1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pictures of the UFO!!! ( unidentified Falling Object)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Barndon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures of the UFO!!! ( unidentified Falling Object)

alright folks, i finally got the pictures up and running. the actual thread i recently posted was on the 9th page or so, so i figured no one would see it and reply on it so i just opened another thread. so if this thread needs to be moved then feel free to bump it. thanks. here's my situation then pics will follow:

my girlfriend has a 2000 F250 7.3. the other day right before an eight hour drive she went to get diesel a block from my house. once she fueled up and started the truck she went to shift her gear ( automatic ) onto drive. she pressed the break, put it into drive, then upon released the pressur from the break pedal a part fell on her foot. she came home and showed me the part and i took a look at it. i don't have any pictures of it yet as we went on the trip anyways (in my truck) so here's a description to the best of my ability: it's a small metal piece ( about 3 or 4 inches and looked like a small chizzle. the thicker upper part has a small hole in it, then narrows down to almost flat. just like a chizzle with a hole on the top. i did notice it had grease on it if that helps any. When i took a look this is what i saw: i first inspected for any visible damage which i saw none of. nothing looked out of the ordinary and nothing seemed to be missing. upon closer inspection i noticed the metal deal that has the two screws in it that control the lever selector was really loose. nothing seemed to be missing there, so i went ahead and tightened those screws. the selector switch did get much firmer but again nothing looked to be missing. i look all over the break peddle, accelerator and everywhere else. but couldn't find anything. finally i went to my truck (2001 F350) to compare parts and see if i could find the unidentified part in my truck. this too failed as i searched everywhere and still couldn't find it. any of yall have any ideas as to what this part could be. I do believe it has to do with the break, or selector switch as these are the symptoms the truck is experiencing: when the truck is off, the truck will roll ( if so slightly down hill) on Park, Drive, Neutral, 1, and 2. with the truck on it does not except for neutral as it should. also once you put the truck back into park and turn it off you can't turn it back on. (seems as if the truck is not going into "park" unless you physically take the selector lever and push it another quarter inch or so to the left. you can feel the "click" then the key is able to go ford and crank the truck. any ideas ! i'm completely stumped on this one. please shed some light if you've the slightest idea of what this is. thanks yall.

link to the pictures. S.M.I.T.H's FTE Stuff Photo Album - MySpace Photos

Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have looked at mine and dont see that part?????????????

Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
yme450
Senior User
just a guess but to me it looks like a shim for the steering column.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Barndon
Senior User
i know !!! i looked in my 2001 and couldn't find it either. if it is that part you speak of to the steering colomn. how can i fix it ? is it important ?

Old 03-19-2010, 06:18 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it might be # 12 in this pic. Have you taken the shroud off and looked. It should go on the lower part of the gearshift column. Maybe a pin just fell out?

www.partsguyed.com

Old 03-19-2010, 06:35 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Name:  column shift selector plunger.gif
Views: 439
Size:  5.6 KB

Looks like this part to me. Same as part #12. It's inside the column. You won't be able to see on without removing the covers and gear shift. There is a pin that goes through the hole. I have more accompanying pics, but my computer is slow right now.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Barndon
Senior User
got it ! that's the part. now where in the column is that ? any one have step by step instructions to replace this ? is the pin part of teh column or is that probably lost when the larger peice fell. if so any know where i cna get another pin? thanks for the help.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:18 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
How far have you taken it apart? I have not replaced that part. I had mine all torn apart to replace the bushings on the gearshift (#8 in the above pic) Here is a pic of mine all torn apart: IM004917.jpg picture by galexander - Photobucket I believe that part comes up from the bottom of the gearshift column between the upper and lower bushing.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:23 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
I have a couple more pics that may be helpful. Yes, the part is in the lower part of the column just above the lever for the shift cable. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't had this apart either. Bear with me and I will get the pics uploaded and posted.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Man, this is more fun than "where's Waldo" !

So what is this piece suppose to do?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Barndon
Senior User
i havn't torn it apart yet, as i'm not to experienced with this stuff. i'm holding off till i can get a step by step instruction to start ripp'n stuff apart. specially since it's my gf's truck. she'll have my head if i do anything wrong. looking at that last picture you have posted that plate where the #1 is. both those screws there were really loose when i looked. i did tighten those up, and it made the shifter alot firmer and not all flimsy. is that related to where this part goes ?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Barndon
Senior User
what i've gathered from messing with the truck is this piece has something to do with locking in the exact gear you want. i'm thinking something similiar to a chalking block. without it the truck will roll in park, reverse, nuetral, drive so on so forth. so i guess with that peice in, it keeps the gear where it should. i have no idea how accurate my estimation is but that's what i've got from experimenting. if some one can correct me please feel free to share the truth ! thanks.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:11 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CPUNeck
Man, this is more fun than "where's Waldo" !

So what is this piece suppose to do?
This is serious stuff stop kidding around.

Aren't you missing some parts from the same area?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:17 PM
CPUNeck
Elder User
Originally Posted by tdpower
This is serious stuff stop kidding around.

Aren't you missing some parts from the same area?
Man, you don't forget anything! One day, one of my FTE buddies is going to square me away with exactly what part I LOST

Quick Reply: Pictures of the UFO!!! ( unidentified Falling Object)