General Automotive Discussion

Zombie survival, FTE style...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:29 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My rig does fine at higher atlitude thanks to the turbo pack so I'd be happy to pitch in with more hauling if the situation calls for it. Cold starting doesn't seem to be an issue either.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 AM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to the survival force plums72!

i dont think elevation is really gonna matter a whole lot to us as we will all be in a group. temperature shouldnt make to much of a matter either since we will rarely shut our rigs down, and we can put cardboard in front of your rad to help the hell runner stay warm.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David85
As a former alarmist now turned vocal skeptic, I can say I don't want to argue it here either LOL.
Well, I think it's agreed then. Enough whether talk for one day.

Never really thought about weather & elevation on my truck before. Ran good the half dozen or mire times I've taken it through the Appalachians, but I don't know if those are really tall or not. Never had any of my trucks overheat either. Just need as new battery and I'll be set for winter.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 AM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Elevations would mostly affect non-turbo diesel trucks like my dually, fortunately as I already mentioned she can run against the governor all day long so that's just what I do when I have to pull a grade up high - drop a gear and foot to the floor About any big truck is turbocharged tho, so there will be no issues with those, and gassers don't seem to suffer much from oxygen deprivation at high altitudes either.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
gassers don't seem to suffer much from oxygen deprivation at high altitudes either.
I'm at 4,500 feet and don't have any problems - dunno what it's like higher up but with all this ethanol fuel, I'm wondering if fuel consumption goes up as the air gets thinner...

Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Truckin4life
Street Queen to the extr3m3
The fords rule would be trashed immedietly.
What about the vw jetta tdr?
I think thats right, but point is there are plenty of smaller vehicles that get amazing mileage and still run on diesel.
The jetta's are quick and nimble to boot.

The f-22 was an example.
But hi-speed transport would be a nice luxury in the future.

really alot of this stuff would be lying around in disrepair, until somebody came along and tried to get it to work.
Its those people that will propel humanity back into a full population.
Yes survival would be key, i think a supermax prison would be a good place to have a "home base"
The airforce base just out side of colorado springs is pretty large, im sure there are previsions there to communicate with all other military radio's...
Seems like a good place to get gear after you can be sure that they are clear.

As for zombie's remebering where tunnels and things are at.
If they can hardly remember how to work a door handle how will they remember what tunnel goes wear.
Walkin out infront of a truck goes against every instinct a human has,
but zombie's do it all the time...

Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
The fords rule would be trashed immedietly.
What about the vw jetta tdr?
I think thats right, but point is there are plenty of smaller vehicles that get amazing mileage and still run on diesel.
The jetta's are quick and nimble to boot.
I think that in a life or death situation, I'm not going to get to picky. But to me, in a zombie apocalypse, I'd like to be driving something that can ride over debris in the road, or take a shortcut if needed. The other nice thing a about a truck is the payload allows us to carry what we need to survive. Plus there is the whole interchangeable parts benefit. I don't think I would turn someone away if they weren't driving a truck. But I know what I'll be driving.

I think ultimately, it's good to be versatile, and having multiple vehicle types is probably a great idea. But when it comes to mowing down a hoard of zombies. I don't think a Jetta would be ideal.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:24 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
Does anyone know what the best use for my truck would be? Being that it's a RC/SB f150. It's about as light as they get. But still sporting 4x4 1 351 and 3.08 gears. It can run 95mph+ all day long (2250 rpm) and never break a sweat.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
i know my truck is a hog, but it ran 70 to 85 mph at and over 8000 ft with 10,000 lbs. (go 460! ) i dont think elevation will be too much of an issue for most of us anyways.

agreed. yes, fuel WILL be a concern, but i sure a hell aint gonna get caught without enough vehicle, if you catch my drift.

and skyfox, i think you would make a good scout.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Truckin4life
As for zombie's remebering where tunnels and things are at.
If they can hardly remember how to work a door handle how will they remember what tunnel goes wear.
Walkin out infront of a truck goes against every instinct a human has,
but zombie's do it all the time...
I ain't worried about them intentionally hiding in there to ambush us, I'm more concerned with some of them finding their way down there by accident or while trying to escape zombification while still in human form - then they would be sort of a loose cannon, as we'd never know how many of them (if any) are actually down there until some find their way out. And even if they did stay self-contained down there, some of our guys may come across them on accident, which increases the risk of infection - I've seen some service tunnels that are such a mess of piping and conduits and such that in case of a zombie outbreak I personally would not go down there unless wearing full body armor...

Originally Posted by skyfox10
Does anyone know what the best use for my truck would be? Being that it's a RC/SB f150. It's about as light as they get. But still sporting 4x4 1 351 and 3.08 gears. It can run 95mph+ all day long (2250 rpm) and never break a sweat.
High speed recon and evac for personnel in stranded vehicles?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:49 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
^^^^ agreed.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Truckin4life
I think that in a life or death situation, I'm not going to get to picky. But to me, in a zombie apocalypse, I'd like to be driving something that can ride over debris in the road, or take a shortcut if needed. The other nice thing a about a truck is the payload allows us to carry what we need to survive. Plus there is the whole interchangeable parts benefit. I don't think I would turn someone away if they weren't driving a truck. But I know what I'll be driving.

I think ultimately, it's good to be versatile, and having multiple vehicle types is probably a great idea. But when it comes to mowing down a hoard of zombies. I don't think a Jetta would be ideal.
I see the point there, but the idea was high speed quick manevurable recon vehicles that would burn diesel fuel, a recon truck should be light and nimble not a beast to blast through the hoards...
Just an idea, something to keep in mind.
They could be trailered and used when neccesary.

Im still against hauling 2 types of fuel, but i think a recon recovery rig would be good, maybe a quick in and out supply truck?

Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA
I ain't worried about them intentionally hiding in there to ambush us, I'm more concerned with some of them finding their way down there by accident or while trying to escape zombification while still in human form - then they would be sort of a loose cannon, as we'd never know how many of them (if any) are actually down there until some find their way out. And even if they did stay self-contained down there, some of our guys may come across them on accident, which increases the risk of infection - I've seen some service tunnels that are such a mess of piping and conduits and such that in case of a zombie outbreak I personally would not go down there unless wearing full body armor...

High speed recon and evac for personnel in stranded vehicles?
I see you are thinking into this more than some others, bravo on that.
But service tunnels are in accesible to the general prison population. So that would leave only staff left. Not like we would be missing much, seal them up for awhile until the zombie's die off ( if possible ) or until proper cell extraction/ riot gear is obtained so we can clear said passages.

The building would need to be swept meticilously as to be assured we are the only people, dead or undead there...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:14 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
im not a fan of holdin up anywhere. eventually the zombies will figure out that we are there and will try to get at us. id rather stay on the move...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Truckin4life
We will need crews of people to go out for supplies of course, but a cental base will be important.
Zombies dont communicate, we will have to fight for awhile, but with the supermax prison, in and out is not exactly a cake walk.
We can fortify and defend our selves with relative easy to be honest.
Stock up on as much weapons and ammo as possible, explosive's either mil surplus home made what ever.
We can make a heck of a stand in a place like levinworth...
Just an example, not really a central location though.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 PM
460/5
Zombie Survivalist
also, im not really likin the idea of fightin "inmate zombies"... or havin to clean up their dead bodies...

Quick Reply: Zombie survival, FTE style...