Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

my new Custom 3.5" Single Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you think a Magnaflow 14151 will tone it down a bit more than the Dynomax? MagnaFlow 14151 - MagnaFlow Stainless Steel Race Series Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Have you driven it under load? I'm sure that thing barks pretty good.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:16 PM
93_F250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks FORDF250HXLT for this post and the pictures - I decided to do pretty much the same thing.

Most of my exhaust components arrived yesterday. I'm going 3.5" from the downpipe (3") but I still need to find the right 45* that will take it up the firewall and couple with the DP.

I went with the same muffler but with 4" flanges and purchased a 3.5" to 4" reducer to mate the intermediate pipe up.

The reason why I did this was I noticed you couldn't find a ready made solution for the tail pipe to go over the axle and out.

I couldn't either - at least in a 3.5" - but I found a 4" complete exhaust kit for the 7.3L N/A (Summit # 19340) that includes a ready made tailpipe and discovered they sell the tailpipe as a separate replacement for $62 + $9 extra shipping. (Summit part# 54387) when you see the complete exhaust kits it goes with (19430) the application is for the 88-94 F250. You can see a picture of the tail pipe in the kit.

Sweet!! That's much cheaper then buying a bunch of 90* bends to trying to make a tail pipe (thats what my OEM unit looks like) and I can't find a shop that will bend 3.5" tube. (which would cost even more $$)

It's still on order. I purchased a 4" to 5" polished tip to finish off the look. The 4" pipe will look burly especially with the 5" polished tip.

I'll post a picture when everything arrives.. Hope this will help you out..

Old 03-27-2010, 01:36 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mechelement
Do you think a Magnaflow 14151 will tone it down a bit more than the Dynomax? MagnaFlow 14151 - MagnaFlow Stainless Steel Race Series Mufflers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Have you driven it under load? I'm sure that thing barks pretty good.
Jason,
No i don't.It's pretty much the same style muffler(just costs more)
i would recommend going with a milder muffler for your use.like the Dynomax Turbo muffler.
try this one:
this ones still a good performance,but will have a little bit more back pressure.but you need to compromise somewhere.it's doubtful the IDI will even know it's there anyway.
notice that part number is one of a few 3" in/out mufflers.But it's also the longest.this extra length will help keep the noise down for your horses.
i can't promise this one would be tame enough for you.but this is the one i would start with.anything beyond this,will likely be to much for hauling horses.

Originally Posted by 93_F250
Thanks FORDF250HXLT for this post and the pictures - I decided to do pretty much the same thing.

Most of my exhaust components arrived yesterday. I'm going 3.5" from the downpipe (3") but I still need to find the right 45* that will take it up the firewall and couple with the DP.

I went with the same muffler but with 4" flanges and purchased a 3.5" to 4" reducer to mate the intermediate pipe up.

The reason why I did this was I noticed you couldn't find a ready made solution for the tail pipe to go over the axle and out.

I couldn't either - at least in a 3.5" - but I found a 4" complete exhaust kit for the 7.3L N/A (Summit # 19340) that includes a ready made tailpipe and discovered they sell the tailpipe as a separate replacement for $62 + $9 extra shipping. (Summit part# 54387) when you see the complete exhaust kits it goes with (19430) the application is for the 88-94 F250. You can see a picture of the tail pipe in the kit.

Sweet!! That's much cheaper then buying a bunch of 90* bends to trying to make a tail pipe (thats what my OEM unit looks like) and I can't find a shop that will bend 3.5" tube. (which would cost even more $$)

It's still on order. I purchased a 4" to 5" polished tip to finish off the look. The 4" pipe will look burly especially with the 5" polished tip.

I'll post a picture when everything arrives.. Hope this will help you out..
I never had plans to exit out back.was always my plans to exit in front of the tire.so i never tried to find a tail pipe.
due to always bending them up backing into brush piles etc,i always exit in front of the rear pass tire.
if i where to look for one,i would search for 94.5-97 PSD exhausts though.you should be able to find a tail pipe like that easy enough.
i see you found one though,so your all set.

yeah,same results as me then uh.i guess most mandrel benders only go up to 3".
maybe in a big city or something,or a custom diesel muffler shop they buy the larger benders.they probably cost a lot more is why most places don't have them.

your going to love the setup im sure of it.can't wait to hear what you think and pics! get ready for a big deep tone.yeah that's going to look nice with a 5" tip

Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 PM
93_F250
Senior User
Actually - that is the better way to - I wish I would have known before, I would have purchased a 3.5" 90* and welded on a 4" tip and saved some $$ and hassles.

