1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

1998 Expedition stereo on/off short?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:01 AM
RSCHAP1
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh yeh...the running board light wiring...

MUCH easier than it looked. I was seeing a bunch of broken rusted studs and nuts but....
the studs were all plastic. Less than 10 minutes getting access and splicing a new section of wiring where an earlier set of butt connectors failed from years of muddy water collecting around them.

again MUCH easier than I thought. Wish everything went so well

Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by RSCHAP1
My Expedition has the console mounted CD changer. Stereo seems like it has a short. It seems strange though. If I get in the truck and start it, it will either be on or off. It doesn't ever happen when driving or hitting a bump or anything. I may get in and it will work fine until I park and shut it down. Or I will get in and it will be off, dark read out, no clock, no sound, and unable to eject the disc changer magazine. Wondered if there were any "common" issues with this year and set up known....?
Hate to tear apart anything I don't have to. APPRECIATE any ideas, help!!
I had a similar problem with my old 97 Expy, ended going to a junk yard and purchasing a head unit which fixed all the issues.

I found the head unit was the problem due to I found that it would also kill the battery in three days when not run and traced the parasitic drain to the head unit.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:10 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RSCHAP1
I double checked that fuse and the others this morning just to be sure again. Power coming out of that fuse bloch too. Wanted to make sure that it wasn't a bad connector or connection right after the fuse. Thanks for showing that though. I keep thinking that it is something simple like that but I am missing it. The owners manual did direct me there too I think.

Yesterday I cheated though. Cut the white/purple where it connects to the back of the stereo. Ran a jumper from what I think is a plug in for a trailer brake controller. There was a heavy gage solid red wire and I think 3 others on a grey plug right above drivers knee area. I used a female round crimp on connector to hook a wire with inline fuse. Ran this to the back of the stereo in case I never get this fixed for real, or as a temp repair until that day. There must be another hook up lacking still because the radio and tape section work but the disc changer shows "NO DJ" when first powered up and if any of the cd functions are called for. Not proud of this and even hated spliccing into the factory wire, but getting old driving 120 miles a day in silence. I thought of leaving both ends of the white/purple hooked and "back feeding also, but feared more trouble this way. Thought it might help point out where the short or disconnect is, but with my luck

Thanks for everything everyone. If I ever find the real cause I will share.
Looking at the wiring diagram, this white w/purple wire also feeds the cd changer as well as the rear integrated control panel. Which could explain why you are getting the error for the cd functions.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM
RSCHAP1
Laughing Gas
I do have a second used head unit in the truck right now. I swapped that in after getting a sweet deal on it from a member here (THANKS c_hohensee).
Atleast I have something to listen to now when I drive

When I saw the error message for the CD, I figured that it must be w/o power now too, and that is part of what had me thinking about letting it "back feed" from my lil' added jumper power supply. I figure I won't be using those so I better be safer. Like I mentioned, with my luck I could see smoke and flames at bad time happening. Not like what I got going now is too safe, but atleast I can reach down and unhook the feed wire I added real quick like if something does go bad.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to try and back feed I would install a 10 amp inline fuse and then you would not need to worry about smoke and flames. Since the fuse has not blown it is not shorting from the fuse side.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 AM
RSCHAP1
Laughing Gas
I may be stretching it a bit by saying FIRE, but my luck hasn't brought me lottery winnings yet either

I am thinking a bit now about "backfeeding" to see if that does power up the CD...HHHMMM

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM
RSCHAP1
Laughing Gas
I did do the "back feed" deal. Everything works as it's supposed to once again. I have an inline fuse between the feed I have coming from what I think is the plug in for a trailer brake controller and the opposite end of my white/purple wire that feeds the constant on to the "head unit". Kinda scary that I can do this. I keep fearing that whatever shorted out will "fix" itself and pop the fuse. But a few days now and all is good. Must be something caused a disconnect between the lil fuse block under the hood and the radio/cd stuff. Hopefully it STAYS disconnected now!! Another big Thanks to everyone for the help, advice, and especially the PARTS! MUCH APPRECIATE IT! Wish I could have provided some more helpful info and better solution, but with things working now, I have had my fill of under dash time. Actually I have more instore as my wife's Grand Prix needs a heat/ac blend actuator. The ROOMINESS of the floor/dash of my Expedition seems REAL nice compared to being upside down in that car