Looking for opinions on Tonneau covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:08 PM
tjgalinski
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for opinions on Tonneau covers

Hey Guys,

I have an extang snap cover and want to get something different. The snaps are too hard to get snapped. The winter is impossible. So I'm looking for one that works in all weather. I looked at bak industries retractable and like it but it is kinda pricey and you lose some inches from the front of the bed. Does anybody have the Velcro type with the tension adjustment that live where it gets cold in the winter. Do they close well? Any opinions would help. Thanks.

Tom G

Old 04-03-2010, 01:25 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I went with the Undercover product, and am well-pleased with the balance of issues like simplicity of installation, cost, strength (I can walk around on it with my full 275lb weight, even in the middle), tailgate security, and clean look. They're expanding their offering for a newer model that is a little more stylish (SE model), but it is not yet available for our PSD's. Once I ordered, the delivery was SUPER fast... 2 days, and I did NOT expedite the delivery, either. At the time, 4wheelonline was the best pricing I could find, and they even credited me a few dollars off the price because I did not want or need the included bed mat. My local dealer could not even match the price from 4wheelonline.

Here's a link. http://4wheelonline.com/FordUndercov...vers.2103.8873

Manufacturer website.
http://www.undercoverinfo.com/models_se.php

Old 04-03-2010, 05:14 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the snap style cover also on my last two trucks(same one) until I went to a shell but I know the fustration in the winter time, terrible. Those retractables look nice that Pete suggested and they hold up, seen them or something simular close up, nice.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:05 PM
tjgalinski
Junior User
The undercover is nice. I need something that rolls up or retracts. I pull a fifth wheel. I was looking at the Access LE today. That seems nice. The link to the 4wheel online web site is great. They have by far the best prices I've seen.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by tjgalinski
I was looking at the Access LE today. That seems nice.
That's the cover I've had on my Lightning for the past 4 years or so.

I'm happy with it, but I don't live in a cold climate so I can't vouch for how well it will hold up to a New York winter.

Also, the weather seal at the front, directly behind the cab doesn't work as well as advertised. When it rains, I still water in the bed.

Stewart

Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM
wolfrace
You like apples?
Extang tri fold, set it on, screw in two locking clamps. fold it out and it has two quick release clamps. lock my gate and I have a bis a$$ trunk. today I folded it up and still attached to the box (it has two clips that keep it down)to keep your box 2/3 uncover I was able to bring 4 36" irok's home, or you can unscrew the last two off and lift it off and set it aside. I can walk around on it, back the truck into the lake, and cast from it, or set up some lawn chairs.
King of my castle

Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 AM
pbr man
Elder User
I have a Truxedo Lo Pro and I really like it. I live where we get extreme weather - below zero to mid 90's - and it works extremely well. I very rarely have to adjust the tension and it is very easy to remove completely if you every need the bed for hauling bulky things, like hay or firewood. It also comes with a lifetime warranty, including the fabric.

TruXedo Lo Pro QT - #1 Selling Soft Roll-up Tonneau Cover

Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 04-04-2010, 04:50 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by wolfrace
Extang tri fold, set it on, screw in two locking clamps. fold it out and it has two quick release clamps. lock my gate and I have a bis a$$ trunk. today I folded it up and still attached to the box (it has two clips that keep it down)to keep your box 2/3 uncover I was able to bring 4 36" irok's home, or you can unscrew the last two off and lift it off and set it aside. I can walk around on it, back the truck into the lake, and cast from it, or set up some lawn chairs.
King of my castle
If I didn't have my Undercover unit, this would be the way I'd go. I always thought of the soft snap-down types as being equivalent to a soft-top on a jeep; decent for keeping out weather, but almost useless from a security perspective.

Extang tri-fold unit sounds like the way to go.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:56 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tjgalinski
The undercover is nice. I need something that rolls up or retracts. I pull a fifth wheel. I was looking at the Access LE today. That seems nice. The link to the 4wheel online web site is great. They have by far the best prices I've seen.
Access is designed and made in Jamestown, North Dakota. Jamestown has some really bitter cold and nasty winters. I have a couple of friends that have them and have no complaints.

Last edited by HD Rider; 04-04-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 AM
tjgalinski
Junior User
Thanks guys. I am trying to decide between the access LE and the truxedo Lo Pro QT.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM
cjfarm11
Laughing Gas
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
I to have the truxedo lo-pro and i really lke it. Its nice to be able to take it out in out in two seconds and haul a motorcycle or what have you. I've had mine for almost two years with no issues what so ever!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:00 PM
tjgalinski
Junior User
I pulled the trigger on the Truxedo lo Pro. The access seemed to have a high profile rail that I didn't want. I bought it at AutoAnything and got it for $428.00. Thanks for all the input. Took the money that I saved from not buying the retractable tonneau and bought some neoprene seat covers for my front and back seat.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

Well shoot, I was gonna suggest a Lund cover. Got mine at Theisens for $300. It' set up a little different than the others with the tensioners at the back. But it works great for me with my tool box/fuel tank up front. It works great during the winter, I just need to seal up the tailgate.