2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

funny smell after a service..they did a transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 AM
sunvalley
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny smell after a service..they did a transmission flush

i have a question about my 2008 f150...i have a funny smell coming thru my vents...i just had it serviced and a transmission flush was part of the service..i didnt have any trouble with my truck before that...and the temperature guage has stayed the same...and no leaks..anyone with an idea of what it could be...

Old 03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
bogeyrider63
Trailering
did they get any fluid on the exhaust?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you take it for service? Ford doesn't recomend fluid change till 100 thousand miles.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:09 PM
sunvalley
New User
i dont know if they got any on the exhaust....its weird because i didnt have any smell before til after it got serviced...i took it to a ford dealer because its under warranty..and it only has 50 000 km....

Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 PM
hunt3r
Junior User
If the dealership recommended this service and if I were you, I would be interested to hear why theyp flushed the trans when oldguy4 says that Ford doesn't recommend changing the fluid until 160,000 kms.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:38 AM
sammer4u
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by hunt3r
If the dealership recommended this service and if I were you, I would be interested to hear why theyp flushed the trans when oldguy4 says that Ford doesn't recommend changing the fluid until 160,000 kms.
Why.... Cause they needed the money and wanted business... Not everyone reads the manual. There are some people that believe the dealership will do no wrong... I have seen the light and will not let my local dealer touch my truck anymore! Too much damage and grease left behind after warranty work.

I really believe that they saw a big $$ service work coming in!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:56 AM
sunvalley
New User
i agree with you...im sure they saw money coming...but my truck has to be serviced until the warranty runs out with a ford dealer...otherwise i wouldnt take it there either...its only 2 years old ..it shouldnt need any work..i pretty much baby it...

Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Oldguy4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sunvalley
i agree with you...im sure they saw money coming...but my truck has to be serviced until the warranty runs out with a ford dealer...otherwise i wouldnt take it there either...its only 2 years old ..it shouldnt need any work..i pretty much baby it...
Not true. All you have to do is show that the required work was done. Even if you changed your own oil and filters, you just have to have the reciepts to show you bought those things. Of course it would help to keep a log of the work you did yourself or had an indepentent shop do. I agree with that Summer guy (don't remember the full handle) I only take my vehicles to the dealer for warranty or recall work.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 PM
sunvalley
New User
im kinda starting to think that..i have a lease..and the option to buy it out in a year...i have had my keyless entry replaced...the truck was ordered in so it came brand new from the detroit plant...i also had a problem when they did an oil change at christmas..i am on holidays at the mountains but before i hit the mountains there was this smell..thats why i figure it was the transmission flush..because the service was done a few days before i left on my holidays...is it possible they put a chemical in the flush..and thats what i smell once in awhile..or is it possible the flush did something to a hose and i have a pinhole in a hose...or when they do a flush did they not tighten something properly...i just dont get it...and i dont drive my truck like a guy..cuz im a girl..i just like ford trucks...and i feel they are safe for driving in canada as i live where we get wicked snow in the winter..thx for replying with your ideas..i appreciate it

Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 AM
EBTDM
Senior User
..i also had a problem when they did an oil change at christmas..i am on holidays at the mountains but before i hit the mountains there was this smell..thats why i figure it was the transmission flush..because the service was done a few days before i left on my holidays...is it possible they put a chemical in the flush..and thats what i smell once in awhile..or is it possible the flush did something to a hose and i have a pinhole in a hose...or when they do a flush did they not tighten something properly...i just dont get it...
Ok, seeing as you are having repeating problems with service providers I would suggest the following.
After a fluid service, park on a clean surface, then after letting it set overnight move the vehicle so that you can get out and inspect where you were parked. Look for spots left from the fluids dripping. Note the color and smell. If you do not know the smells of one fluid as opposed to another then pull out the dipstick for the oil or trans and smell them. If your antifreeze or another fluid was serviced then remove the lid of that reservoir and smell it. Now that you have determined that you have a leak and what fluid it is go back to your provider and ask "Why" and tell them to "Fix it" or as a minimum "Clean their spillage off the undercarriage" before they return the vehicle to you.
This is just some advice from an old mechanic.
Oh!, and most mechanics (if not everyone you have service your vehicle) are in awe and will work harder on your vehicle if you (especially being a girl) can talk to them in their vernacular. That being said, I would add one more suggestion, go to the book store and buy a book on basic automobile maintenance. My daughters actually found one that specifically addressed, "How to talk to your mechanic". That is one I would suggest you not pass up if you find it. It was silly from my view almost like a joke book, but the girls said it helped them a lot.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM
sunvalley
New User
ty...that is a good suggestion....i will have to look for a book like that...and i do know a little bit about vehicles as my dad always made me check my oil when i first got a car.....but i will definitely look for a book and get a little more agressive with these mechanics cuz im tired of being ripped off ....thx for your help

Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
EBTDM
Senior User
ty...that is a good suggestion....i will have to look for a book like that...and i do know a little bit about vehicles as my dad always made me check my oil when i first got a car.....but i will definitely look for a book and get a little more agressive with these mechanics cuz im tired of being ripped off ....thx for your help
My girls always get a kick out impressing those poor mechanics. They tell me about their experiences all the time. It also helps to take in some details of their shops and make mention to the less noticeable things. It shows them that you are observant and are watching. They even get "unadvertised discounts" from time to time.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:23 PM
sunvalley
New User
very cool..ill have to remember that...impress the mechanics

Old 04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
EBTDM
Senior User
You should keep us informed how things progress for you on this and future experiences. There is always someone here that will offer some advice. That is what we do.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
sunvalley
New User
ty..i will do that..ill let u know what happens..i went out today and used it even up the mountain and i didnt smell it...when i have the other days..i did check the transmission fluid...is there a certain way to put the dipstick back in..or does it matter...the righting is to the side now....but its all the way in...thats the first time ive opened the hood..

Quick Reply: funny smell after a service..they did a transmission flush