1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

HELP! '89 F-150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:10 PM
fordnut forever
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you check the safety switch on your clutch pedal,alot of those can be a headache

Old 05-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Jicapop
New User
Yep, did that when i decided to take out the ignition switch. Although, the truck used to start without the clutch pressed so im not to sure its even right but there is power goin to the switch.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you getting power to the solenoids energizing terminal when you turn the key to start??

Not sure of the wire color for the gasser...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 05-21-2010, 04:41 AM
Jicapop
New User
Yeah, checked it with a multimeter and a light tester. The only thing i wonder about it is according to the meter its only runnin 3 or 4 volts. Im not sure if thats how much its supposed to send to the solenoid or if it should be straight 12 volt current. I was even thinking of replacing the ecu to see if that might help but i doubt it will.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
There is your problem ... The Ignition Switch when in the Start position should supply 12v+ to the solenoids 'S' terminal. (energizing/start terminal)

If the solenoid has four terminals, one large one is Battery HOT, the other goes to the starter, one small terminal is the 'I' terminal and supplies 12v+ to the ignition coil for easier starting, the other small terminal (the 'S' terminal) comes from the ignition switch via clutch or park/neutral switch.

The wire that attaches to the 'S' terminal (Not 100% sure but I believe the wire color is red with blue tracer, don't know gassers!) should have 12v+ with the key in the start position, clutch in or in park/neutral.

You also state it will start by jumping the Solenoid, you mean applying 12v+ to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid. That also says it's in the start circuit from the key switch.

-Enjoy

Old 05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Jicapop
New User
Yeah i think your right. Ive been out there tryin different things and now i think the ignition switch went bad completely because if i turn the key forward but not try to start it everything dies. But its weird cause if i have the key off and try to turn on the headlights or even hittin the horn everything quits until i turn off everything. Ive been usin the dome light to see whats goin on but now i have no power for the fuel pump or anything. Its like as soon as i try to draw any power from the battery and by the way i tried a couple different batteries with it everything dies and the hot terminal on the battery gets really hot. But yeah i thought that red wire was supposed to run 12 volt through it but wasnt positive. So now im worse off than before. I cant even get the buzzing sound from the solenoid. I also need to find the fuel pump shut off switch because i was thinkin i might need to reset it. But i have no clue where it is and dont have the owners manual to look it up. I dont think its the problem either but im willing to try anything. Looks like im gonna have to replace the ignition switch again and see what happens. Thank you for all the help let me know if you can think of anything else

Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Sounds like the power feed to the cab is failing ...

I don't know how the gassers get their power, I suspect there is a fusible link coming off the solenoid BATTERY terminal that feeds the cab, I would check that out.

Someone with more knowledge then I of the gasser needs to chime in.

Does it still start if you jump the solenoid 'S' terminal??

Another thing to check is grounds, engine to cab, cab to chassis.

-Enjoy

Old 05-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Jicapop
New User
Well.... I really feel like an idiot lol. I finally got the problem fixed and it runs great. The wire that ended up being bad was the only one i overlooked because when i tested it i had 12 volt current through it so i assumed it was good. But, as soon as i would pull current from the battery say turning on the headlights or even hittin the horn everything would die. It was the hot wire comin off the battery over to the solenoid. Im guessin it had corrosion in it or something. It was good enough to show current through it but as soon as you would put a load on it thats when it was shorting out. Its funny though i still cant believe i didnt change that wire when i changed all the other ones. It looked perfect. But i am so happy it runs. Thanks everyone for all the insight i truly appreciate it. Sorry by the way for havin this post in the wrong section i didnt even realize it until after i had posted. Thanks again!!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Nitehawk770
New User
is it at least turning over? if its not turning over, check the clutch interlock switch.......it wont let the starter turn over if it isnt completing the connection. if i remember correctly, it should be somewhere on the top of the clutch pedal, kinda under the dash. start with that