Oregon Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: 892504x4

It's all your fault Jeff..............

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's all your fault Jeff..............

I can't sleep tonight because of you. You got my wheels spinning the other day when you where here and we where discussing the "booms" on my swampsucker. I'm thinking seriously about mounting it on the back of my 56 F-600 ( you didn't see that one, it's in the lower barn). When I built that assembly, I built it on a sub frame that could be easily mounted on the back of the truck frame. I ran the calculations this evening and the booms should easily hold 1,500 lbs at a 28' radius. I could load my 16'trailer with 7-1/2' logs, and since it's already set up with electric/hydraulic valves I could use a remote joy stick to operate it.

As if I didn't have enough projects..............

I am fired up about this project though, since Mike and I plan on spending time cutting firewood this Aug. Might possibly be a good way to supplement my income next year after I retire.

It would be terrible if I had to spend next summer in the woods

Well, back to bed, and start the building process in my head.............

Old 04-18-2010, 12:05 PM
oldbrokecowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the loss of sleep. The dreaming up of projects and building them in my head (lots of room in there) is about the only way I can get to sleep. I knew right away after meeting you that any conversation we had would open the gates and the ideas would flood out. Intelligence, experience, and foresight abound, now just have to figure out what I can bring to the table. I'm chewing over how to make the unit self-loading/ transferable from vehicle to vehicle. I know, I just made it more of a challenge, but hey thats what I'm here for.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Already there Jeff If I put downriggers on all four corners I could raise the whole thing and install on another rig, or the "over-deck" on say, a gooseneck trailer.............

Another thing. What about a winch, mounted so that you could skid logs from both sides and the rear?

I also have a nice little Perkins 4cyl diesel in the shed. I could install that, and have more HP for the extra hydraulics and a gen-set also.....

Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 PM
oldbrokecowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, you want to mount the winch on the turn table so it rotates with the boom. Then you can lift/ guide with the boom,just shackle a small block on and run your line through it. Instant light duty yarder for that log over the bank. Options, options, options. With a 4 cyl Perkins set up properly you should be able to run everything, including a splitter/ processor. Same idea I've been working on, but you'll get it done sooner. Better war chest. I realy like colaberation/sharing ideas, makes the mind work,and gets it away from all the trivial BS that clogs it up. Lets build! Jeff