Resetting odometer on 80-86 mechanical speedometer? - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Resetting odometer on 80-86 mechanical speedometer?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM
Senior User

krazeyelf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri_truck_guy View Post
Just be patient with it. My fingers are finely tuned like a bag of bricks, and I could make it work. You'll be fine.
I hear ya, that's the way my fingers are! In the end, though, I decided to not mess with changing the mileage. I just know something would screw up if I messed with it. Besides, when I first bought the truck, the speedo/odo didn't work anyhow and I had the change the ate-up speedo gear. My title was marked "not actual mileage" anyhow. The new one is so clean and new-looking compared to the old and twice as bright at night. The only thing left is to take the cover off someday and re-fininsh the needles back to their nice bright orange.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Elder User

ClydeSDale is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazeyelf View Post
My title was marked "not actual mileage" anyhow.
When I bought my '84 back in 1996 it had 36,500 miles on the odometer. I specifically requested that the new title show that mileage at transfer but I got the "it's old enough that it doesn't really matter" bit. I said, "Yeah, it REALLY does!" and ended up with about what you got. I do have a set of vehicle emissions certificates that show mileage progression but I sure would have liked to have it on the title .......
Old 04-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Elder User

dtgl90vt is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just for the record, it is the pin with the white gears on it, not the number that needs to be popped out. I did it by hitting it with the flat side of lineman pliers.

Also it took me about 30 minutes to do two. I just put my new one in with trip, and ill sell my old one on eBay or something.

And one more final thing, there is some play in between the teeth so if it is close after you have put the pin back, before you take it out, try to fix it to see if it was just off because of the slop in the gears. I did mine with a paperclip, alot easier than using my fingers.

Cheers,
Devin
Old 04-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Postmaster

Rusty_S is a name known to allRusty_S is a name known to allRusty_S is a name known to allRusty_S is a name known to allRusty_S is a name known to allRusty_S is a name known to all
I used my large adjustable angle head pipe pliers, I was able to hold the plastic ear on one side and squeeze the pin out with the other end.

I didn't do it on my truck but did it on a customers truck. I'm not too concerned with the mileage as I don't know how many miles is on my truck but when I build the new engine I would add it to my notes of what mileage it was at and reset it to 0 miles.