Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Story time.. With Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:49 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Story time.. With Pics!

Well its been a while since Ive been on and I hope everyones doing well...

So last week I left MD to help my dad move all his stuff from MD to FL, got in about 1 am on fri morning and my dad go in around 3am. Now his new driveway is a narrow dirt (well sand since its in FL) road with a fence on both sides, and the power company has been using it as an access rd so it had some deep ruts in it from there heavy equipment. I got through no problem pulling my dads 24ft trailer with his john deere and misc attachments (about 10k), my dads 6.0 made it through without too much of a struggle but then the uhaul got stuck, I back up to it and go to pull it out and before I know it ive burried my truck up the floorboards in the soft sand. Now I have to cut the strap thats hooked up to my truck and the Uhaul van, an my dad tried to pull me out with his truck. He tried to get me out but on about the 2nd or 3rd try ( I dont remember its about 430am when that happened) one of the chains snaped and the hook from the tow strap came flying back in to the little gap were the fog lights mount and went completly through my AC condensor cooler, pushed my trans cooler into my radiador and put a hole in both of them. After that happened we called it quits for the night and went back tomarrow, found the guys working for the power company an they came with a big ol cat dozer and pulled me out.

I finally got all the parts for it toady and Im going to dig into it tomarrow and Ill post the pics of the damage.

Now to help keep this on topic, any tips on changing out the radiator, ac condensor coil, and trans cooler? lol anyone know what I need to make a 6.0 trans cooler fit on the truck?

Attached Images    
Old 04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Heres the rest of the pics I took on fri afternoon when we went back. My tires are 35's just to give everyone an idea on how deep the truck was in.

Attached Images   
Old 04-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer, dude. You will need some 1/2" to 3/8" adapters for the tranny cooler to plumb up to the existing lines. Other than that, the cooler bolts to existing holes on the truck.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:01 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Thanks for the 2nd time today Chris lol.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd say that truck is incompacitated. I never did that kind of work on my truck but heres a bump, take care Chris, praying things get better there. Call me anytime..

Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by That_Guy
Thanks for the 2nd time today Chris lol.
Anytime my friend! I was thinking that someone who has recently pulled a motor in one of these trucks could give you some insight on how to swap out the radiator and the AC as well. Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
I hate how bad luck comes in "strings".

Never had the radiator/IC out but seems pretty straight forward. Drain and start pullin stuff out.

I'm sure folks who have done it will jump in.

Good luck Chris.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take off the steel bar that goes across the front of your engine compartment. The one that has the spare tire tools and hood latch on it.

You need to take everything off that piece. Good news is it's all 8mm bolts. Then you need to take the bolts off the front AND back on the ends. couple 8mm and I believe 13mm bolts. Once you've done that you just pull straight up. It'll take a little effort but it should slide straight up. After that the only thing holding the IC in is the IC boots. Once they're off it will lift straight out.

The trans cooler is bolted on the bottom and has 3/8" lines. To go to a 6.0 trans cooler you need a few feet of 1/2" oil rated hose and 3/8" to 1/2" barb fittings as someone already mentioned.

Your life will be a lot easier if you pull the grill and bumper off before you start. Grill is 4 screws bumper is either 4 or 6 bolts depending on model year. It helps to have a second person to help lift the bumper. It's heavier and more awkward than would be easy to do properly with one person.

If you've got any other questions feel free to give me a call my # is on the rhn I've done all of that except the AC condenser a few different times on different model year trucks.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
And now you know why you shouldn't try that with a chain, or why you shouldn't wrap a strap around a ball on a tow hitch. Imagine if that hook came flying at windshield height.

A good shackle combined with a tow strap is what you want. The strap will break first and life is less complicated when a nylon strap comes flying at you.

