Projects Share with other members the details about your project truck or SUV. Old or new, gas or diesel, its all welcome here!

My "68" Hauler.........

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 11:08 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking My "68" Hauler.........

I'll probably catch some "crap" from this one.... but I'm a big boy and can handle it!

I took a "68" crew cab, added another section to it, welded the back two doors shut on the drivers side. Then I welded the center door shut on the pass side. Now it's my "3" door pickup! Here is where the "crap" will come.......I installed a Caddy Eldorado 473 ci FRONT WHEEL DRIVE section. I just pulled it out from storage, and will be welding the twin axle trailer from my drag boat to the rear. I added Hydraulic rams to the torsion bars on the caddy front so I can change the ride height from the cab with a switch. The rear tandem axel assy will get the same treatment. I built two aluminum "rails" so I can switch from hauling the boat, to hauling cars and trucks. Hope to have it complete this winter. Some day I plan on building an adapter to install one of my 428s in place of the caddy ( if I live that long....) I would have used Ford Power, but Ford never built a bigblock front wheel drive...............

Old 08-02-2008, 03:15 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that is cool. When do you think you will have it finished?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
I "hope" to have it in primer and ready for next years boating season. This is the second one I've done. The first was for a customer, just a straight 67. I couldn't believe how easy it was. It was like it was made to go together this way! The best part for me, was watching the reactions of people when I'd smoke the FRONT tires

Old 08-02-2008, 03:29 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
I "hope" to have it in primer and ready for next years boating season. This is the second one I've done. The first was for a customer, just a straight 67. I couldn't believe how easy it was. It was like it was made to go together this way! The best part for me, was watching the reactions of people when I'd smoke the FRONT tires
Do you have a picture of the first one?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Somewhere in storage..................It was built before I had a digital camera I do have a video of when we "mated" the caddy front sub frame to the Ford chassis somewhere tho. As I said it was one of the easyest swaps I've ever done, even the Ford inner fender panels fit with 0 cutting! It looks factory built. I don't know where the first one is anymore, the guy sold it to somebody from California.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
I'm going follow this closely.How much room is inside?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:49 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
There's a HUGE amount of room. Wait till you see what I'm doing with the old trans "hump"............Since there's no trans in the way, I'm building a stainless, insulated, "box" in that space for a beer cooler. Cooled with a separate coil from the AC. Most of the interior and final paint will be a few years away, I've got more projects I want to finish first!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:53 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend

Old 08-02-2008, 04:00 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
There's a HUGE amount of room. Wait till you see what I'm doing with the old trans "hump"............Since there's no trans in the way, I'm building a stainless, insulated, "box" in that space for a beer cooler. Cooled with a separate coil from the AC. Most of the interior and final paint will be a few years away, I've got more projects I want to finish first!
So you won't be working on this regularly?

Old 08-02-2008, 10:17 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
thats an awesome project

Old 08-03-2008, 12:08 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Old Tired Rebel
So you won't be working on this regularly?
Only as time permits. I'm trying to finish my 67 shortbed with 460 right now. Chassis, engine, and interior are done, just need to finish the sheetmetal and paint it. Plus I crashed my drag boat and have to finish the hull work and get the new 428 cj refreshed and put back in. sooo many projects, so little time!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:22 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
so the "bed" of the truck will be a trailer? sounds like a sweet deal! i really would love to add about a foot or two to my crew cabs cab, there is almost no leg room in the back...looks great good idea and luck with the cadie drive!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 PM
86F250BIGBLOCK
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fabman, that is by far on of the coolest looking things I have ever seen! I cant wait to see the finished project even if it is years away lol! I love your creativity. Keep up with the good work!

Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 PM
billy12360
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
add one more crew cab and you will just about have the ford version of a early suburban... which would be pretty cool cause i love the early suburbans...

Old 09-01-2008, 11:09 AM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by billy12360
add one more crew cab and you will just about have the ford version of a early suburban... which would be pretty cool cause i love the early suburbans...
That's exactly what I was thinkin when I saw it. That would be SO much better looking than any Burb or Xcursion on the road too!...if it was made that way.

Quick Reply: My "68" Hauler.........