General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Men's Vitamins

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Men's Vitamins

Heya fellers

Do yall take men's vitamins? Is there a brand out there that's better than the rest? Anything I should look for?

I never have energy and I'm sick of it. I started taking One a Day multi-vitamins.

Thanks guys. Any info you want to add is good. I just don't know anything about vitamins.

-Bill

Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,696 Likes on 1,136 Posts
reliv I get it from a friend, real pricey, MLM (i think) keeps my butt moving.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 AM
300 Buster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill, at your age all you need is to eat right and get off your butt.I heard you say your out of work, your body misses that routine,so you have to make one.Go to bed around the same time and get up around the same time,and get the proper amount of sleep,that's not 10hrs or 6hrs,7-8 is the way to go.Then make an agenda for each day that has some exercise,be it work or just walking.This will also make it easier to fall back in place when you do start a new job.I retired from work and really blew it by setting around and on the computer,lost a lot of strength and muscle mass,now I have to work at it.At your age probably any multiple vitamin will work,but stay away from those energy drinks,they give you false energy and when they wear off,you really feel whipped.
Exercise is a great energy builder,and it keeps the body healthier.

Last edited by 300 Buster; 03-09-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2010, 09:37 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Thanks a lot guys.

Buster I agree with you entirely. I make it a point to get up every morning and exercise nearly every day. I try to stay busy outside cleaning up the place and taking care of little things. Even so I still feel run down all the time. No energy. I don't sleep well so I know that has something to do with it, but still, I'm young. Most guys my age never run out of juice and they don't get any sleep either.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Keepin It Real
Elder User
Gr. Feelgood here with the cure for what ails you. It's DHEA. Not a vitamin. It's a supplement. I get it from Costco online. The bottle says 1 pill/day. Forget that. Start with 10 pills in the morning and another 10 at night. Give it a few days and if no noticeable improvement, go up. Basically this stuff is a precursor for the production of testosterone. I can almost guarantee you that food will taste better, the air will smell sweeter, and you'll have more energy and self confidence than you ever dreamed of! Well, that may be somewhat of an exaggeration, but you get the idea. They have it on sale till, I think, March 21. Even at the regular price you won't find it cheaper anywhere else. (And, no, I don't work for Costco or Schiff.) I get it 10-12 bottles at a time.

If you take this stuff, your friends will be telling you what Hammer's friends told him..."Don't hurt 'em, Hammer!"

Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a multi-vitamin, you'll want to get one that has no iron in it - any of the "men's formula" ones will work. I haven't noticed much of a difference between brands - they're all pretty much the same...

I take a multi-vitamin and fish oil every morning...

Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No energy????

I get that way EVERY winter.
If the sun's not out, and I'm not out in it, I get sluggish.

Why????
I dunno. I've always been that way.

Vitamin D.

Also. . .just for kicks and grins -
Many years ago, I was preparing to go to Northern Ontario, for a bear hunt.
One of the guys that went there every year, said, "Take Vitamin B6 and B12. Take it every day, twice a day, before you go.
It'll help keep the mosquitos and black flies away."

What he didn't tell me is that the body doesn't absorb B6 and B12. . .quickly!
I got POISONED from B6 and B12. I thought I was going to die, the night before I was supposed to leave!!!

I could have sworn I saw my socks in the toilet, I was pukin' so hard.

Bill, at your age - get GOOD sleep and eat right. Vitamins are a supplement, for those of us that don't eat right.

(And the little blue pill is a different kind of 'vitamin'!)

Old 03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Re-charge your batteries...............Take a week off from outside stuff, friends, projects, TV, computer, etc............Get to bed early, stay there, GET SOME SLEEP!......In a week your body will have re-charged and you will be back to your old self with energy to burn!
(Just make sure you still go to work, you slacker!)

Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
There's no replacement for a good diet and plenty of exercise.

Cut any refined sugar you can--soda, candy, etc.

Eat whole grain products (no white bread or buns).

Lots of fruit in the morning and plenty of fiber throughout the day.

Drink lots of water--at least a half gallon if you don't do anything strenuous, then a pint to a quart per hour more if you are.

