Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

March Chat / All Topic Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March Chat / All Topic Thread

Starting a new one for March.

Everyone having a good week so far? At least Monday is over and done.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
After digging a 100' trench Sat with a sharpshooter, pick and double bit ax, working yesterday was sort of rough. My body tells me that I ain't as young as I once was, Ouch!!! Oh well, if I don't do it, it won't get done I keep telling myself that I'll enjoy the place if I ever get finished, if it don't kill me first

Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tojoski
Everyone having a good week so far? At least Monday is over and done.
Monday was rough, didn't sleep at all Sunday night....think a new prescription and I haven't quite agreed with each other at the time. After talking to a buddy that's a pharmacist I think I've got it figured out.
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
After digging a 100' trench Sat with a sharpshooter, pick and double bit ax, working yesterday was sort of rough. My body tells me that I ain't as young as I once was, Ouch!!! Oh well, if I don't do it, it won't get done I keep telling myself that I'll enjoy the place if I ever get finished, if it don't kill me first
Trenchers are great tools, they make easy work of laying a water/sewer line. That's one of the things I miss about working for the Cat dealership. When I had a weekend project that envolded dirt work...I'd clear my idea through my boss and just bring something home from work. Since I drove the truck anyway it wasn't like they were having to pay someone extra to get it to my place. And I'd use something that was coming back in from a rental...so it's not like the machine wasn't already nasty dirty.

A couple more weeks of good weather like this and it will be time to pull the camper out of storage and get it ready for use.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning All....

Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by zhilton
Trenchers are great tools, they make easy work of laying a water/sewer line.

A couple more weeks of good weather like this and it will be time to pull the camper out of storage and get it ready for use.
Trenchers are great, but getting something that heavy across the Bay is a big problem
My campers are always ready to use, in fact the teardrop is headed out on the 26-28th for a 3 day weekend.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Trenchers are great, but getting something that heavy across the Bay is a big problem
My campers are always ready to use, in fact the teardrop is headed out on the 26-28th for a 3 day weekend.
I keep forgetting pretty much everything comes in by boat where your get away is at. Don't I feel like a dope now.

On my current camper the underside is exposed and it's stored off site; so it has to be winterized every fall. I looked at a 32' Cougar bunkhouse last summer than was a 4-season rig...as long as you keep it plugged into to a 30 amp. The brochure claimed you don't winterize it unless your planning to leave it unplugged...the tanks were heated and all the walls are insulated; not to mention the undersized is enclosed. I was impressed with it; just couldn't get the numbers to work out. Right now I'm glad I didn't with the way things played out. If you ever thing the Lord isn't watching out for you....think again. He may give you enough rope to swing from, but not enough to hang yourself.

Evening Steve, hope everything is going well in NJ.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:50 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning All......

Happy Hump Day!

Just getting a slight dusting of the white stuff!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
I keep forgetting pretty much everything comes in by boat where your get away is at. Don't I feel like a dope now.
Most folks can't comprehend the fact that you would need a boat to get home, but that can be a good thing sometimes.
And speaking of campers, well I really wouldn't call the big one a camper, it's a 37', 3 slideout Snowbird. It is an fulltimers fourseason rig that I bought just to please my wife. For the first time in my life, I took the life and disability insurance on the loan or I would have lost it during a period of recuperation after an accident and surgery. I pull it with a restored '71 R-Model Mack. We had planned to do some extensive travels after my wife would have retired next year, but alas, she didn't make it.
My little teardrop camper I built during the time of diagnosis and the beginning of my wife's treatment for cancer, I called it my mental therapy. She only got to enjoy one trip in it, but we were gone for 10 days and traveled almost 1K miles. I enjoy pulling it with my 53 F100, the rig gets a lot of attention at car shows and campgrounds.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:49 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Morning Steve
Most folks can't comprehend the fact that you would need a boat to get home, but that can be a good thing sometimes.
No door to door salemen! Though where do you get your girl scout cookies delivered???
And speaking of campers, well I really wouldn't call the big one a camper, it's a 37', 3 slideout Snowbird. It is an fulltimers fourseason rig that I bought just to please my wife. For the first time in my life, I took the life and disability insurance on the loan or I would have lost it during a period of recuperation after an accident and surgery. I pull it with a restored '71 R-Model Mack. We had planned to do some extensive travels after my wife would have retired next year, but alas, she didn't make it.
Before I joined the unemployed lines 6 months ago...I was set to retire almost 2 years before my wife could, and she's a little over a year older than me. Provided no one changes the RRB retirement system I'll still be able to retire before her (with full benefits)...just not as much as I had originally planed. We have grand plans to see the country (all 50 states & Canada) as well as torment the kids...and grand kids if/when we have them. Oh yeah, I'm paying for my raising right now...but I more than intend to return the favor when the day comes.
My little teardrop camper I built during the time of diagnosis and the beginning of my wife's treatment for cancer, I called it my mental therapy. She only got to enjoy one trip in it, but we were gone for 10 days and traveled almost 1K miles. I enjoy pulling it with my 53 F100, the rig gets a lot of attention at car shows and campgrounds.
Those teardrops look neat from the outside, just looks like it takes a bit of skill to get in & out of one. Behind a '53 F100...that's got to be classy site.Part of the reason I was looking at a four season rig is I spend weeks out on the road working...when I'm working. Anyway, nothing is more annoying than getting up at 0500 to take a shower and the waterlines are frozen. No shower, no water to brush the teeth...and worse of all...no water to make coffee.

In a former career I used to drive a truck for Caterpillar hauling parts between warehouse; one of the guys I used to run with from time to time was in a R-body. He worked for Coleman, so the truck was white with black spots like a Holstein. I could out-pull him on a hill, but not by much. Those R-body trucks just look tough...unlike the Visions that scream down the super-slab these days.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:50 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

morning Zack and Jeff!

Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
We were kinda looking at teardrops to pull behind the '61, but my wife decided she was tired of cooking and washing outdoors(except on bike trips of course). Ended up dragging this home to work on once I get the truck engine swap done.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
Me and the wife were doing the "take off and camp in a tent" thing about 8 or so years ago..

The first rainstorm that came through in the middle of the night broke us of that.

Now Ive got a little 26' camper that we use.. although now that I've got the stroke I could see an upgrade in our future.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

my wife want's to get something when the kids are all out of the house and just pack it up and hit the road.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:54 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Though where do you get your girl scout cookies delivered???
Hey these redneck (river rat) girl scouts around here learn to run a boat before they learn to walk

Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning All.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: March Chat / All Topic Thread