1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 V10 head gasket leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 AM
narcicus
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 V10 head gasket leak?

So my 02 has developed an external oil leak at the head gasket. I've owned it since new and only got 130000kilometers on the truck. Not happy is an understatement as it's going to be about $1600 to replace.
I'm torn between trading her in for a new unit but I went trhough the "first model" year thing in 99 and don't want to face that challenge again. But do I replace both sides since everythings going to be torn down anyway for another 300 bucks and how long will she last anyway.
Has anyone else had a head gasket go and what are your thoughts?
All opinions welcomed.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never heard of the V10 developing oil leaks from head gasket... Has it ever been overheated? Or turbocharged? Or otherwise stressed beyond normal applications?

Are YOU sure it is the head gasket? Or is it valve cover or sensor and the mechanic has a boat payment coming due? A second opinion is very much in order.

BTW, changing head gaskets on these is a VERY straightforward process - about as easy as they come. Yes, it has to be done right, but it is not ultra time consuming. Don't let them BS you into believing otherwise.

If if is the head gasket, I would say do only the one. As I said, very very rare. The odds of two going bad on a well maintained/non-abused truck are infinitesimal. Much lower than the risk of a new gasket not sealing properly.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwsF250
I've never heard of the V10 developing oil leaks from head gasket... Has it ever been overheated? Or turbocharged? Or otherwise stressed beyond normal applications?

Are YOU sure it is the head gasket? Or is it valve cover or sensor and the mechanic has a boat payment coming due? A second opinion is very much in order.

X2 on making sure it is even the head gasket. Was the leak diagnosed by your or by a mechanic? Is the oil leak at the top of the head near the valve cover or on the bottom near the head gasket? With a blown head gasket you should be leaking coolant, not oil.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM
narcicus
Senior User
It's never been overheated or at least not according to the guage. I have done limited towing with it but this past summer did pull a 5th wheel from Edmonton to Seattle and back. It was working pretty good through some of the mountain passes. I noticed there was oil on the tranny bell housing on the passenger side a few weeks ago and when I looked to see where it was coming from I could see oil was on the starter and the exhaust manifold. The valve cover was dry and the oil looked to be collecting around the frost plugs and coming from the bottom of the head at the back by the firewall. The top half looked clean and dry. I brought it in to a dealer to have them check it out and they said it was the head gasket. Their estimate is 14 hours of labour (124/hr) plus $700 in parts for doing the one side. I know it's odd to be leaking oil and that's why I asked at the dealership if it was something to be concerned about. (Internal coolant leak versus external oil leak) Do you think an external oil leak demands immediate replacement as I might be facing an internal coolant leak real quick or is it something that can wait a while? I may have to rethink getting the other side done as a precaution if it's an iffy thing.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14hrs X 124.00 (labor) = 1736 + 700 (parts) = $2436.00. Just don't want you walking in there with a check for $1600.00. Especially when a shop is going to charge you for 14hrs even if they get it done in 3hrs.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:44 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phillips91
X2 on making sure it is even the head gasket. Was the leak diagnosed by your or by a mechanic? Is the oil leak at the top of the head near the valve cover or on the bottom near the head gasket? With a blown head gasket you should be leaking coolant, not oil.
Depends...I've seen head gaskets leak oil, though coolant is more common. All it has to do is miss the water jacket ports.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Still, a head gasket issue in a Triton engine is very uncommon.

I would get a second opinion and additional quotes.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:17 PM
narcicus
Senior User
yeah the 2400 was the dealer price plus coolant, plus oil, plus exhaust manifold bolts most likely. The 1600 was a local engine rebuilder who said he'd also put in new plugs while he was at it and if I wanted the other side done he would do that for an addtional 350 bucks. It sounded a lot more reasonable.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by narcicus
It's never been overheated or at least not according to the guage. I have done limited towing with it but this past summer did pull a 5th wheel from Edmonton to Seattle and back. It was working pretty good through some of the mountain passes. I noticed there was oil on the tranny bell housing on the passenger side a few weeks ago and when I looked to see where it was coming from I could see oil was on the starter and the exhaust manifold. The valve cover was dry and the oil looked to be collecting around the frost plugs and coming from the bottom of the head at the back by the firewall. The top half looked clean and dry. I brought it in to a dealer to have them check it out and they said it was the head gasket. Their estimate is 14 hours of labour (124/hr) plus $700 in parts for doing the one side. I know it's odd to be leaking oil and that's why I asked at the dealership if it was something to be concerned about. (Internal coolant leak versus external oil leak) Do you think an external oil leak demands immediate replacement as I might be facing an internal coolant leak real quick or is it something that can wait a while? I may have to rethink getting the other side done as a precaution if it's an iffy thing.

Sounds like abuse is not a factor. That's just using the truck as intended!
I am trying to remember what the oil passage through head gasket situation is on this engine, but in general, an oil leak to the outside is NOT going to lead to a coolant or combustion chamber leak. Unless the root cause is undertorqued or broken head bolts, which is extremely unlikely. If the leak is just a weep, I'd say there is less than 1% chance it's going to develop into something major any time soon.

I stull have to suspect oil coming out out somewhere higher and stealthily traveling along seams and stuff and appearing down there.

An old trick: Clean the heck out it (brake cleaner works great) and then spray the areas in question with aerosol foot powder until it has a nice white coat. Get a buddy, a couple loooooong handled mirrors, a couple flashlights, and start watching. As soon as the leak starts weeping, the white coating will immediately turn brown, making it easy to spot the source.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM
narcicus
Senior User
No she's been well serviced and definitely been worked a few times but never abused. I do what I can for the most part but this is out of my league. I stopped by the engine rebuilder on my way home to see what he thought about leaving it for a while. He said it may just be a return passage? and it may not be a huge issue but no way to be sure by just looking at it. He added using a little heavier oil may be enough to minimize the oil loss. (about 1 liter per 1000km when I was towing the trailer). I think I 'll wait another week and try the foot powder trick and see what I can find. If anything maybe I'll get a better idea how much oil is weeping and at the very least my engine should smell better