Now, was the sand wet or dry? Did you air down your tires any? Has he ordered any roadbase yet? Don't feel too bad. My 2wd can get stuck in wet grass when I have a trailer on it.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by big poppa
I'd say that truck is incompacitated. I never did that kind of work on my truck but heres a bump, take care Chris, praying things get better there. Call me anytime..
Thank you Mike

Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Anytime my friend! I was thinking that someone who has recently pulled a motor in one of these trucks could give you some insight on how to swap out the radiator and the AC as well. Good Luck!
Thank you, it looks pretty straight forward just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything else.

Originally Posted by Smokin'
I hate how bad luck comes in "strings".

Never had the radiator/IC out but seems pretty straight forward. Drain and start pullin stuff out.

I'm sure folks who have done it will jump in.

Good luck Chris.
Yea I know, I keep buying lotto tickets because I know my lucks has to change sooner or later lol

Thank you Lisa.

Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket
Take off the steel bar that goes across the front of your engine compartment. The one that has the spare tire tools and hood latch on it.

You need to take everything off that piece. Good news is it's all 8mm bolts. Then you need to take the bolts off the front AND back on the ends. couple 8mm and I believe 13mm bolts. Once you've done that you just pull straight up. It'll take a little effort but it should slide straight up. After that the only thing holding the IC in is the IC boots. Once they're off it will lift straight out.

The trans cooler is bolted on the bottom and has 3/8" lines. To go to a 6.0 trans cooler you need a few feet of 1/2" oil rated hose and 3/8" to 1/2" barb fittings as someone already mentioned.

Your life will be a lot easier if you pull the grill and bumper off before you start. Grill is 4 screws bumper is either 4 or 6 bolts depending on model year. It helps to have a second person to help lift the bumper. It's heavier and more awkward than would be easy to do properly with one person.

If you've got any other questions feel free to give me a call my # is on the rhn I've done all of that except the AC condenser a few different times on different model year trucks.

Thanks Pete, thats pretty much what I thought. I just feel better having some sort of idea of how its supposed to go lol.

Ill get your number and give you a call if I have any problems.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:26 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6
And now you know why you shouldn't try that with a chain, or why you shouldn't wrap a strap around a ball on a tow hitch. Imagine if that hook came flying at windshield height.

A good shackle combined with a tow strap is what you want. The strap will break first and life is less complicated when a nylon strap comes flying at you.

Now, was the sand wet or dry? Did you air down your tires any? Has he ordered any roadbase yet? Don't feel too bad. My 2wd can get stuck in wet grass when I have a trailer on it.
I hear ya, it was all I had at 330 in the morning lol. Thats the first thing I thought of when I figured out what happened.

It was dry sand, didnt air the tires down any because I didnt think i sink that fast in the short amount of time. The power company that is using the driveway as an access road actually brought out about 3 truck loads of gravel since they techniclly ruined the road with there trucks.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
That's what we called "Sugar Sand". A real PITA... Welcome to FL. LOL

Seriously though, like Chris said, it could've ended in someone getting hurt, so replacing some coolers is better than replacing skin & bone parts. And like already said, the top X-member comes out with four bolts on each side. Once that's out, all the coolers can come right out the top.

EDIT: What part of FL??

Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
That_Guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Izzy351
That's what we called "Sugar Sand". A real PITA... Welcome to FL. LOL

Seriously though, like Chris said, it could've ended in someone getting hurt, so replacing some coolers is better than replacing skin & bone parts. And like already said, the top X-member comes out with four bolts on each side. Once that's out, all the coolers can come right out the top.

EDIT: What part of FL??
Im back in winter garden/windermere area visiting my parents. Its a little bit west of orlando.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Okay -- I know where it is. I grew up down in the Ft. Myers area, then lived over in Cocoa/Rockledge/Melbourne, then in the Tampa area.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
7.3 Rocket
Post Fiend
Yeah it's pretty straightforward, Chris.

Any time after 3:00 or so I'll be able to answer my phone

Quick Reply: Story time.. With Pics!