Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6.0 intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
6.0 intercooler

I forget what a good price is, and still have not chased one down myself.. but if anyone is interested, I can put my hands on a 6.0 Intercooler for 200.00 tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
By the way, first PM..

Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just going to throw this out there....

Save your money. There is no reason to "upgrade" to a 6.0 IC. It was a waste of time for me. Saw less then a 50* drop WHEN TOWING and nothing empty.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:56 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Just going to throw this out there....

Save your money. There is no reason to "upgrade" to a 6.0 IC. It was a waste of time for me. Saw less then a 50* drop WHEN TOWING and nothing empty.
That is very cool of you to do that, share your opinion!!! That sucks that you went ahead and did that with out any improvement..Reps given!!

Offer is still out there though.. just in case.. Do not think that there will be any plus or minus for me in this!! If no one responds, actually, less work!!

Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by just another truck
That is very cool of you to do that, share your opinion!!! That sucks that you went ahead and did that with out any improvement..Reps given!!

Offer is still out there though.. just in case.. Do not think that there will be any plus or minus for me in this!! If no one responds, actually, less work!!

Crap... I thought you were trying to get one... not sell one. I did not mean to kill a sale for you, really.

I just was very disappointed in all the work, and nothing to show...

Old 03-11-2010, 04:11 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
It is not my sale.. it was something I came across.. You did nothing to hurt a sale for me.. Thank you for looking out for me and others!!!!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM
SilverBullet131313
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beg to differ, a 6.0 intercooler is a little larger. There is never anything negative about a larger IC especially when towing, WOT, etc. If its a mod you want to do and expect power, its a waste of time, but if its a mod you want to do knowing you have a bigger IC and better efficiency when under load, definitely worth it. I bough a new IC from ed and sold my old one for 150....so in the end it was WELL worth the money. Its the only IC upgrade worth the little money spent new or used.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Bump to the top.. going to speak to the guy a little later here in morning, so if there is any intrest.. let me know.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 AM
redfire42
Posting Guru
If the price was right, I would get one for my truck. I would only need to cool the air more when towing anyways and when towing a long grade for a long time 50-100 in temp drop is worth it IMO

Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Give me another number to offer, I will see what I can do for you..

Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$175 to $200 is about the normal going rate I've seen up here in the Seattle area. Bought mine for $175. Then the new boots from Clay. I am also not seeing a difference in temp drop, then again my foot has not been heavy into the throttle.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
SilverBullet131313
Senior User
You guys need to understand that be just putting in a 6.0 IC or larger IC , you will not see a temp drop probably or anything to justify your money spent when just normal driving etc. I mean you might depending on condition of truck, how bad condition was the IC or something but its not likely. Its only when you are towing and under load , going up steep hills, or WOT pulls etc is when you will more physically see it with regards to temp drop or whatever you are monitioring. And even then some of you will say you see no improvement , but also a larger IC is there to fight heat soak. So that means it can do the long pulls longer or stay WOT longer, and the main thing is you will be able to do the same stuff BACK TO BACK and the larger IC will make power more consistent and be able to keep the power on the higher side longer.

Just for example....i have been drag racing my car for 10 years now and a million turbos , fuel, IC etc setups later here i am lol Just last month i dynoed the new race motor with the small 3 row IC i had just because it was there....we did 3 pulls back to back to back at 45 psi and power was 1240rwhp, 1200 rwhp, and last pull was 1125rwhp. HUGE drop in power due to the increase of charge temps we were monitoring. We swapped out to my 5 row IC and few hours later we did same thing, with same boost, and nothing changed. The car did 1305rwhp, 1302 rwhp, and last pull was 1297 rwhp. So a power increase, but more importantly the power didn't drop off due to the larger IC being able to handle the heat and keep the charge air nice and cool. I know that is an extreme example, but essentially its the same thing for our trucks or any boosted car/truck. SO for a few hundred dollars its IMHO a bang for the buck mod. I wish my IC's for the car would be a few hundred lol Hope my info helped guys, as your info has helped me with my truck.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SilverBullet131313
You guys need to understand that be just putting in a 6.0 IC or larger IC , you will not see a temp drop probably or anything to justify your money spent when just normal driving etc. I mean you might depending on condition of truck, how bad condition was the IC or something but its not likely. Its only when you are towing and under load , going up steep hills, or WOT pulls etc is when you will more physically see it with regards to temp drop or whatever you are monitioring. And even then some of you will say you see no improvement , but also a larger IC is there to fight heat soak. So that means it can do the long pulls longer or stay WOT longer, and the main thing is you will be able to do the same stuff BACK TO BACK and the larger IC will make power more consistent and be able to keep the power on the higher side longer.

