2001 Expy 4.6l airbox question and removal - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2001 Expy 4.6l airbox question and removal

Old 03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Senior User

jeep8589 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 Expy 4.6l airbox question and removal

I was looking at the stock cold air intake and noticed that the opening inside the fender well looks smaller than the throttle body opening. Call me stupid, but it seems silly to make the throttle body opening bigger than the air source since you can't pull in more air into the throttle body than you can thru the tube that feeds it. Has anyone noticed any improvements in power by going to a cold air intake?? Also, I was trying to pull off the airbox from its rubber mounts to possibly look at some mods. It looks like it should just pop in and out of its rubber mounts. I pulled as hard as I thought I could without breaking it, and it showed no signs of coming out. Is there a trick to removing the airbox? New to this expedition thing and looking for some guidance. Thanks all....
Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Post Fiend

alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep8589 View Post
Call me stupid, but it seems silly to make the throttle body opening bigger than the air source
Hey stupid!
Your question would be a valid one if not for two things that you possibly haven't considered. One, this restriction in the fender would only matter when you're maxing out the air flow volume through the duct, such as during WOT. Two, inside the throttle body it narrows, there are butterflies, shafts, and other various restrictions blocking the TB opening. I suspect that if you subtract the square area these items take up, the remaining square area will equal the square area of the opening in the duct in the fender.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Senior User

rews2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
It pulled all the silencers from my stock intake tube and took of the chocked down inlet from the wheel well. I replaced the stock inlet with 3" PVC pipe and attached it to the intake tube with a 3" rubber coupler, both available at Home Depot. Made a difference at cruising speed when you jump the pedal and for me anyway it took away a dead space in mid throttle. Has a good throaty sound too. This is the link I used as a go by.

Gotts Intake (Air Intake Modification) .: Ford Truck Articles
Old 03-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Senior User

whitefordexplorer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.whitefordexplorer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
if i remember correctly, there is a bolt in the bottom of the airbox you can get to it after you remove the filter. i may be wrong, so dont hold me to it.

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Tags
46, air, box, engine, ford