome. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Try putting a bug shield on to break up the areodynamics. I have a 2008 f250 and do not have any noise. If you look around on e-bay you will find one that is specific for the 2008 and up that go around the super duty letters on the grille and don't cover them up.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Boognish
New User
I have a 2008, F250 with the same wind noise. Did your dealership ever figure it out? Thanks!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
flpatsfan
New User
I can't tell all of you how happy I am about this thread. I thought i was going crazy.

I also have a 2008, no clearance lights, and in severe cross winds i get this sick sounding "honking" noise right at the base of the windshield on the drivers side.

The first time my wife heard it she laughed her *** off, and made fun of my truck. She does not laugh anymore though (she drives a toyota).

I figured it was an aerodynamic anomoly, so i never brought it in, figured the dealership would laugh at me also. Does not happen often enough for me to waiste my time with them.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Boognish
New User
I think I figured it out! Will test theory soon.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Boognish
I think I figured it out! Will test theory soon.
That's not fair. You should really give us a hint and let others test your theory too. If not, I'm subscribing just to hear what you found.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 AM
KingJL
New User
Has anyone figured this out?! Mine started at about 30,000 after a year on the road. I have removed the antenna and it still occurs, so it isn't the antenna.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:01 AM
aburns20
New User
I have a 2009 F250 KR 6.4L. Although I do not have the wind noise, I do have an issue with the cowling on the drivers side. I noticed the gasket/seal near the center of the hood was completely out. Since I only have 22K miles on it, I took it back to the dealer. Long story short, dealer took some pictures, sent them to Ford (warranty work), got the reply from Ford (in one day) and I am getting the new cowling installed today.
Basically, you might want to take a look to see if the gasket did the same thing and if that could be causing your noise.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM
KingJL
New User
Finally solved!

Finally! After months taping all around the windshield and cowling junction to no avail, I have finally found the source of my musical dash.
<O</O
First the symptoms and observations:
1. The noise started at about 35,000 miles; First very infrequently then with increasing frequency.
2. The noise was always occurred by a crosswind (or when passing a semi) at 55+ mph.
3. The noise never occurred while it was raining.
4. The noise would stop if windshield washer was engaged for a few seconds (would come back after water was dried off).
5. The noise was always the same tone (never changed with speed or strength of wind).
6. the noise was always the same volume after threshold for tone was reached.
<O</O
First I tried taping the center junction of the cowling; next I taped the bottom of the windshield, next I taped the windshield sides, next I taped the top of the windshield. The noise still persisted. As I stated earlier, engaging the windshield washer would silence the noise; so I engaged the windshield washer until it stopped and the pulled over and observed which areas were wet. I saw that only the sides were wet so I started looking only in the side areas.
<O</O
On the passenger side (there is also one on the drivers side) there is an auxiliary door seal just in front of the main door seal that is held in place by press-in nylon body bolts/screws. I noticed that it was somewhat loose. Also I noticed a ~5/8 hole that went into the dash area that was covered by a plastic film. The air was rushing past the front edge of this auxiliary seal and traveling over this hole. When this air got strong enough it would vibrate the plastic film covering and act like a reed on a musical instrument. I pulled up this auxiliary seal and re-installed it. Now the noise is gone. That is music to my ears!

Quick Reply: 2008 F250 Wind Noise