6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

screwed up my coolant flush, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
screwed up my coolant flush, what would you do?

Well, my truck hit 72,000 miles and I figured along with the oil change I would also do a coolant flush and install a coolant filter. So I went out and bought the VC9 and the Premium Gold coolant.
I started out the flush right by draining the coolant from the block and the radiator and removing the thermostat. I then put 2 Quarts of VC9 in and filled it with distilled water, ran it for about 40 miles and heres where I screwed up. I then drained the VC9 and water from the radiator (It was the color of MUD) and forgot to open the block drain plugs. I filled it up with water again ran it for a while and drained the radiator again forgetting the block drain plugs. I then installed my dieselsite coolant filter and thermostat and realized my mistake when I put 3.5 gallons of coolant and .5 gallons of water and it was full. I'm positive that I am below 60% coolant and it's testing good. But I have no clue how VC9 works or what the effects of what may be left in there may have. Just looking for some opinions. would you flip the $80 for coolant and do it again, or call it good. I'd hate to waste all of the stuff I already put in just to reflush it but if it could have adverse effects down the road I don't want to risk it.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:04 PM
teppler
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be wrong and some of the pros here will let me know if I am but if you flushed it twice you should have most if not all of the VC9 removed. And if you added 3.5 gallons of anti freeze then you are slightly over 50% antifreeze and should be good to go. I was told that the ford techs at the dealership i use, only use 3 gallons of antifreeze doing a cooling flush.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Thats what I was thinking. If my math is correct then I would have less than 1/2 a quart of vc9 still floating around in there. It is pretty aggressive stuff though. I couldn't believe the color of the crap that came out of that first flush, there was no transparency at all. Just dark brown muddy water. I went a little high on the coolant with the thought of the increased capacity due to the coolant filter and losing some coolant on the first filter change in a couple of months.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
I'm not sure whether the long term effects of having VC9 running thru the system for any extended period of time will hurt anything or not...you're going to change your first coolant filter after 500 miles anyway....right? Sure you are. Next time though...just drop the lower rad hose and you should have dumped enough...also, use Valvoline's Zerex G-05 same spec...I'ts my understanding that Valvoline makes Motorcrafts coolant. Zerex is only $11 gallon.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:09 AM
SturgeonHunter
Senior User
Originally Posted by hubler13f
Well, my truck hit 72,000 miles and I figured along with the oil change I would also do a coolant flush and install a coolant filter. So I went out and bought the VC9 and the Premium Gold coolant.
I started out the flush right by draining the coolant from the block and the radiator and removing the thermostat. I then put 2 Quarts of VC9 in and filled it with distilled water, ran it for about 40 miles and heres where I screwed up. I then drained the VC9 and water from the radiator (It was the color of MUD) and forgot to open the block drain plugs. I filled it up with water again ran it for a while and drained the radiator again forgetting the block drain plugs. I then installed my dieselsite coolant filter and thermostat and realized my mistake when I put 3.5 gallons of coolant and .5 gallons of water and it was full. I'm positive that I am below 60% coolant and it's testing good. But I have no clue how VC9 works or what the effects of what may be left in there may have. Just looking for some opinions. would you flip the $80 for coolant and do it again, or call it good. I'd hate to waste all of the stuff I already put in just to reflush it but if it could have adverse effects down the road I don't want to risk it.
I am planning on flushing this weekend (my first time) and I have not been under the truck looking around yet. Approximately where are the block drain plugs and how many are there? Also, is it really necessary to pull the block plugs? The procedure in the 6.0 tech folder only states to drain via petcock and/or dropping the lower radiator hose. I'm not sure I undersatnd the benefit of removing the block plugs as long as you flush with distilled water several times, other than you may get away with fewer repeat flushes.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by SturgeonHunter
I'm not sure I undersatnd the benefit of removing the block plugs.
A lot of trash hangs out their because of it's downhill nature. It makes for a complete system flush.

Good luck.....

Old 03-26-2010, 06:33 AM
blockmanjohn
Mountain Pass
I'm getting ready to do a flush for the first time,65,000 miles. Is it always necessary to to use a flushing agent first, or is it all right to just drain completely and replace the coolant? Thanks, John

Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 AM
SturgeonHunter
Senior User
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
A lot of trash hangs out their because of it's downhill nature. It makes for a complete system flush.

Good luck.....

ok, that makes sense. Where are they and how many are there?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Where are they and how many are there?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...rain-plug.html

Let us know how it goes. Good luck....

Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 AM
SturgeonHunter
Senior User
Originally Posted by Whitey Ford
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...rain-plug.html

Let us know how it goes. Good luck....

Will do!

One last question.....does it make more sense to install the coolant filter after the first drain, or wait until after the multiple flushes of distilled water? Seems to me that I might want it in right away to catch any of the sand that get dislodged and moved around during the flushes. Whataya think?

Old 03-26-2010, 08:09 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Will do!

One last question.....does it make more sense to install the coolant filter after the first drain, or wait until after the multiple flushes of distilled water? Seems to me that I might want it in right away to catch any of the sand that get dislodged and moved around during the flushes. Whataya think?
Wait until you are done and are adding the coolant. That way there is less chance of trapping the VC-9 in the system and also, why contaminate a new filter?. Just my thoughts.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:10 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by blockmanjohn
I'm getting ready to do a flush for the first time,65,000 miles. Is it always necessary to to use a flushing agent first, or is it all right to just drain completely and replace the coolant? Thanks, John
VC-9 is an iron cleaner and is necessary for the diesel according to the techs in our area.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Originally Posted by hubler13f
You should flush until the water coming out is as clear as the water going in.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by 69cj
You should flush until the water coming out is as clear as the water going in.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...nge-101-a.html

Just follow them.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM
hubler13f
Elder User
Originally Posted by blockmanjohn
I would definately recommend using the VC9 especially after seeing the crap that it washed out of my coolant system. It is quite pricey, I spent $56 for 2 quarts of it but after seeing the crap that it knocked out of my engine I would definatly recommend it. Also add a coolant filter when you can. Dieselsites filter is a great setup and it looks good when you pop the hood.

Quick Reply: screwed up my coolant flush, what would you do?