PCM question (Franklin?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
drumfield
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PCM question (Franklin?)

I have a '85 F250 4x4 w/460 carbed. Have been thinking of swapping out the c6 for an E4OD, for better mileage. As a possible jy alternative to the aftermarket controllers, could a PCM from an early deisel with this trans be used, and if so, where would i get the rpm signal from?

Old 03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
Yes, you could use the stand alone diesel unit. The signal for rpm came from the tach sensor, the road speed or vss sensor came from the rearend. If your truck has rear abs brakes, you might already have that sensor mounted in the top of the rearend.

If not, do some research in the hotrod world and the 5.0 mustang swap areas. They sometimes have adapters that fit inline with the speedo cable that will give the appropriate signal for the road speed sensor. They are always swapping these units into all kinds of hotrods and older mustangs.

Since you have a ignition system that the diesel did not have, you may be able to get the rpm signal from it somehow. The EECIV got it's signal from the TFI ignition module that mounted on the side of the dist. I am supposing you have a duraspark II system with the box on the fender. Need to do some research to find out what type of signal the EECIV needs.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 PM
drumfield
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, no ABS, and yes, Duraspark II. If it gave out the right # of pulses per mile, could I use my existing "sending unit" for the cruise? Overall, I know that system doesn't work, but I think the "sender" still does.Will look into the EEC IV, if I can locate the info, but from what my gut instinct tells me, from reading troubleshooting tips, the rpm sensor on diesels works like the VSS, and my tach is, naturally, on the coil. Not sure if it could hook there. Thanks for the info, will "hit the books", for sure.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,660 Likes on 1,342 Posts
I did a little research and am not sure what you can do to hook the rpm input up on the diesel computer. You could try the tach signal on your ignition system, but it's a shot in the dark, I am not sure it will work.