General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anyone have a perfectly green manicured lawn?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts

The first mowing of the season is a royal pain. I just finished. My lawn is a pretty green mixed with grass and weeds. I'm OK with that. I don't have the time or the love to make a perfect golf course grade lawn.

My retired elderly senior citizen and wonderful neighbor has one of those lawns. He works on EVERY day and it's paid off for him.

My loving bride has hinted that I should go all out on the lawn this year. Ain't fricken happining.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:22 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
My lawn is covered with snow. I think I'll wait to mow.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Tim!!!!!!!

That's a good one!!!

While my lawn looks pretty good. . . . it still could use a LOT of TLC, but, when a couple of the neighbors have dandilions and other weeds, I'm fighting a losing battle.
So, I make do with what I have. It makes me, the wife, and the dog happy!

On another note, my first wife thought that the grass was greener on the other side of the street.
She soon learned that there are as many weeds over there, as there are in my lawn!!!
(But, the neighbor can have her. . . with my blessing!!) Ha!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger
Hey Tim!!!!!!!

That's a good one!!!

While my lawn looks pretty good. . . . it still could use a LOT of TLC, but, when a couple of the neighbors have dandilions and other weeds, I'm fighting a losing battle.
So, I make do with what I have. It makes me, the wife, and the dog happy!

On another note, my first wife thought that the grass was greener on the other side of the street.
She soon learned that there are as many weeds over there, as there are in my lawn!!!
(But, the neighbor can have her. . . with my blessing!!) Ha!
That's good Keith! Just remember, green grass grows from poop just like everything else does.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I finally upgraded my lawn equipment this year to a tri-blade deck. I have about an acre I am going to reclaim as lawn, and don't expect it to be nice for a few years. It should be decently green and smooth just in time to tear it all up and build the new house, plant a few trees and maybe add in a few hundred yards of topsoil to get rid of the depression and even it out a bit. Maybe I can budget for sod then-
Until then, it all looks green when you mow it.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:49 PM
fordtruckman
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My yard around the house does pretty good. Apply weed/fertilizer , grub killer and water it. The rest of the lawn is just there. My yard is 2.5 acres so I only really care about the lawn around the house. If I was to care for all of it I wouldn't have time to do anything.

Unfortunately I have a friggin mole in the back yard and he is doing a number on it, I heard if you put juicy fruit gum in one of his tunnels it will "fix" the problem but so far no luck.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by fordtruckman
My yard around the house does pretty good. Apply weed/fertilizer , grub killer and water it. The rest of the lawn is just there. My yard is 2.5 acres so I only really care about the lawn around the house. If I was to care for all of it I wouldn't have time to do anything.

Unfortunately I have a friggin mole in the back yard and he is doing a number on it, I heard if you put juicy fruit gum in one of his tunnels it will "fix" the problem but so far no luck.

Just don't do what they did on Caddyshack!

Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it didn't harbor bugs so bad, I would just let mine go entirely. I like the look of prairie grasses, so I'd at least try to get that going, but like I said, bugs like tall grass, too, and I hate bugs more than I hate caring for the lawn.

I'm like you, Tim. My wife mows it, and I throw down some weed'n'feed and Sevin granules once a year. I just added some milky spore this year to start combating the grubs that attract moles all the time. The bonus should be that in a few years, there will be no moles and no Japanese beetles. I may put up a bat house anyway, just to help with the bugs.

Jason

Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why waste my time throwing stuff on the grass to make it grow faster? Cutting it once a week is once to many for me!! cutting grass takes away from time spent working on the truck,fishing,camping etc. I am going to cover my yard in cement and paint it green,wonder how long it would take for the neighbors to get pissed and complain?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cjben
why waste my time throwing stuff on the grass to make it grow faster? Cutting it once a week is once to many for me!! cutting grass takes away from time spent working on the truck,fishing,camping etc. I am going to cover my yard in cement and paint it green,wonder how long it would take for the neighbors to get pissed and complain?
My sentiments exactly,........besides the dogs have already mostly destroyed it. Gravel is looking better and better.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:05 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cjben
The new synthetic turfs look a lot more like grass. Just think of all the water wasted and chemicals that are introduced to the water supply trying to keep grass green.
http://www.sunsetls.com/synthetic_lawn_examples.htm