1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2004 Ranger Fx4 Lots of problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM
calv87
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 Ranger Fx4 Lots of problems

Hi, i have a 2004 ford ranger fx4 levell II, 4 L V6. it has 135,000 kms on it. i think i have a lemon, spent so much money on the truck its just a steady process of putting on new parts. sick of spending money.
Ive been recently having idleing problems when i start up, the truck shakes for about 10 seconds and then idles really high for a couple minutes then idles down.
I also have trouble with my strarter, im guessing its my starter, i bought a multi meter and tested my battery it has 12.5 volts, altenator has 12.5 when shut off and while the engine is running it has 14.6. When i turn the key the starter makes one click i turn the key back try it again and it makes another click. I could be at this for 1 min or 10 mins or untill the battery looses power.
Another problem, im thinking if connected to the idleing problem at start up is when im driving the truck cuts in and out like its shuting off but it doesnt.
I had bad luck about 2 months ago when I first lost my transmission in the truck, i had the transmission rebuilt professionaly, the guy had 30 years doing it. it cost me $1200. the same day i decided i would get new brakes because i could tell they were bad, went another garage got the brakes done and then realized I needed 2 upper ball joints, brakes front and back, 2 wheel bearings, engine light was on got that checked and it was the oxygen sensor got that replaced and also put on 4 brand new tires, garage totall was 1800 including tires. plus the 1200 for the transmission.
Total cost that day, was $3000
Next day, guy runs a stop sign, i hit him, wrecks the front of the ranger, another 7200 spent in the weeks after. so here i am still having problems, the idleing problems and the starter problems. Anyone with any answers for me? I also should mention that the altenator and battery was done 2 years ago and the starter was done about 14 months ago.
Hope someone can help me. thanks

Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 AM
mfp4073
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Starter issue could be simply high resistance in the connections. Either at the battery or at the starter. Meaning wires are not making a very good connection.

Sucks when its like that. I have been fighting my truck lately myself.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 AM
calv87
New User
I cleaned up the terminals at the battery and i cleaned up the ground on the starter but i couldnt get at the power wires for the solenoid so they are the only one's that wernt cleaned.I dont know which way to turn proably should just take the starter off all together and just get another one.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
calv87
New User
clogged catalic converterÉÉÉ

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can tell me if my idleing problems would be caused by a clogged cataylic converter !!! it sounds like my truck is surging when i first start it up and drive it for the first 20 mins when i accelerate the exhaust sounds like its sucking in and blowing out. its hard to explain. hope someone has some answers thanks... calv

Old 04-02-2010, 02:10 PM
wicat3
Elder User
for the idling problem look into your fuel injectors. Mine started having issues and i ended up replacing the heads because a mechnic that looked at it told me that i needed a valve job. Was able to do the job myself for less and clean up the motor a bit but when all was said and done the problem only got a bit better but was still rough. Changed out my injectors problem was gone. I thought cats so i replaced them along the way and the whole time it was injectors so check them out.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 AM
mobilefleet
Senior User
catalytic converter test is easy, if you have one of those infrared thermometers point it at the inlet pipe side of the converter and get a reading, and then at the outlet side. Shouldn't be much difference in temp. A plugged converter will be much higher temp on the inlet side and cooler on the outlet. No temp gauge tool? Shadetree way is to (quickly) put your hand on the inlet and outlet and feel for any temp difference.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
calv87
New User
Smile

so i found the problem to my ranger, after 3 garages and 6 mchanics later it was the cat converter, i had all sensors checked, new plugs, wires coil, and the mchanics were stummped and could not figure out the problem. right from the start i said it was the cat and each one told me it wasnt. but i demanded it be taken off and sure enough it was the problem. The truck got so bad it would not even start.... and i was right cat converter. so for anyone out there.... havin these problems or symptoms....check out your cat before you spend too much money...thanks again for all the help from everyone it was greatly appricated
thanks all....
stright pipe is better then a cat any day so thats what i got now lol

Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 PM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, let me state that I love the Ranger(look at my sig, obviously), and I am pissed Ford got rid of the FX4 and FX4 level 2.

My 04 FX4 was by far the coolest that I owned, but I had so many problems with that truck in 3 &1/2 yrs of ownership. I had to get replaced : warped brake rotors, weather stripping around drivers side window, faulty wiper motor, rear driver side panel on the Supercab rear door that was slipping off, paint peeling off the radio bezel, the whole carpet had to be replaced due to it being fitted wrong at the factory, then having the vibration of the floor board rub through it...

That being said I loved that truck (crazy, huh?) It was fun to drive and was very capable. I took it off roading on sand dunes, used it to haul furniture, and used it as an everyday driver. When I traded it in I had 34k on it. I would own another (FX4, that is) if I had the means to pay for two trucks right now.

Maybe 04 was just a bad year off the assembly line

SWEET! With this post I because an "elder user". This was my 500th post!