Another newb seeking muffler & exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another newb seeking muffler & exhaust advice

1st i have a 94 F150 2wd w/a 5.0

Ok so here is the set up i am going with. Shorty headers into bassani y-pipe with cat. I have to run a cat.

Now my question with regard to mufflers. I am going to go with a custom set up from a local shop. my thought is 3" in dual 2 1/2" out. How do i go about picking the correct size muffler? looking as Flowmasters and Magnaflow mufflers they have different lengths, widths and i have no idea what i should get. Oh, and i want it to be noticeable in sound. But i dont want it to be pull me over loud. I was thinking flowmaster super 44 but wasn't sure if that would be too loud. I am thinking with having the bassani cat on there that i wont really have to worry too much about it being so loud my teeth chatter.
thanks and sorry for yet another exhaust what to do post.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok, the Bassani is not going to be as quiet as the stock setup. So any muffler you choose will be louder than with the stock arrangement.

The larger the muffler is, the louder it will be. Placement and setup make a difference too. I think the 44 will be too loud. Myself, I used the 50 series and found it to be a little loud as well, but thats just my personal preference.

The muffler I like the most is WickedFlow. Don't knock them till you try them. They are similar to a Magnaflow in some ways, but have a mellower sound. If you got the smaller 13" unit, that would probably be perfect. It will last longer than either the Flowmaster, which is aluminized, or the Magnaflow, which is made from a light gauge brittle type of stainless. This is more important with the dual outlet designs as the independant motion of the tailpipes twists the endcap of the muffler, causing metal fatigue.

The only online retailer selling WickedFlow is Bear River Converters - Wholesale distributors of catalytic converters. You can also get them on eBay, but it is the same seller.

From looking at the bear river site, they only offer the single inlet dual outlets with a 3" inlet, but they do include adapters free of charge, and if you get it custom installed the shop will have no difficulty adapting to the 3" inlet.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
A 3" in dual 2.5" out is way overkill for the 302 IMO unless its puting out over 350hp. A single 2.5" hooked up to the y-pipe you mentioned should perform good. If you want dual pipes go with a 2.5" in dual 2 1/4" out muffler and that might be on the large side. The dynomax ultra flo is a nice muffler and I would get the ultra flo or FM50HD or FM50 SUV over the 40 or 44. Flowmasters and some other manufacturers smaller capacity mufflers can be droney. Best to exit the pipes out somewhere behind the rear wheels.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
Thanks for the advice guys. i really appreciate it. So dkf, by going with the 3 in to 2 1/2 duels will it cause any harm? reason i ask, is new heads, intake and cam are in the trucks future at some point and i would hate to re-do my exhaust. But then again, would you suggestion be good for those mods?

I plan on having them exit as just before the bumper turning down.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
KhanTyranitar, they have some great tips on that site also. i love that 4"od double walled slanted tip. i think those will work very well.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
if your pipes are too big it will kill your low rpm power witch is already kinda none existant with a 302 in a pickup.back pressure is your friend here, id say 2.5 out to 2 or 2.25 duals. as for a muffler thats kind of a personal preference thing, cuz all flowmaster's sound weak and raspy too me, but almost any and all glasspacks would sound great on any v8 but thats old school and nobody besides me likes em anymore

Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
i dig some old school. stuff just works. i have never had a running V8 before so i have never used them.

So i guess i could do 3" in and duel 2.25 out.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I used to have a 3"in/dual 2 1/2" out muffler on my 6.8l V10 and it was plenty. Now have a 3" single on it and its plenty for such a large motor. I have a 302 in my other truck also. I'd go with 2.5"in/dual 2 1/4" out like I said earlier, thats plenty of exhaust for a 302 even if its not stock.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
Well i guess thats what i'll do. i asked for advice and what type of fool would i be if i asked and then went off and did something else. Well then i need muffler suggestions. Bear River doesnt have a WickedFlow smaller than a 3" in. I really want a solid muffler thats going to last. So far i have suggestions for Dynomax and glass packs. I'll research those options. Any others?

Old 03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
the dynomax ultra looks like a viable option. however, it comse in a 2 1/2in 2 1/2 out or a 3in 2 1/2 out.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
told ya 2.5 to 2.25 duals and by the way dynomax are mufflers that sound like glasspacks cuz they are glasspacked mufflers

Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
im sorry fatdan. i got focused on your glass pack and missed your recommendation. didnt mean to pass your suggestion over.if i go with glass packs and do duels i guess the muffler shop will just have to y it off the cat. now i am going to over analyze that.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:24 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ciph3r
Well i guess thats what i'll do. i asked for advice and what type of fool would i be if i asked and then went off and did something else. Well then i need muffler suggestions. Bear River doesnt have a WickedFlow smaller than a 3" in. I really want a solid muffler thats going to last. So far i have suggestions for Dynomax and glass packs. I'll research those options. Any others?
As I mentioned, the WickedFlows will come with adapters down to 2.5"

Dynomax is a pretty good muffler, but they are expensive. Glasspacks are obnoxiously loud and most of them are cheaply made and rust out easily.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Ciph3r
Freshman User
now i am thinking the single 2 1/2 and no duels. To a nice tip slanted down and at an angle just before the rear bumper. how would the race bullet sound ya think? that would probably be too loud i am guessing. so the single in/out ultra would probably be best.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
glasspacks are not loud exspecially with a converter, cheaply made is an opinion, and depends on manufacturer

Quick Reply: Another newb seeking muffler & exhaust advice