Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

What's the coolest thing you came across lately?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What's the coolest thing you came across lately?

As the title post; last friday; me & acouple of Ford buddies; went to check out a 51 F1 for sale; I ask the guy selling the truck if he had a tape measure to check frame widths; he said yea; and I follow him into his garage to retrieve the tape measure; Lord & behold he has a OH-58 Kiowa scout Helicopter that he restoringl. Once he finishes it he has a Cobra copter to do next.
Is that cool or what.

Mitch

Old 02-21-2010, 06:54 PM
torkum
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I was on a call couple of weeks ago and was talking to the homeowner aftwards when he said hey want to show you something in his basement. I followed him in and there was a 48 Willis Jeep that he had restored to original along with the utility tailor. The cool part was when he was in the Pacific Islands WWII he put these Jeeps together when they came off the ships in crates.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:40 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Its always cool to find folks with various hobbies, especially with a background that relates to there hobby.

Mitch

Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I miss my 47 ******.
Coolest was when I worked at a farm equipment dealer, the boss would buy old stuff straight from the farmers rather than take it on trade through the company, he got a fully functioning horse drawn sickle mower.
I worked on a small garden tractor, just a little larger than a Murry, was a Cub Cadet, 4 cylinder, no frame it's built like a miniature tractor.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to have a '46 ****** CJ1A. That thing would climb a tree if you could point it up.
I miss that thing too. Great trail rider.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't recently but it was years ago. An older guy in McMinnville showed me this old pile of stuff. I was a tbucket like but in pieces. He explained it was the first auto in Warren Co. It was a 1903 made auto. I don't remember the brand though. He wanted 50 for it. I thought it was a pile of scrap. But now that I am older I agree with what he said. It could have been made into a bucket car. I just didn't see it. The really cool cat he had was a Model T or A . It was the one with a rumble seat. It looked showroom new except for a small rust hole in the back about the size of a quarter. It was all original, I think it even had wooden spoked wheels.

Anyway he told me of this lady who told him about it. She told him it was out west,maybe Wyoming or Nerbraska. She told him the road off the interstate and it was on a hill. He was taking a restored vehicle out that way about 6 months later and sure enough there it was. He had just dropped off the other car and thought if he could he would get it. Anyway he stopped and talked to the old farmer who had it. He said he would put bales of hay in the rumble seat and stack them up to take to the cows he had. He asked if he would sell it. He said I don't reckon so, I plan on cutting the back off to make a truck out of it.

He said he had thought of buying his neighbors old truck to haul hay but it would cost more than fixing this one up. He told me he was expecting the old man to say a high price but he asked what the neighbor wanted for it. The old man said its kind of high but it would be perfect for around his farm , he wanted 350 for it. The guy said I have 350 I will give you for this one and save you the time. The old farmer said I will help you load it if you take me down the road to buy the other. So he did and got that old car. I have often wondered what happened to that old car.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
I wonder what it would be like to find some early model trucks etc; (an money not a problem).
I've gotten into watching the Amercian Picker show; they come across some cool old stuff. The only difference is there finds are higher price than the 350 for the rumble seat car.

Mitch

Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Mine was an old, brown Maytag washing machine and a Maytag gas washing machine engine, the washer is gone, stolen, but I got the engine, my uncle let me have it. If I only had a place to put it, there's an old bread box wood stove, a few claw foot tubs and horse drawn farm equipment left, even an oil heater in the house.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Originally Posted by Customcab
I wonder what it would be like to find some early model trucks etc; (an money not a problem).
I've gotten into watching the Amercian Picker show; they come across some cool old stuff. The only difference is there finds are higher price than the 350 for the rumble seat car.

Mitch
I have a love/hate time with that show Americian Pickers. I love to see the stuff they find. I have went out like that and found stuff like they do. I have bought all kinds of stuff like that. I have a 39 and 47 jukebox and a lot of old radios,tools and other stuff. I really enjoy that part of the show. But the two guys on it I can't stand. They seem to be nothing but tricksters to me. They tag team with each other to hype up the seller. that something I never did. When I redid old radios the market then was about 5 for plastic,10-25 for tabletop wooden ones and 25 for cabinet. That was nonworking price years ago. Thats what I would pay. I never would take advantage of elderly like they do. Or at least that what it seems to me they do. I had times I could have got cabinet radios for 5 bucks I bet but I would offer the value. I would rework them for a hobby. I didn't lose money. The money I made was from people getting me to fix theirs.

What these two I bet were thinking was it could make new leads for them. But what it has done is if a potential buyer sees them they will not let it go cheap. It may actually hurt their profits. I wish them the best but it casts a bad light to them. I have noticed many of the folks that they get the best deals from seem to have alzheimers. I have dealt with that twice taking care of my dad and FIL. I have no respect for anyone taking advantge of someone like that. I wish they would not do that. I did like how they didn't try to get stuff cheap from the one widow who had the old original car in a outbuilding. Its hard finding stuff like that but thats the fun of the hunt.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
I will agree about not over influenecing folks for a cheap deal; but my paasion is the history & uniques learning experience I get from watching the show. I even enjoy Pawn Stars for the education part.

Mitch

Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 PM
willy3486
Senior User
Sorry double post

Old 03-14-2010, 03:10 PM
willy3486
Senior User
I feel the same way on the history of the items. I have had to deal with folks like these guys too many times. I have been putting up stuff on a local sales site tryng to clean up and get rid of junk. I am so tired of the lowballers I just about don't want to sell stuff anymore. I had put up about 250 bucks of shingles if you bought them now that were left over from my house being built. They were new and I put 50 on them. I go so tired of the "yeah I want them but will you go lower. I had one guy who even asked if I would take 25 because he had to travel so far to get them. I wound up selling to a guy who was tickled to get them at 50. He bought a storage shed and it needed reroofing, it was going to cost about 200 bucks.

If you like the old stuff and history check out my pictures link on my profile. I also like that old stuff. I get junk then 20 years late it seems its actually priceless by then, go figure. I have a 47 and 39 jukebox. I also have been collecting old woodworking tools the last few years. I like the aluminum case electric hand tools. One of the last items I redid was a old delta scroll saw. I have about 80 in it. As far as "picking" goes I have my best luck at yard sales,flea markets and sales ads. You might pay a little more at flea markets but you save more in the long run not driving so much. But many times I actually have better luck and get better deals at them. You have more to choose from. I bought a draw knife one time for a buck, I have also bought handles for tools in the 1-3 buck range at one I go to. As far as yard sales goes stay away from the more expensive neighborhoods. I have bought tons of stuff at them. I have so many tools I got at yard sales they are like sears to me. I could have bought a powermatic saw one time for 60 bucks that needed a motor. I didn't have the room for another then and wasn't looking for a project. Anymore it seems to me that if you go out "picking" out of the blue and ask if they have anything you get told no. I quit doing that a long time ago. It got to where I was afraid I get shot at.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 PM
slammedi'am
Senior User
Really havent been any where but I was browsing the internet the other day looking up some info on some Olds(first car and always loved them) and ran across this....

Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
UGLY!! I like the older body better.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:55 AM
Customcab
Postmaster
I hope there's more engine under that cowl scoop than just scoop!
Its different for sure.

Mitch

Quick Reply: What's the coolest thing you came across lately?