1997 F-350 460 Towing Mods Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Dezertracer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F-350 460 Towing Mods Update

I recently completed a cam change, etc. on my truck and wanted to thank Scott Johnston AKA “The Mad Porter” at RHP for all of his help. He dialed in my combo and his customer service skills exceeded my expectations. A custom cam from him wasn’t much more than an off the shelf grind and Scott answered every “newb” question that I had every step of the way. His answers were encouraging and helpful and were NEVER condescending. <o>

</o>
My truck is a 1997 F-350 Crew Cab - Long Bed - 460 CA model w/ mass air - E4OD - 4x4 w/ 4.10 gears and 33 x 12.50 tires. It is mostly used for towing a 10k pound fifth wheel toyhauler from sea level, over a 4k’ mountain pass and back again. The engine/truck has 100k miles on it and my goals were to increase the torque without having to remove the heads and to keep it CA smog legal.<o>

</o>
Mods to date (no cylinder head work/chip):<o>

</o>
John Wood built E4OD<o>

</o>
Banks headers and big single exhaust (previous mod)<o>

</o>
K&N air filter in stock air box (previous mod)<o>

</o>
Cut air horns (previous mod)<o>

</o>
BBK 61mm throttle body (previous mod)<o>

</o>
Ported intake manifold by RHP<o>

</o>
Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator at 44psi WOT (46psi w/ vacuum unplugged)<o>

</o>
Custom Voodoo 61600 cam with 114 LSA by RHP<o></o>
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 250/256<o></o>
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 207/213<o></o>
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .503/.535<o></o>
  • RPM Range: idle-5000<o></o>
Upgraded drop in valve springs with +.050 locks on exhaust supplied by RHP<o></o>

12 degrees initial timing<o>

</o>
I drove the truck a few hundred miles to make sure that it was solid and then had the truck dyno'd at 229 HP/331 TQ at the rear wheels. Not bad for a smog legal engine with 100K miles on it and 33" tires, etc. that was rated by Ford at 245 HP/400 TQ at the flywheel. <o>

</o>
I recently had my truck smogged and was pleased with how easily it passed CA’s strict emission requirements. CA does not check timing for my year, so I did not have to adjust that, nor did I adjust the fuel pressure regulator back to stock psi. <o>

</o>
The truck has been running great (under 3k miles since completion) and getting 11.5 mpg highway and about 7 mpg highway towing 10k+ lb fifth wheel! (before mods was 10.5 - 11 mpg highway and 5 mpg towing…) The real test for me was pulling mountain grades (up to 6%.) Before the cam, etc. change, 35 MPH was the norm (with Banks headers, etc.) My truck/trailer combo will now pull the same grades at 45+ MPH (cruising speed-not floored.) <o>

</o>
Am I happy with the results? Yes, very, considering the upgrades were mild and my expectations were realistic. I am the original owner of my truck and I wanted to stretch out its use for a few more years. In some ways, I wish that I would have purchased the diesel engine over the 460, but for my limited use it did not make sense. Maybe a built stroker engine in the future?<o>

</o>
I am often amazed how people glean information from the pros on the forums and then turn around and purchase the recommended parts from someone else. You may or may not be able to purchase your parts cheaper from Summit or some guy on eBay, but they are not going to be there for you when you need help and have questions. For me, that pro was Scott Johnston at RHP, phone 253-988-6648, http://reincarnation-automotive.com.<o>
</o>

<o>></o>>

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]--><o>Dez</o>
<o>
</o>

Old 03-04-2010, 04:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, that unit is sure nice for a 96.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dezertracer
I recently completed a cam change, etc. on my truck and wanted to thank Scott Johnston AKA “The Mad Porter” at RHP for all of his help. He dialed in my combo and his customer service skills exceeded my expectations. A custom cam from him wasn’t much more than an off the shelf grind and Scott answered every “newb” question that I had every step of the way. His answers were encouraging and helpful and were NEVER condescending. <O>

