Sponsored by: Moser

K&N

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Sayer Lane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N

Hey guys, I recently put a k&n air filter on my truck and its great so far. I was wondering if anyone knew of any drawbacks of the k&n filter or if there are any. Thanks

--Sayer

Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 PM
82ford302
Senior User
as long as you keep the filter cleaned as the manufacture supplies with the instructions, the filter will last many years. only drawback imo is the price compared to others lol.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Sayer Lane
Senior User
Yea the price was a bit steep but it'll be saving me some money in the long run I think. Because during the summer when it doesn't rain it get so dusty my other filter clog up fast, so I'm hoping this one will be much better.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like dry washable filters but K and N are great.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:12 AM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
Drawbacks?? They cost more than a paper filter, require more maintenance and do not filter as well. A better question would be if there are any advantages to a K&N filter.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:21 AM
inkertinker
Junior User
Originally Posted by HillbillyDeluxe81
Drawbacks?? They cost more than a paper filter, require more maintenance and do not filter as well. A better question would be if there are any advantages to a K&N filter.
why do they not filter as well?

Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 AM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
They do not filter as well because most people do not properly maintain them. At their best, they do not do anything an OEM filter will not do. If you do not maintain them, they will degrade over time. If they ever get damaged, it's permanent. It will never be 100% again.

Look at commercial and industrial engines. They all use paper filters for a reason. They are idiot proof and cost less in the long run.

The only application where a washable filter is beneficial is racing / off-road use. But even in that application, there are other filters superior to the k&n. Overall, it is a very poor design.

Sorry if I have offended anyone who has drank the kool-aid.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 AM
inkertinker
Junior User
No offense, if you do not maintain a paper filter then you will not maintain a K&N filter to me means you would not spend the extra money to get an K&N so buy a filter do not change it, you are in the same boat.

I use K&N filters clean them twice a year, cheaper in the long run.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 AM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
None taken. You're right, I don't maintain my paper filter. Thats because there is no maintenance on a paper filter. You simply replace it. I can change my paper filter in 15 seconds in a parts store parking lot, without any special cleaners, oils or running water. Can you do that with your k&n? Fact is, its more of a hassle. That means MOST people will not maintain it as often as they should. If you enjoy wasting time cleaning your inferior filter, that's great. However, I'll stick with paper filters on my street vehicles. And, keep using foam filters off-road.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:12 AM
johnboy427
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have nothing against them but I don't believe any of the hype either. I don't run them any more mainly because I don't drive that much so I can get a couple years out of a paper filter so its not worth the expense. As for the extra flow and all that jazz, I just really don't buy it. We had one of those nifty little displays at the auto parts store I worked at in high school, you the one with the fan and the ping pong ball you put the K&N filter in and it goes up to the top of the tube and with the fram it doesn't move as much air and the ball falls. Well after about a year it got pretty ratty looking and we hadn't had a customer in a couple hours so we go bored and I decided to go clean it. I used the K&N cleaning kit and reoiled it and low and behold the ping pong ball wouldn't go to the top of the tube any more and we had to get display. I think they ship the filters and do their tests with the filters pretty dry (and they don't catch dirt dry) and after the first cleaning and reoiling they flow about like paper. Just my $.02, not a scientific study by any means but just something I noticed that most people haven't had a chance too.
-John

Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 AM
inkertinker
Junior User
What is an engine but a vacuum. Air in power out. Paper filter or not if you are going to buy a K&N chances are you might maintain it. Or not. Paper is the same, or not.
Both are as good as the owners, both are good if maintained or changed to each their own. But it's not a set and forget, it's change or maintain.

Dave

Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Sayer Lane
Senior User
I didn't mean to start an argument guys, I just wanted feed back. And I am offroad driving most of the time that is why I didnt want the paper filter anymore.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Redneckryder
Tuned
not that it applies, but I have heard the washable filters such as k&n will fubar mass airflow sensors due to oil getting sucked into the throttle body......but thats fuel injection....just had to put that in here....sorry.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:41 AM
HillbillyDeluxe81
Elder User
John, you're exactly right about the bogus power claims. Anything upstream of the throttle plates will not make any difference in power. The same thing applies to "hot air intakes". They only make a few more HP at wide open throttle and 4000+ rpm. Otherwise, there is no difference. For daily driving, and even towing, you could actually put an air flow restrictor behind the air filter. You would never know its there. Downstream of the throttle plates, yes, it's all about air flow. But, upstream of the throttle plates.......not so much.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Dforgy
Elder User
I like them, regardless. I havn't noticed a difference on a V8, but I had a neon that you could feel the difference big time. Keep it clean and it'll keep you happy. They recomend you clean it every 50,000 miles. You have to change a paper filter every 15,000. Plus, if you have a service shop change it for you (there are those out there that do) the K&N pay's for itself the first time you would have had it changed.

One thing to consider: I've seen trucks get into the million mile range when using a K&N filter that was maintained properly. Have you seen it with a paper filter?

Quick Reply: K&N