1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F250 Wind Noise

Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2005 F350 has this issue. The truck had been idle for almost a year. This past weekend, I had to drive the F350 because my 1997 F250 has some fuel/electrical issue. I noticed the wind noise as I was driving at highway speeds to my friends house in Boone, NC. It seemed to get worst as the day proceeded.

Hopefully, I can find the source of the problem with the advice of this thread!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM
thew1zard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mystery Wind Noise (Harmonica Sound)

I put up with this for a year. It would only act up at highway speed with a strong headwing gust. Had it in to the dealer 5 times, but they could never recreate it until the last time (was windy out). They replaced shared weather strip between doors & windshield, taped everywhere, sealed moon roof ... all no help. FINALLY replaced windshield seal!!! Problem fixed for a year now!

Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 08 did the same thing at highway speeds with a strong head wind, Its the wind lifting the gasket around the whindshield. I took it to the local auto glass place and he fixed it. $60-70 bucks

Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 881 Likes on 320 Posts
Originally Posted by KingJL
Finally! After months taping all around the windshield and cowling junction to no avail, I have finally found the source of my musical dash.
<O</O
First the symptoms and observations:
1. The noise started at about 35,000 miles; First very infrequently then with increasing frequency.
2. The noise was always occurred by a crosswind (or when passing a semi) at 55+ mph.
3. The noise never occurred while it was raining.
4. The noise would stop if windshield washer was engaged for a few seconds (would come back after water was dried off).
5. The noise was always the same tone (never changed with speed or strength of wind).
6. the noise was always the same volume after threshold for tone was reached.
<O</O
First I tried taping the center junction of the cowling; next I taped the bottom of the windshield, next I taped the windshield sides, next I taped the top of the windshield. The noise still persisted. As I stated earlier, engaging the windshield washer would silence the noise; so I engaged the windshield washer until it stopped and the pulled over and observed which areas were wet. I saw that only the sides were wet so I started looking only in the side areas.
<O</O
On the passenger side (there is also one on the drivers side) there is an auxiliary door seal just in front of the main door seal that is held in place by press-in nylon body bolts/screws. I noticed that it was somewhat loose. Also I noticed a ~5/8 hole that went into the dash area that was covered by a plastic film. The air was rushing past the front edge of this auxiliary seal and traveling over this hole. When this air got strong enough it would vibrate the plastic film covering and act like a reed on a musical instrument. I pulled up this auxiliary seal and re-installed it. Now the noise is gone. That is music to my ears!
I am so glad I found this older post. This is exactly what was wrong with my truck, same side even. Talk about an annoying sound. Bringing current for others in case they have this same issue. Was getting ready for a long trip, and wanted to solve this. For now, just used some silicone seal on the loose seal. When I get back I may order these parts and just replace them more permanently than just the nylon push pins.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:45 PM
rdinmv
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same thing in my 2009, funny thing I rode in the back seat driver side in a 2013 and when the windows were up and ac on I could hear a whistle from the driver side rear door from the window to door seal if the driver rolled the window down it was gone, all widows up it was really noticeable going 10 mph thru the rv park I was in. it was very annoying even at that speed, I found myself trying to find the leak while riding in the back. I could narrow it down to the upper weatherstrip on the middle top of the drivers side rear door above the window.

One of the reasons I got rid of my 06 gmc was for "wind noise" problems.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Lori Williams
New User
Originally Posted by KingJL
Finally! After months taping all around the windshield and cowling junction to no avail, I have finally found the source of my musical dash.
<O</O
First the symptoms and observations:
1. The noise started at about 35,000 miles; First very infrequently then with increasing frequency.
2. The noise was always occurred by a crosswind (or when passing a semi) at 55+ mph.
3. The noise never occurred while it was raining.
4. The noise would stop if windshield washer was engaged for a few seconds (would come back after water was dried off).
5. The noise was always the same tone (never changed with speed or strength of wind).
6. the noise was always the same volume after threshold for tone was reached.
<O</O
First I tried taping the center junction of the cowling; next I taped the bottom of the windshield, next I taped the windshield sides, next I taped the top of the windshield. The noise still persisted. As I stated earlier, engaging the windshield washer would silence the noise; so I engaged the windshield washer until it stopped and the pulled over and observed which areas were wet. I saw that only the sides were wet so I started looking only in the side areas.
<O</O
On the passenger side (there is also one on the drivers side) there is an auxiliary door seal just in front of the main door seal that is held in place by press-in nylon body bolts/screws. I noticed that it was somewhat loose. Also I noticed a ~5/8 hole that went into the dash area that was covered by a plastic film. The air was rushing past the front edge of this auxiliary seal and traveling over this hole. When this air got strong enough it would vibrate the plastic film covering and act like a reed on a musical instrument. I pulled up this auxiliary seal and re-installed it. Now the noise is gone. That is music to my ears!
How did you reinstall the auxiliary door seal? Did you get new nylon screws? Thanks for any details

Old 03-21-2017, 06:57 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
HI Lori Williams. Welcome. I just wanted to let you know you are replying to a thread that is nearly 3 years old. Not anything wrong with it, just letting you know.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
To further update with new info...This is a good thread even if its old as I'm sure this problem is new to some. Keep in mind when you have the windshield replaced make real sure the glass technician knows how to properly install that secondary seal. The newbie that did the glass on my 11 installed it opposite to the way the factory did it. So the seal sat proud of the windshield plastic border. I mentioned it to him but he thought it was correct. Sure enough, the wind got under it just as I knew it would. Called them back and said please send a seasoned tech. Said tech took one look and laughed and said this isn't the first 250/350 he's been called back on after the hack newbie. Newbie broke the 2 piece tray under the wipers too. The seal should sit under the windshield plastic so headwinds don't get under it...duh. I got new secondary gaskets and both plastic trays under the wipers replaced free due to the damage the newbie caused to all of it. This seasoned was also well versed on the headwind noise subject of this thread. Seems Ford has had problems with the glass supplier regarding this plastic border which comes installed with the Ford glass.

KingJL...great troubleshooting. You must have some six sigma training. Can you post a picture of the offensive 5/8" hole and plastic "reed" piece? A visual is worth 1000 words.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:26 PM
dscofever
Senior User
oh my god...I am so glad I found this thread. I have a 2014 F250 with the exact same issue. It's very here and there, not consistent at all. Bigger issue with crosswind.

I have to drive from so cal to Vegas in two days and need to try to fix it before I go. That'll be the longest drive of my life...

Old 08-14-2017, 07:35 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
For those of you that have or had this issue, is this the sound and location of the noise?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:48 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Dang...that sounded like fingernails across the chalkboard! Yikes. Mine was not like that. Mine was more of a high-pitched whistle and seemed to come from the lower center of the windshield. I fixed mine though...I traded it in!!

Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dirthawg
For those of you that have or had this issue, is this the sound and location of the noise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqRtZwxU6vI
Yes, thats the "kazoo" sound. The gasket attached to the glass at the glass factory is loose and the wind is getting under it. Liken it to putting a blade of grass between your thumbs and blowing on it when you were a kid.
A good glass shop can find the leak (lack of adhesive between the glass and plastic gasket) and fix it.