Just for example....i have been drag racing my car for 10 years now and a million turbos , fuel, IC etc setups later here i am lol Just last month i dynoed the new race motor with the small 3 row IC i had just because it was there....we did 3 pulls back to back to back at 45 psi and power was 1240rwhp, 1200 rwhp, and last pull was 1125rwhp. HUGE drop in power due to the increase of charge temps we were monitoring. We swapped out to my 5 row IC and few hours later we did same thing, with same boost, and nothing changed. The car did 1305rwhp, 1302 rwhp, and last pull was 1297 rwhp. So a power increase, but more importantly the power didn't drop off due to the larger IC being able to handle the heat and keep the charge air nice and cool. I know that is an extreme example, but essentially its the same thing for our trucks or any boosted car/truck. SO for a few hundred dollars its IMHO a bang for the buck mod. I wish my IC's for the car would be a few hundred lol Hope my info helped guys, as your info has helped me with my truck.

You need to understand that most of us have been around the block a few times...

With a cab that looks like this...

I think I would know if there was any worthwhile temp drop with the 6.0 ic swap...

I tow up to 27k with my truck... often...

There was no "bang for ya buck" with the 6.0 swap. Better money would be spent on a water injection kit...

Quick video pulling 24.5k from a dead stop to 50mph...

YouTube - 24.5k load on race setting and Turbonetics BB

Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM
SilverBullet131313
Senior User
CSIPSD,
I wasn't insinuating that alot of you do not the benefits or implying anything negative. i was just speaking towards the normal average modded truck guys that may be new to turbo anything etc etc. It will benefit the normal modded truck i guarantee 99% of time somehow, someway. It can't make anything worse thats for sure and is definitely dropping the temps down, even if its just a small amount. I have seen 50-100 drop when pulling 8-9k on my trips down the same roads up the same hills going to the same tracks then before with my stock IC. For some, that may not be worth the money. But i mean seriously, even a "new from ed" 6.0 IC is only under 400 bucks i think without looking it up. You will NEVER find a cheaper IC upgrade on anything, so it is to me under the category of a "bang for the buck" mod if looking for something to do for these trucks and for ""in your driveway weekend mod guys on this forum.

And i don't disagree that a 6.0 IC isn't benefitting you, its still probably WAYYYY too small for what you have going on and the mods you have. Either way , every truck is different, but i was speaking from a tuning standpoint and a/f, intake temps, etc. Even a small improvement is beneficial. Its up to the owner to justify if its worth it to them. Every small thing adds up, and people wonder why someones truck is maybe a little stronger, making a little more power then theirs. The answer normally lies in they have a few little things that most deemed waste of money that is giving them a slight edge. At least that has been my experience. Awesome truck you have btw

Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SilverBullet131313
CSIPSD,
I wasn't insinuating that alot of you do not the benefits or implying anything negative. i was just speaking towards the normal average modded truck guys that may be new to turbo anything etc etc. It will benefit the normal modded truck i guarantee it. I have seen 50-100 drop when pulling 8-9k on my trips down the same roads up the same hills going to the same tracks then before with my stock IC. For some, that may not be worth the money. But i mean seriously, even a "new from ed" 6.0 IC is only under 400 bucks i think without looking it up. You will NEVER find a cheaper IC upgrade on anything, so it is to me under the category of a "bang for the buck" mod if looking for something to do for these trucks and for ""in your driveway weekend mod guys on this forum.

And i don't disagree that a 6.0 IC isn't benefitting you, its still probably WAYYYY too small for what you have going on and the mods you have. Either way , every truck is different, but i was speaking from a tuning standpoint and a/f, intake temps, etc. Even a small improvement is beneficial. Its up to the owner to justify if its worth it to them. Every small thing adds up, and people wonder why someones truck is maybe a little stronger, making a little more power then theirs. The answer normally lies in they have a few little things that most deemed waste of money that is giving them a slight edge. At least that has been my experience. Awesome truck you have btw
Swapped in my 6.0 IC with stock injectors and a 38r... No or little drop in temp... Its stayed there because I have not had the funds to get a hypermax IC...

Here are a few shots of them side by side...

The differance is VERY small... not to mention the plastic end tanks, which I had anyway, but some have nice metal ones.

And thanks for the comment...