95 Ranger transmission removal question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
gsthompson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Ranger transmission removal question

Hi All,

Replacing the clutch in my 95 Ranger (2WD, 2.3L, 4 cyl) and have a few questions about what to expect.

My Haynes manual says to put a jack (with a piece of wood) under the engine oil pan to support the engine while removing the transmission. Does anyone do this? Is the engine supported enough by the motor mounts?
Just want to check to see what others are doing. This seems like it could break the oil pan.

Also, I know that the top 2 transmission bolts are going to be tricky to remove. I'm assuming that lowering the transmission slightly with the transmission jack tilts the engine back to expose these bolts. Does the engine tend to rotate back once the transmission is removed? How difficult will it be to put the top bolts back in?

Thanks for any information.

Just George

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes you need to put a jack or support under the engine to keep from overstressing the rubber engine mounts. Everyone SHOULD do this but some will I am sure say its not needed.

Put a 1x4 or a 2x4 on top of a bottle jack or place some wood on a brick or something to add support. You may need a long extension to reach the bolts not sure since I have a V6 not a 4cyl.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:48 PM
gsthompson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Hank.

I'll follow your suggesting.