1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Time for new tires on the dually- UUUGGHHH, got any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for new tires on the dually- UUUGGHHH, got any advice?

The current Dumlop Radial Rover's I have on are about done, with only 28k on them. Luckily, I can get a warantee on 4 of them through the local tire guy I always go to. He knows me and gives me a break 'cause I'm in the service. I paid $900 out the door for the last set of 6 w all the usual service, so I like to go back to him.

Anyways, I was thinking of this time getting something that will last a good long time. Since I don't have a lift I figured I'd stick with the stoc size 235's, which will also keep my fuel consumption lower than lets say a 255 size tire. I was considering getting 2 Michelin XPS rib tires on the front, and then 4 Michelins on the back with some tread to them for mild off road gripping power.

Anyne ever done that? I know alot of OTR truckers do, and it looks a little goofy, but there's a purpose for it I guess. Or do y'all have any recommendations for a long last AT tire? The set before these I had BFG KO/AT or something like that, and they again only lasted about 35-40k. Thanks for any advice!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:48 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is what I run. This is my second set. I put 80,000 on my first set and gave the rear tires to a guy to put on his truck. They are 265/75R 16. Best tire I have ever run.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Bridgestone Dueller Revo 2s, expensive, but probably the best tire out there. I haul tons of weight on the truck, and still get 50k easily out of them.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:09 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I love my Michelins 's LTX's.. on my dually.. I have almost 30K on them now and show very little wear..and wearing even.. unlike my original Generals which cupped and had uneven wear.. One thing I have noticed about Michelin tires.. never had a flat with them.. Maybe I am just lucky..

Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clintbonnie
I love my Michelins 's LTX's.. on my dually.. I have almost 30K on them now and show very little wear..and wearing even.. unlike my original Generals which cupped and had uneven wear.. One thing I have noticed about Michelin tires.. never had a flat with them.. Maybe I am just lucky..

you better knock on wood

Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

While I knock on wood, I never had a flat with my Michelins either.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:43 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
I know I'm gonna jinx myself, but since I bought the truck in july of 06, the only flat I had was on the left outside tire when a 9/16ths wrench punched through the corner of the tire! Some dummy lost a tool, and I found it for him.... Also never had to replace a headlight yet either (Kncoking on wood)

I think I might just swing for the Michelins. Expensive, but I know they will last. Hey Rick, did you have to put a spacer in between the rears, and how did that bigger tire effct your mileage?

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Which ever ones you choose, make sure they are load range E. I dont think running stock wheels you have to use a spacer. My dually came to me with the 265/75s on it with stock rims. I changed to aluminum wheels, and then I needed a spacer to run that size tire.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Of course I'll get E tires- so I'm guessing you got yours used right? 'Cause I know stock they come with those cute little 235's. I asked about the spacer because I thought I read somewhere that they can run with enough weight in the bed (like a trailer) I don't want to have to soend a few hundred just for a spacer. If I had to I could probably get the machine shop on the airstaiton to make some 1/2" spacers outta "aircraft structural" steel

Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Yeah I got mine used with the 265s on there. After my wheel swap, had to put the little 235s on there, and it was ugly I thought. But if you have stock wheels, your good to go with 265s without a spacer.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Another vote for Michelin.
My BIL ran a tire store for years and he told me that was the brand of tire that gave him the best wear rates and the least warrenty issues.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best milage I got on steering tires were the oigional firestones had lots of tread left a 53k when they separated.On the drive was uniroyals with over 80k
At 136k I'm on my second set on drives and third set on steering tires.If I keep the truck this should be my last set
This set is firestones again

Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 PM
racincowboy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run toyo h/t's on my dually. I love them they have great highway manners and long tread life. My buddy is a hot shot guy and he runs these on his truck and trailer and gets great wear out of them.

That is my .02

Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by whitesdford
Bridgestone Dueller Revo 2s, expensive, but probably the best tire out there. I haul tons of weight on the truck, and still get 50k easily out of them.
I like the Revos as well.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by mongo75
I know I'm gonna jinx myself, but since I bought the truck in july of 06, the only flat I had was on the left outside tire when a 9/16ths wrench punched through the corner of the tire! Some dummy lost a tool, and I found it for him.... Also never had to replace a headlight yet either (Kncoking on wood)

I think I might just swing for the Michelins. Expensive, but I know they will last. Hey Rick, did you have to put a spacer in between the rears, and how did that bigger tire effct your mileage?
Danny, I don't run spacers and the tires are the same height as the factory tires were. They are only a little wider. My speedometer is exact with my GPS. I always run 80 psi in the rear and 70 psi in the fronts. I don't check my MPG because I know it is going to be what it is. I have checked MPG before and was in the 15.xx empty.