Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What happens if CCV gets restricted?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:21 AM
bad booger
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens if CCV gets restricted?

Searched but am not reading 1000 CCV mod threads for the answer.

What gets damaged if the hose gets pinched or clogged?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It can cause a back pressure and push oil thru the turbo, which if it is not fixed, can ruin your turbo. It can also cause oil to be pushed out your oil dipstick tube.

All this happened to me this past winter. Make sure your hose is routed over the mastercylinder to prevent this from happening.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I beleive it will create excessive pressure in the crankcase (Not Good) - Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly, but at least a bump for u.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:10 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Install Instructions for the CCV mod if it helps...

Riffraff Diesel: Installation

Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
bad booger
Junior User
Well, mine got a kink in the hose and I blew oil everywhere. Through the turbo and into the intake as well as out of the turbo and onto the motor. So much oil everywhere that I have no idea if I am missing any leaks. I have the turbo off now and am rebuilding it (thanks Clay). I am only concerned that I miss a leak and all this work I have done doesn't fix it. Pulling the turbo is no fun at all, I was really missing my Dodge during the middle of that PIA.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulling the turbo isn't that bad after the first time. I can have mine off in <30 mins. But you're on the right track -- replace all the turbo seals & pedestal O-rings. You might consider plugging & deleting the EBPV as well. Another potential oil leak removed is a good thing...

Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
If plugged, won't it increase pressure in the crankcase and force oil out of the seals?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would think so Andrew, bad stuff IMO. Just for this possible disastrous senario, I check to see if mines breathing every once and awhile.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:05 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by big poppa
I would think so Andrew, bad stuff IMO. Just for this possible disastrous senario, I check to see if mines breathing every once and awhile.
You go ahead and think. I KNOW. My CCV hose got kinked and it leaked.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
O Boy, . Where did it leak, blow out??

Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 AM
DieselCamper01
Fleet Owner
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine froze a couple of winters ago. It would barely idle let alone go down the road. Did not end up blowing any oil though. Good luck and hope this is a simple fix for you.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by big poppa
O Boy, . Where did it leak, blow out??
Looked like the rear main seal seeing as how the trans doesn't have motor oil so that kinda narrows it down. Fortunately, it cured itself when I found the oil patches on the driveway. This was after I found that there was some seepage. First time I did the CCV, I ran it to the exhaust. It seemed to work but there was seepage every now and then. I plugged it up and vented to the atmosphere and the hose started to vent onto the shock and screwed up the seals causing the shock to fail. Thankfully, Bilstein didn't ask questions and replaced the shock. thought I would put it somewhere else but it got kinked and really started leaking. Cut the hose short and let it vent downwards from the engine and no problems.

That is why I just vent to atmosphere now.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
PwerStroke99
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
mine forced oil out the turbo and down the downpipe, leaking oil onto the ground where the exhaust mates to the downpipe. I didnt have it routed properly. Once i got it routed properly it stopped. Parked on a steep incline and a butt load of oil leaked out of the hose. havent had an issue since. Thankfully i caught it soon enuf and it didnt ruin the turbo.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by aklim
Looked like the rear main seal seeing as how the trans doesn't have motor oil so that kinda narrows it down. Fortunately, it cured itself when I found the oil patches on the driveway. This was after I found that there was some seepage. First time I did the CCV, I ran it to the exhaust. It seemed to work but there was seepage every now and then. I plugged it up and vented to the atmosphere and the hose started to vent onto the shock and screwed up the seals causing the shock to fail. Thankfully, Bilstein didn't ask questions and replaced the shock. thought I would put it somewhere else but it got kinked and really started leaking. Cut the hose short and let it vent downwards from the engine and no problems.

That is why I just vent to atmosphere now.
Me too bro, I got mine coming down over the MS then zip tied to the driverside swaybar endlink, no problems after about two years, except for those pesky drips now a then. Good ole tractor trailer mud flap positioned in the driveway for that.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:35 PM
Kkb2001
New User
Pinched ccv

Originally Posted by PwerStroke99
mine forced oil out the turbo and down the downpipe, leaking oil onto the ground where the exhaust mates to the downpipe. I didnt have it routed properly. Once i got it routed properly it stopped. Parked on a steep incline and a butt load of oil leaked out of the hose. havent had an issue since. Thankfully i caught it soon enuf and it didnt ruin the turbo.

When you fixed this how long did it take for the oil to burn out of your turbo and downpipe? I think this is my issue because the truck started smoking blue and has oil in the downpipe when I took the v band off by the turbo and looked. When I looked at my ccv mod the hose was pinched. I haven't drove the truck very much so hopefully I didn't ruin my turbo. Thanks

Quick Reply: What happens if CCV gets restricted?