Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the tow/haul mode?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
Whats the tow/haul mode?
On the '03 and up SD...they're equipped with the 5R110 (slush box). When you hit the "tow/haul" button on the end of the gear selector...it changes the shift timing/pattern of the tranny. When pulling it will hold the gear just a little higher into the power band. When coming down a hill it will lock the torque converter and help maintain your speed without using allot of service brakes (pedal action). From what I've been reading, with a stock 6.0L....these 5R110 will live a long life and are easy to service.
Originally Posted by sddesigns
what did you do Zack?
Usually when I'm coming down a long hill (light, no trailer), or getting off the interstate I'll flip the "tow/haul" on to help slow the truck down without burning the brakes up. Yesterday morning on the way to work (0145 hr) I did just that. Got to the bottom of the ramp and the light turned green just as I got to it. So I stepped on the go pedal and went along my merry way. About a mile later I noticed the truck was shifting funny. Turned off the radio and listned to the truck trying to figure out what in the world is wrong with my truck. (side note, to turn off the radio...my hand went right by the yellow light that was on telling me the truck was in "tow/haul"). I was just about ready to pull over when I realized the light was on....

Moral of the story, be sure you get that first cup of coffee/caffine in before you start driving.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM
zpmps2
Senior User
Or the radio wasn't loud enought to wake you up!?

On a lighter note, (for yall not for me) I GRADUATE from SouthSide Bee Branch High School on the 17th of May.. If I did all the math right, I believe I have 16 more days left and I'm outta here! And I say if i got the math right because, well, I failed Alg 2 second semester last year, and its the only thing holding me back this year. I think its gotten alot harder than last year! English 12, thinking it would be hard, has been a cakewalk this year, I had 2 B's in their the first semester, (my first ever in High school english) and then turned out a 98 last 9 weeks! Talk about being STOKED!
I'm pumped up talking about it, but maybe its the Dr. Pepper and the Butterfinger I just ate

Nelson

Edit "hell i got the date wrong for my own GRADUATION!! its the 14th of may.. WOOOOPS

Old 04-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Will P
Senior User
Congrats on your graduation! It is a great feeling! I just got out of college last year after going for most of my life it seems. Enjoy your day!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Will P
Senior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Morning everybody....it's payday Friday. Get to do my part to stimulate the economy...fill the tank on the truck.I work for a railroad based out of Jones Mill. We have three different "jobs" that start at different times of the day. This week I'm on a 0500-1700; last week it was 1200-2359. Unless things change, I'll be on a 0200-1400 next week...not looking forward to getting up at 0001 and heading to work. Though it beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Wow! That is a rough schedule! I work in town at the airplane parts plant. You roll by it if you cross Central on the tracks.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by zpmps2
Or the radio wasn't loud enought to wake you up!?
It was loud enough that I couldn't hear the "hair dryer" whistle as I rolled down the highway. I work around loud equipment all day, so my drive to/from work is sort of my own little quite time. I quit listening to heavy metal years ago when I graduated high school ('95)...and the only time you want to hear country loud is when it's live in concert. BTW, congratulation on your impeding graduation...I remember those days...counting how many where left, "senior skip day" and other things...looking back were fun then, but no big deal now.
Originally Posted by Will P
Wow! That is a rough schedule! I work in town at the airplane parts plant. You roll by it if you cross Central on the tracks.
I know exactly where that's at. Do y'all make model or real life parts? Looks like years ago what ever business was there used to get rail service. The hours stink some days, and my boss is a space cadet. But I'm not cooped up in a building and the scenery outside my window changes pretty much all day long. It could be worse I'm sure, but I try not to think about it.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning All......

Old 04-15-2010, 08:38 AM
bill henry
Senior User
Good morning to everyone Looks like another pretty day. have agood one

Old 04-15-2010, 08:47 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Morning y'all, I love early morning phone calls saying plans have changed...we're calling you in for something "different". Oh well, one more day and I'm NW bound.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Afternoon Bill and Zack!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
bill henry
Senior User
Hope you are having a lovely afternoon steve!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Will P
Senior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
I know exactly where that's at. Do y'all make model or real life parts? Looks like years ago what ever business was there used to get rail service. The hours stink some days, and my boss is a space cadet. But I'm not cooped up in a building and the scenery outside my window changes pretty much all day long. It could be worse I'm sure, but I try not to think about it.
We make the real deal. If it flys we probably make something on it. I think the building was originally a warehouse.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good evening AR!

Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning All.....

TGIF!

Quick Reply: April Chat / All Topic Thread