1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Where to buy paint for my restoration? What brand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 PM
benmoderow
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where to buy paint for my restoration? What brand?

I'm just about ready to paint my 76 F350. I've pretty much decided on keeping it the stock Hatteras Green Metallic. I've heard it's a rare color and it's the only green I've seen on a truck that I actually like. What is a good quality brand to go with, that I can get this color in? I found one company offering it for $80 a quart, but it was Sherwin Williams. When I think of them I think of house paint, not quality auto paint. Thanks for any responses!

Old 03-17-2010, 10:40 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Dupont bases, because that's what nearly every professional shop mixes. Then top it with PPG CeramiClear. Here's a Ranger hood I panted....

Now, this is a picture of a BLACK hood. It's my REFLECTION you see. This is "as sprayed".....BEFORE I sanded and polished it. You should be able to get your original color in Dupont Chroma two-stage for about $150 - $200 gallon for base. But the paint must be reduced and will yield 2 sprayable gallons. Give me your paint code and I'll check on it for you.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM
Redneckryder
Tuned
pppssshhhhh.....i can do that with rustoleum....lol!! just kiddin dude-that hood looks killer! I thought it was chrome till i read it.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 AM
benmoderow
Tuned
My paint code is 8. That hood looks sweet! Do you get your paint through a local shop or through a national source? Also, I would imagine it's best to use the same company's product through the whole process, and not mix and match? Thanks

Old 03-18-2010, 12:35 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude, how in the heck did you get the clear so flat?! Nice job.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Originally Posted by benmoderow
My paint code is 8. That hood looks sweet! Do you get your paint through a local shop or through a national source? Also, I would imagine it's best to use the same company's product through the whole process, and not mix and match? Thanks
Ok, the black base was a special order. I actually ordered it from O'reilly's. They could get it cheaper than anyone else. It comes straight from Dupont ready to spray (after it's reduced). If you just go to the paint store and tell them you want some black paint, they will mix it. What you don't realize is that it has more than just black in it. They also mix in red, green, yellow or even some white. The black I use is a pure black, with a slight blue side tone. Nearly all OEM blacks have a red or brown side tone.

The clear is a scratch resistant clear from PPG. It was actually developed for Mercedes. It's designed to prevent swirl marks from automatic car washes. Now THAT stuff was hard to get. No one would ship it to me, and no store around here sold PPG. The nearest place that could order it was in FLORIDA. They delivered it to a branch store in Mobile, AL. Then I had to drive to Mobile and get it. A few months later, a PPG dealer opened up here. But, they are out of business now.

Anyways, going back to your original question about mixing and matching. I would stick with Dupont for primer, sealer, adhesion promoter and base coat. This is because Dupont uses a universal system. The same reducer and activator is used with all products, with the same ratio. This helps prevent mixing accidents. With the exeption of black, I mix all other colors myself.....using the Dupont Chroma line of paints. I have a connection with a body shop. They let me mix and buy paint directly from them. If you are using a two-stage paint, there shouldn't be any problem with using a different brand clear on top. I really like the PPG. It's EXTREMELY scratch resistant. It also lays like glass. The results speak for themselves:

Also, no matter how good the paint is, it will NEVER cover up bad body work. In fact, your body work has to be PERFECT too pull off a paint job like this.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:19 PM
wyo_overkill
Freshman User
the paint looks awesome. love to see some pics of the truck all put together!

Old 03-18-2010, 08:42 PM
benmoderow
Tuned
WOW! That looks awesome! Are you a proffesional paint guy? There's nothing I like more than a glossy finish on a vehicle. You wouldn't by any chance have the product number off that clear do ya? I may check into it. I've always owned black trucks, but have been thinking of doing my 76 the stock color.........but seeing your stuff is making me rethink that! At first I was going to do black, so I ordered primer and sealer in a brand called Kirker. But now if I do the stock color I may have to go with dupont, would you reccomend returning the stuff I've bought and go with straight dupont like you said or would I be fine with a different base coat brand?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
i prefer krylon. you can get it in custom colors too!j/k

Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
OK, are you sure your code isn't 'B'?? I looked it up today and 8 is yellow green. B is jade. I couldn't find anything with the name you mentioned earlier. I'm posting this from my cell phone. Ill write back with more detail later.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:45 PM
benmoderow
Tuned
Strange ain't it! I'm possitive it's 8, I've checked a dozen times. I found a truck on here that was the same color and the guy said it was hatteras green. I googled it and got nothing. Found a ppg color chart from 76 and nothing by that name. Last night I found a sherwin williams web site and they had 8 as the hatteras green. They're the only ones I've found that call it that. It's definetly not Jade, but there's definetly nothing yellow about it. I called a "local" paint store (still an hour away) today and they told me the best thing to do was bring in a sample of some kind to show them. Off topic, I see you're in Hattiesburg.......ever have any Brett Favre sightings? I'm about an hour from Green Bay so for 17 years everything revolved around him. Some hard feelings now though. LOL

Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Strange ain't it! I'm possitive it's 8, I've checked a dozen times. I found a truck on here that was the same color and the guy said it was hatteras green. I googled it and got nothing. Found a ppg color chart from 76 and nothing by that name. Last night I found a sherwin williams web site and they had 8 as the hatteras green. They're the only ones I've found that call it that. It's definetly not Jade, but there's definetly nothing yellow about it. I called a "local" paint store (still an hour away) today and they told me the best thing to do was bring in a sample of some kind to show them. Off topic, I see you're in Hattiesburg.......ever have any Brett Favre sightings? I'm about an hour from Green Bay so for 17 years everything revolved around him. Some hard feelings now though. LOL
Brett lives on highway 98 between Hattiesburg and Colombia MS, been by his "estate" many times

Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
red56rod
New User
looks good now its time to sand and buff it to a great shine

Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Originally Posted by red56rod
looks good now its time to sand and buff it to a great shine
.......already got that covered

Well.......the name may have been incorrect on the system where I looked it up. But, it's pretty much obsolete anyway. Most of those colors from the 70's, if even still available, are only available in the fleet series of paints. You might be able to find somone who has it in their system. But I was using the computer at the Ford dealership. So....if anyone had a Dupont mix for it, I would think they would. Do you have a pic you could send? So I could get an idea of what your original color looks like?

Your primers should be compatible with any top coat. However, I would choose one brand and stick with it. Dupont uses the same reducer and activator for all products. That will cut down on your material costs. I'll get you the part number for the PPG clear if you're interested. The only downside is that the stuff is a real PITA to sand and buff. You have to use a special compound and pad. The stuff will burn a hole right through conventional clear........but will barely even put a dent in the PPG stuff.

I've never personally ran into Brett Farve. But I have some friends at the local Outback Steak House...and they say he's been in there from time to time. And, like the other guy said, I drive by his place all the time.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM
5466ford
Freshman User

I show the paint code for Hatteras Green as 8. Mercurystuff.com has a color sample on their website and the following information:

Link 1976 Ford Colors
Code: 4V
Number: 5233
Color: Dark Yellow Green Metallic
Sales Name: Hatteras Green

Hope this helps,
Mike

Quick Reply: Where to buy paint for my restoration? What brand?