Few more pony's please

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 PM
hgb4x4
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do they even make a intake only gasket for the 300? we all know the stock exhaust sucks for them but have only seen a 1 piece gasket myself?

why try first with out to only have to redo later?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
83mike
Elder User
I dunno man. Just sayin what i've read. I do know that mine leaks....and will be getting replaced. I do believe i've seen an intake only gasket but cannot for the life of me remember where.

Like i said i was researching stuff because my gaskets leak. and they appear to be fairly new. and they are torqued properly so either i have a warping issue or something. but that's neither here nor there in your situation as you'll have all new equipment.

I'm not sure WHY ford says no gasket...just that they do *shrugs*

Old 03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts
Summit racing has them individually and they're thick "performance" gaskets.

Fel-Pro Performance Z1264 - Fel-Pro Performance Intake Manifold Gasket Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Fel-Pro Performance Z1447 - Fel-Pro Performance Exhaust Header Gasket Sets - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Cliffordperformance.net also has a intake/exhaust combo performance gasket that's supposed to be really good.

Clifford Performance: 63-0144 FORD 240-300/4.9 Header/Intake Gasket

Both of them label "headers" on them though, although I imagine that most performance places figure headers are the only thing you'd go with if you want performance.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
hgb4x4
Senior User

thanks all for the info and links, think I will use a nice gasket just so I dont have to do the job twice. I have seen a few app's that call for no exhaust gasket but the 4.9 wasn't listed

I found THIS SPACER on ebay, will it work with the offy intake and the holley 390?

thanks

Old 03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
AbandonedBronco
Lucky find! That's exactly what you want. You will need to modify it a little bit though, since that part that sticks out in the middle is a recipe for a huge vacuum leak. Mine has a custom plate underneath it that blocks it, but another person I spoke with said they filled it with a hardening putty and had excellent results.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
hgb4x4
Senior User

thanks AB, well see how that auction ends

I'm going to look over your piccy's again, was wanting to see the throttle mod hooked up but dont recall your piccys showing that?

Thanks for all the help and links

Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
AbandonedBronco
Lol, mine cost about $5.

I drilled the two big holes down on the right side and bolted them to where the exhaust hooked up to the intake. I bought my intake used, and someone had welded the chimney underneath shut (out of ignorance than anything else), so the bolt holes were useless to me. So I just used them to attach my homebrew bracket. It's worked great for over a year. That, and I can easily adjust the tension of the throttle cable with a little bending of metal.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
hgb4x4
Senior User

good day

thx AB... had my mechanic buddy over to look at your piccys to give him a start'n point like sure he will do most of the work on the 300

plan is to pull the moter next week

did get the offy DP in today... 2 days to the door woot

Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't hear about this until after my engine was together and running but one of the engineers at the FSP site suggested "knife edging" the port dividers on the Offy DP with about a 1/2" taper. I don't recall the technical benefit other than possibly improved velocity/mix where the two flows meet.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 PM
coolguy1419
Senior User
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
Lucky find! That's exactly what you want. You will need to modify it a little bit though, since that part that sticks out in the middle is a recipe for a huge vacuum leak. Mine has a custom plate underneath it that blocks it, but another person I spoke with said they filled it with a hardening putty and had excellent results.

That would be me! I used some fast weld putty and filled the little void for that vaccum port and sanded it smooth and it seals up just fine. Makes a world of differences. Would of never though about buying one until I came across AbandonedBrocos great pictures! Thanks again for the help on mine!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
hgb4x4
Senior User

Originally Posted by coolguy1419
That would be me! I used some fast weld putty and filled the little void for that vaccum port and sanded it smooth and it seals up just fine. Makes a world of differences. Would of never though about buying one until I came across AbandonedBrocos great pictures! Thanks again for the help on mine!
thats not a EGR inlet?

thanks

Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
coolguy1419
Senior User
Idk it could be. I assumed it was a vacuum port. I didn't think back in the 60's they had egr's? Whatever it is it needs to be plugged or its a for sure huge leak!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
AbandonedBronco
Glad I could help! How's that setup working for you? (What kinda gas mileage are you getting?)

Did they have EGRs on 60s engines?

Definitely a huge vacuum leak. I remember not noticing it was there (had it capped, but didn't know it was open to the air underneath) and trying to start it after I got it all installed for the first time. Wow, that is quite a horrifying shrieking sound (definitely not what you want to be hearing after just finishing a massive conversion on your engine.) My neighbors came out of their house wondering what it was. I'm sure the dogs down the street were covering their ears too.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:01 PM
coolguy1419
Senior User
Haha yeah I can imagine that was alittle scary! I love the setup! Don't know if I could ever go back to stock!! I get about 12-13 city driving. Haven't been On a decent highway trip yet. Not to bad of Milage for the 33's I have on it. I was getting 10 with the feedback carb on it! I know one thing it's not the same motor that it used to be!!

Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
hgb4x4
Senior User

Thanks AB

was clueless on that port lol and will be plug'n it up real good trust me I did win that auction for .99 cents but the postage was a bit for being 200 miles away but would have drove that to give the guy 20 bucks for it.....

how did you plug the extra ports on the offy?

carb and flowmaster will be here today, the Y pipe is on back order.

If no rain on thur or fri the engine will come out took the girl out 4x4'n a bit sunday just so I could remember how she ran before the upgrades

thanks for all the great help and input here all

Quick Reply: Few more pony's please