Keep up on protein, too, if you are working hard. Your body can only digest about 1 oz. of protein per meal. That's why body builders eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day--they're keeping up a steady protein intake.

I'm 35 and recently started training for a 1-week, 400-mile bicycle ride in May to benefit Habitat for Humanity. After not quite 3 weeks of training and getting my eating habits in shape, I have more energy than I've had in a long, long time. I'm with 00BOR, too--sunshine is good for getting mood-boosting Vitamin D into your system.

Jason

Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
ukmat71
Senior User

i've just stated thinking about this...

had real pains in my chest when i breath for at least a month or two now , put it down to skiing accident a while back...

thinking now its the drinking & smoking every now & then

ok i quit the smoking 2 months back , but still feel like i want one....

thinking now i should get out on my bike once or twice a week , before its too late.

life really is short aint it ?

i hate threads like this........

god bless ya all

Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Your body should let you know how much sleep it needs. Some people need a bit more than others, and we've all survived on 5-6 hours a night at some point in our lives, but I would bet that 7-8 hours is good. (If you can do that, uninterrupted by peeing or whatever, let me know how it feels!). As far as vitamins, I use a B-complex that I get from GNC. It's a little pricey, but it also gives you a lot of energy. I respectfully disagree with getting all of your vitamins from food. It takes a lot of math and a lot of time to figure out how much of each food to eat for the proper amount of nutrients. Iron, protein and carbs (a lot of things, really) can come from food, but vitamins often need some outside help.

As far as the B vitamins, look up the benefits from each type of vitamin B: you'll be surprised at all the benefits they have. Also, look at a bottle of your favorite energy drink. I bet it has a bunch of B vitamins in it as well (and a lot of sugar, most of the time). 5-Hour energy is mostly B vitamins.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by ukmat71
i've just stated thinking about this...

had real pains in my chest when i breath for at least a month or two now , put it down to skiing accident a while back...

thinking now its the drinking & smoking every now & then

ok i quit the smoking 2 months back , but still feel like i want one....

thinking now i should get out on my bike once or twice a week , before its too late.

life really is short aint it ?

i hate threads like this........

god bless ya all
If you have chest pains, don't mess around.
Go to the hospital NOW and get yourself checked.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:45 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
I thought the same thing, but 2 months of pain makes me think it's probably a pulled muscle or something. I agree, though, don't be a tough guy when your heart is telling you something. Get checked. We've had enough Rest In Peace threads.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Stu, I wasn't really suggesting that all your vitamins should come from food. I eat pretty well overall, but I still take a multi-vitamin and a 500mg C vitamin every day. The main thing to trying to get all the necessary vitamins from food is that then you're not eating the junk food instead, because you have to fill up on a pretty good amount of fruits and veggies to get most of your daily vitamin intake. It's not that I never eat junk food, either, I just eat as little of it as I can, and don't sweat it then when I do decide to have pizza, beer, Double-Stuf Oreos and ice cream.

Jason

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 AM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Agreed!!!!!

Originally Posted by stu37d
I thought the same thing, but 2 months of pain makes me think it's probably a pulled muscle or something. I agree, though, don't be a tough guy when your heart is telling you something. Get checked. We've had enough Rest In Peace threads.
2 months of pain, and you haven't seen a doctor???????

PM your address to me. I'll have a couple of guys stop by there with a straight jacket, and give you a ride to a facility that will find out what's wrong IN YOUR HEAD!!!!!!!!!

Stu. . . get to the doctor!!!!!!!!

Last June, on a Sunday, my wife and I worked in the yard most of the day.
On Monday morning, I was having chest pains and could hardly raise my arm enough to pour a cup of coffee.
I drove us to work, and most of the morning, I felt like somebody was sitting on my chest. (Somebody HEAVY!)

Long story short. . . I drove myself to the hospital (25 miles away) and my wife said, "Somebody help me. I think my husband is having a heart attack."

The doctors came out of the wookwork!

I spent 2-1/2 days in the hospital, undergoing tests.

I didn't have a heart attack. I had pulled a muscle in my chest.
However. . . the doctors DID find that my blood pressure went from my 'normal' of 122/76 to 164/94!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate bottom line. . . GET CHECKED OUT BY THE DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Men's Vitamins