I guess I just look at things to traditional at times...

Old 03-27-2010, 09:13 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 93_F250
Actually - that is the better way to - I wish I would have known before, I would have purchased a 3.5" 90* and welded on a 4" tip and saved some $$ and hassles.

I guess I just look at things to traditional at times...
its going to be a big deep tone (even more so in your case with the 4" pipe)
that most likely your going to be glad you run it out back.so don't feel bad just yet.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:37 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Just for anyones info, i was told the same thing for a y pipe fabrication and i about shat. After some searching i found a 3 inch two in one out Y from magnaflow. It is about 40-50 bucks. I have gotten really good at making the y's now so i may just start making them as a production!! hahaha.

EDIT autoanything.com has them for 26 bucks. Wow good time for a sale!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
Jason,
No i don't.It's pretty much the same style muffler(just costs more)
i would recommend going with a milder muffler for your use.like the Dynomax Turbo muffler.
try this one:
this ones still a good performance,but will have a little bit more back pressure.but you need to compromise somewhere.it's doubtful the IDI will even know it's there anyway.
notice that part number is one of a few 3" in/out mufflers.But it's also the longest.this extra length will help keep the noise down for your horses.
i can't promise this one would be tame enough for you.but this is the one i would start with.anything beyond this,will likely be to much for hauling horses.
Wow, I missed this post. Thanks for the info. Your truck sounds pretty sweet. I'd like to go with a 3.5" exhaust like that. I'm trying to put my necessary mods in order.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
your welcome,and thanks.
iv since tossed that 90 degree elbow.since i removed it,it's actually much quieter in the cab.at first i thought it helped.
i didn't have any luck trying to rig up a 90/45 combo or anything to get me out in front of the tire,so i took those parts back and gained back some $ of course.
im likely going to check around and perhaps travel to a shop who can bend 3.5" pipe and have a nice tail pipe fit.
perhaps i'll just have a 3" pipe fit here,as i wouldn't mind a little less deep tone anyway.she is pretty strong sounding when im hauling (which is often) however,im going to wait until after i install the under body tool box.

yeah,i know the feeling Jason.it's important to try and stick with a game plan.
i can't wait until im closer to being finished.i like working on her enough,but man i'll be happy when the bulk of the transformation is complete lol.

i moved up this mod,due to today's fuel prices.i figured the sooner i did this one,the sooner i could start saving a bit on fuel.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Very nice XLT, Just a couple months and mine will be there !!!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
your going to find the perfect engine,or be able to repair yours Rick.we're all rooting for ya!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Thanks ,Im realy leaning towards a {new} rebuilt,after Im positive this one is really gone,,lots of cash but I think well worth it in the long haul.My best freind gave me his 85,with a 6.9 that runs but wouldnt you know he lives in Nebraska??

Old 04-24-2010, 09:16 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
I was just quoted on the phone:

Custom fabricated exhaust manifold to y-pipe collector, 3" exhaust out the back, all welded and new hangers with a good Dynomax muffler for $480.

I was surprised they couldn't bend 3.5" pipe.

Is 3.5" absolutely necessary for future turbo?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, But bigger is better to a point.

Most shops can't bend anything over 3", thats why >3" is so costly.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 04-24-2010, 09:49 AM
mechelement
Cargo Master
For the Powerstroke, you just buy a plug and play kit to bolt up under the truck. It's really straight forward. For the IDI, there's nothing like that, so you have to have something custom built.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:08 AM
wreckinball
Postmaster
Even if you throw in the welder I am 100 bucks under that cost estimate. And mine is dual 3" to single 4". If I had to pay for that custom stack things would be different. Lol. Again like I say every time, get the mandrel bent pipe and cut/weld it to fit. You do not need to have it bent. For thinwall pipe you only need a wire feed arc welder. If you are patient, the welds look factory but I grind them down for coating anyway. To each their own!

Quick Reply: my new Custom 3.5" Single Exhaust