Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

IN TANK MODS

Old 03-06-2010, 11:08 PM
gradyc
wellhead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IN TANK MODS

Did the in tank mods a couple of days ago.While doing them I must of had a senior moment. I only cut the fill tube vent tube and didn't do the tank vent tube. Will this cause me any fuel tank problems. If so looks like I will be dropping the tank again.
Thanks in advance. Yea I know. Still need to post my signature.

Grady

Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the vent tube is the one that will shut off the gas while filling. Probably need to go in & cut that one.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats on doing the tank mod. The Plastic tube cutting is personal preference.

In my opinion by cutting the fill tube nothing will really change from what you had prior. It will bubble splash at yea because the vent tube will plug with fuel before the fill tube. Not allowing it to Breath. I think the only real tube you need to cut is the vent tube. so you can get more fuel in your tank and the tank can breath while doing so.

I did the tank mods. I didn't cut any tube and left them as they were. Was not a problem for me.. I am just careful when filling and don't really care that i get a exact full tank of fuel..

This will not cause you any problem that you didn't already have. Personal preference if you want to drop the tank again. I wouldn't.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:21 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I need to do this, got the kit just procrastinating. Nice job Grady...

Old 03-07-2010, 09:38 AM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like Dan, I did not cut the vent tube... Ya you get a few air bubbles when fulling the tank when it gets near the top... but no big deal...

Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
gradyc
wellhead
Thanks for the reply guys. I fueled up after I did the mod.The pump shut off after 29.4 gal was pumped. I was very happy with this.
Looks like I gained an additional .4 gal of fuel with the removal of the in tank filter. My tank holds 29 gal as per ford.

Grady

Old 03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I've put over 31 gallons of fuel in one of those "29 gallon tanks", and that was without running empty. Lots of us have gotten 30-31 gallons in the tank, and one guy even carefully measured his when he did the in-tank mods and I think he came up with an actual capacity of something like 32-32.5 gallons.

Cutting the vent tube is what will let your fuel level rise higher before the foam shoots up into the filler neck, that's where you'll gain the most from this mod. Refer to the pic below. Anyone who has watched someone pouring beer into a glass can easily visualize this process. Since diesel foams so much more than gasoline, it is generally the foam coming up the vent tube which contacts the pump nozzle and shuts off the pump (unless you're using one of those ultra-high-flow pumps at a truck stop). That's why shortening the vent tube's extension into the tank will allow the tank level to rise much higher before the foam can even begin to enter the vent tube.

The value of cutting the fill tube is arguable, but most cut both while they're in there. Some have said that if you do NOT cut the tube, the falling fuel will cause less foaming (falls a shorter distance) and help the fill process by generating less foam. However, if you've ever watched the diesel coming from a pump nozzle, there is already tons of entrained air bubles in the fuel, and this is really where most of the foam is coming from to begin with. Therefore, I am personally convinced that cutting the fill tube alone will not gain you nearly as much ground as cutting the vent tube, even though it may help some.

Again, your biggest bang is from cutting the vent tube.

Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2010, 07:33 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
nice post Pete!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
I've put over 31 gallons of fuel in one of those "29 gallon tanks", and that was without running empty. Lots of us have gotten 30-31 gallons in the tank, and one guy even carefully measured his when he did the in-tank mods and I think he came up with an actual capacity of something like 32-32.5 gallons.

Cutting the vent tube is what will let your fuel level rise higher before the foam shoots up into the filler neck, that's where you'll gain the most from this mod. Refer to the pic below. Anyone who has watched someone pouring beer into a glass can easily visualize this process. Since diesel foams so much more than gasoline, it is generally the foam coming up the vent tube which contacts the pump nozzle and shuts off the pump (unless you're using one of those ultra-high-flow pumps at a truck stop). That's why shortening the vent tube's extension into the tank will allow the tank level to rise much higher before the foam can even begin to enter the vent tube.

The value of cutting the fill tube is arguable, but most cut both while they're in there. Some have said that if you do NOT cut the tube, the falling fuel will cause less foaming (falls a shorter distance) and help the fill process by generating less foam. However, if you've ever watched the diesel coming from a pump nozzle, there is already tons of entrained air bubles in the fuel, and this is really where most of the foam is coming from to begin with. Therefore, I am personally convinced that cutting the fill tube alone will not gain you nearly as much ground as cutting the vent tube, even though it may help some.

I am one of those that would have leaned towards just cutting the vent tube for the very reason Pete here listed.. But that was with out looking at the condition of the fuel while it is being pumped out. I did both..And now, after Petes post, I dont regrate it..

Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
i dont know why...but i was under the impression that mine had a 38 gal tank? i know i put in over 20 gals from half full (aren't i opptomistic)

Old 03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
You're probably right, bama29fan, because you have a long wheel base which comes with a larger tank. The short wheel base trucks came with tanks in front of the rear axle which were classified as either 28 or 29 gallons. My Excursion has a Ford-tagged 44 gallon tank, but I've put a tad over 44 gallons in it on a couple of occasions where I had not run out of fuel before filling up.

The whole point is that you can put more in than the OEM-rated capacity, and just how much depends on whether or not you fill it up completely to the top with no foam or if you stop somewhere short of that position. I, like many other, have chosen to keep filling until I see the clear fuel in the fill tube so I can know that I am filling up to the same point from tank-to-tank for the most accurate fuel mileage calculations.

The on-board mileage computers are notoriously inaccurate and tend to over-estimate your fuel mileage, partially due to the fact that OEM-recommended tire sizes are slightly smaller than the odometer is calibrated for. All this means is that you really haven't quite crossed your mileage warranty point quite as fast as you thought because you haven't gone as many actual miles, and that also means that your computer-calculated miles per gallon are probably falsely high.

All this is why a lot of us insist on complete fillups and hand-calculated mileage numbers.

Please forgive my explanation if you already know all this... just making sure that all the rationale is available for anyone who is interested.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
gradyc
wellhead

Thanks for the great write up Pete.I think I had a brain fart (like a few others have on here) when I was cutting the vent tube. I knew there were two of them in the tank. I believe I cut the the fill vent tube. Ayway it is much, much better than it was.

Grady

Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
You're probably right, bama29fan, because you have a long wheel base which comes with a larger tank. The short wheel base trucks came with tanks in front of the rear axle which were classified as either 28 or 29 gallons. My Excursion has a Ford-tagged 44 gallon tank, but I've put a tad over 44 gallons in it on a couple of occasions where I had not run out of fuel before filling up.

The whole point is that you can put more in than the OEM-rated capacity, and just how much depends on whether or not you fill it up completely to the top with no foam or if you stop somewhere short of that position. I, like many other, have chosen to keep filling until I see the clear fuel in the fill tube so I can know that I am filling up to the same point from tank-to-tank for the most accurate fuel mileage calculations.

The on-board mileage computers are notoriously inaccurate and tend to over-estimate your fuel mileage, partially due to the fact that OEM-recommended tire sizes are slightly smaller than the odometer is calibrated for. All this means is that you really haven't quite crossed your mileage warranty point quite as fast as you thought because you haven't gone as many actual miles, and that also means that your computer-calculated miles per gallon are probably falsely high.

All this is why a lot of us insist on complete fillups and hand-calculated mileage numbers.

Please forgive my explanation if you already know all this... just making sure that all the rationale is available for anyone who is interested.
thanks...i thought i had read/heard my tank was 38gal somewhere....i always hand calculate mileage and even tho i havent done the intank mod (yet) i try to fill up the same every time...foam or no foam if its done consistently I hope it would give the same results.

Search this Thread