2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 true dual setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 09:20 PM
MichiganHunter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 true dual setup

I am getting ready to run true duals on my 06 F150 from manifolds back no cats! I was told by the guy that may be doing it that it may throw a check engine light but there is something they put on to get rid of it. If i go through with doing this can i screw my engine up? I am going to run flowmaster 40 series on the truck. Thanks

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Gearbanger 101
Senior User
Hope you like loud and obnoxious, because with true duals and 40-series mufflers, that's what you're going to get.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:49 PM
AK907
New User
There is a little module that can be plugged into the wiring harness where the rear O2 sensors are, it simulates a signal and tricks the pcm into thinking that the catalytic converter is functioning properly. I don't recall the name. The other choice, and the one I would recommend would be to have the PCM retuned ( my shop uses HP tuners ). With that you can dissable the catalytic converter monitor system. No check engine light. Last, removal of the catalytic converter will not damage or harm the engine.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 PM
MichiganHunter
Junior User
06 true dual setup

Thanks ak for the input, i know the guy at the shop told me there was something they could plug in or do so that the light would go off, but i cant rememeber what it was called, I am just not wanting to hurt my motor is all, I am not worried abou tthe loud and obnoxious noise, i have run alot of dual setups on older trucks that had 351's in em and they sounded great with flowmasters on them. once again, thanks for the input..

Old 04-08-2010, 09:45 PM
USAF FordGuy
Senior User
"MIL eliminators" is what they are known as

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Just an fyi, even if you are an off-roader, any law enforcement officer (including fish & game carries manuals with lots of pics/diagrams for identifying even illegal engine changes) can and will impound the vehicle. Once identified as modified/gross pollutor, you get the fun of going to court, not allowed to say anything while the DA and a judge decide if the vehicle should be crushed or not....even if they do give it back to you, after you restore the cats, oem muffler etc. (yes even the muffler has an EPA # on it and is considered technically part of the smog control system), then you get to go to a federal referree station (for the rest of the vehicles life) for the inspection. It just isn't worth it IMHO. Also, even a neighbor or passerby can call the AQMD either state or federal, initiate a complaint, they send a nice little letter, requiring an inspection. If a violation is found, they issue a fine and they can impound the vehicle as well depending on the report.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:51 PM
lmfscrew
New User
I have true duels with cats still on but I was also thinking about taking my cats off but was wondering if my local shop will even cut them off or would I have to and then let them weld a pipe in?heard it was a 10k fine for no cats but my little town have tons of Chevys with straights

Old 04-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
1. it's illegal as hell
2. you are going to lose backpressure and a little bit of torque
3. you need some sort of "H" or "X" pipe...without this you will lose the scavenging effect and again will lose more HP/TQ
4. There is no need to cut or gut your cats for a loud *** exhaust...simply run striaght dual pipes...or run Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers and have them dumped

do it legally please. it will be cheaper to do it, and you will have less issues with the truck. not to mention that you can likely expect a "Fix it" ticket, and/or noise ticket.

edit: mil eliminators aren't that good btw. You will really need custom tuning by someone who can turn off the O2 sensors to prevent the CEL.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:37 AM
USAF FordGuy
Senior User
I dont reccomend it either, considering the fine for doing it is a minimum of $8,000 and is a FEDERAL law

Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 AM
lmfscrew
New User
I have true duels with a h-pipe.you can hear it on YouTube to get an idea of what it will sound like.(lmfscrew)I had it ypiped and was pretty dang loud,but wAsn't choppy enough

Old 04-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Mustangtoby2001
Senior User
Don't remove the cats. I live in the boonies where I don't have to worry about emission testing, even so none of the shops around will remove the cats. It IS a federal law, and they will bust you're butt. Modern cats don't hurt performance and your exhuast can be made plenty loud cheaper by leaving them on. And save you some serious moneyn on tickets down the road, too!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
MichiganHunter
Junior User
06 true duals

ok I have not done nothing yet still up and debating.. i have though about leaving the cats on and just having them cut after them and running me 2 pipes out the back with the flowmaster original 40's i want, i just want it to be a little louder than the system i have now, i had the muffler shop remove the factroy muffler and install a original 40 in its place, has a slight rumble but not loud enough for me. I defintiyl do not want to lose hp or torque thats for sure, so if i leave the cats on and run duals from each cat my question is now: Will it be a little louder? Will i lose slot of hp and torque? Do i need to have a h or x pipe installed, I surea do appreciate the help everyone has giving me.. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Mustangtoby2001
Senior User
Check into SLP exhaust, I had a set from them called the Loudmouth on my 01 mustang, and it was loud. They claim it's the loudest street legal exhaust you can buy. SLP- Street Legal Performance. When I installed them, I started the car with the exhaust uncorked before I put the SLP stuff on, and I don't think the new mufflers made it any quieter! No drone, sounded great, but LOUD!

Edit: http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=310301660AM

Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 AM
okstatef150
Junior User
If just replacing the stock muffler with a 40 series is all you did, I would go with a single in, dual out 40 series. I have that setup on my pickup(06 with a 5.4, sct, and s&b intake) and it sounds really good. I live in Oklahoma so I relate it to thunder coming across the plains. There is not much drone noise at all but has a really nice rumble to it. On a side note, and I know that I am about to contradict myself, I was needing some advice from all of you smart Ford guys that may have a Mustang as well. I love the sound of the 99-04 mustang GTs with the off road hpipe exhaust. I was wondering if there was any way to get my pickup to sound like those. thanks for the help.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganHunter
I defintiyl do not want to lose hp or torque thats for sure, so if i leave the cats on and run duals from each cat my question is now: Will it be a little louder? Will i lose slot of hp and torque? Do i need to have a h or x pipe installed, I surea do appreciate the help everyone has giving me.. Thanks.
you will lose nothing performance wise if you leave the cats alone and put a true dual exhaust

however...(always one ain't there? )...you need to add a "H" or "X" pipe so the exhaust banks can scavenge off each other. Without it, you potentially lose power...with one, you potentially gain power. It's worth the few extra $$$ to get one installed.
See if you can grab one off a 2000+ Mustang...preferably a 2005+ model. They come from the factory with 3" piping, and it can be easily welded into place on your truck...and since Mustang guys typically replace their factory "H" pipes left and right, you can grab them for pretty cheap.

as far as sound, I ran a Single In, Dual Outlet (SIDO) Flowmaster American Thunder 40 series on my Durango with the 5.7 Hemi....good gods that thing was loud. It set off car alarms when I floored it in Parking Lots, and you could hear that thing from blocks away when I got into it
a true dual setup will be at least as loud. if not slightly more. to help you save some money though, a SIDO is a cheaper alternative for the same noise levels.

A single pipe 3" exhaust is good for almost 400 HP...you really won't see any gains from the true dual setup...other than that little bit of personal satisfaction knowing it's a true dual vice a SIDO

plus, with a SIDO setup, you can negate the need for a "H" or "X" pipe and that saves a few $$$ as well.

btw, Did I mention the Flowmaster 40 series are very loud? As in extremely loud? Like plug your ears loud if you are next to it outside the vehicle? So loud the kids complained when they sat in the 3rd row seat and I was being frisky on the highway.
Be careful what you ask for...I am not kidding on the noise level.

also, the loudness of the exhaust is greatly influenced by EXHAUST TIP SIZE. I had 5" tips that were about 18" long. Smaller tips would have made the setup a tiny bit quieter...but 75% of the noise was ultimately those Flowmaster 40 series. good tips are the icing on the cake

Quick Reply: 06 true dual setup