</O>My truck is a 1997 F-350 Crew Cab - Long Bed - 460 CA model w/ mass air - E4OD - 4x4 w/ 4.10 gears and 33 x 12.50 tires. It is mostly used for towing a 10k pound fifth wheel toyhauler from sea level, over a 4k’ mountain pass and back again. The engine/truck has 100k miles on it and my goals were to increase the torque without having to remove the heads and to keep it CA smog legal.<O>

</O>Mods to date (no cylinder head work/chip):<O>

</O>John Wood built E4OD<O>

</O>Banks headers and big single exhaust (previous mod)<O>

</O>K&N air filter in stock air box (previous mod)<O>

</O>Cut air horns (previous mod)<O>

</O>BBK 61mm throttle body (previous mod)<O>

</O>Ported intake manifold by RHP<O>

</O>Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator at 44psi WOT (46psi w/ vacuum unplugged)<O>

</O>Custom Voodoo 61600 cam with 114 LSA by RHP<O></O>
  • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 250/256<O></O>
  • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 207/213<O></O>
  • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .503/.535<O></O>
  • RPM Range: idle-5000<O></O>
Upgraded drop in valve springs with +.050 locks on exhaust supplied by RHP<O></O>

12 degrees initial timing<O>

</O>I drove the truck a few hundred miles to make sure that it was solid and then had the truck dyno'd at 229 HP/331 TQ at the rear wheels. Not bad for a smog legal engine with 100K miles on it and 33" tires, etc. that was rated by Ford at 245 HP/400 TQ at the flywheel. <O>

</O>I recently had my truck smogged and was pleased with how easily it passed CA’s strict emission requirements. CA does not check timing for my year, so I did not have to adjust that, nor did I adjust the fuel pressure regulator back to stock psi. <O>

</O>The truck has been running great (under 3k miles since completion) and getting 11.5 mpg highway and about 7 mpg highway towing 10k+ lb fifth wheel! (before mods was 10.5 - 11 mpg highway and 5 mpg towing…) The real test for me was pulling mountain grades (up to 6%.) Before the cam, etc. change, 35 MPH was the norm (with Banks headers, etc.) My truck/trailer combo will now pull the same grades at 45+ MPH (cruising speed-not floored.) <O>

</O>Am I happy with the results? Yes, very, considering the upgrades were mild and my expectations were realistic. I am the original owner of my truck and I wanted to stretch out its use for a few more years. In some ways, I wish that I would have purchased the diesel engine over the 460, but for my limited use it did not make sense. Maybe a built stroker engine in the future?<O>

</O>I am often amazed how people glean information from the pros on the forums and then turn around and purchase the recommended parts from someone else. You may or may not be able to purchase your parts cheaper from Summit or some guy on eBay, but they are not going to be there for you when you need help and have questions. For me, that pro was Scott Johnston at RHP, phone 253-988-6648, http://reincarnation-automotive.com.<O>
</O>

<O>></O>>

<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]--><O>Dez</O><O>
</O>
Is the Kirban FPR mounted to the stock fuel rail. If so do you have the part #
Thanks
BigLar

Old 03-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Dezertracer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by larrylass
Is the Kirban FPR mounted to the stock fuel rail. If so do you have the part #
Thanks
BigLar
The Kirban FPR (part number 5018) that I used is designed for '94-'97 Ford Mustangs (two mounting ears on FPR) and mounts to the stock fuel rail. The Kirban unit is well known in the Mustang world, cheaper than the BBK and is easily rebuildable (the BBK is not.) Kirban website here: 1994-1995 1996 1997 1998 Ford Mustang GT 4.6 5.0 Shelby Cobra BILLET ALUMINUM ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR #5018

Dez

Old 03-05-2010, 10:00 PM
larrylass
Senior User
Thanks alot Dez much apprieciated

BigLar

Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
OldRacerGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice work! That engine compartment is clean. So how is the part throttle driveability? Does it need to rev higher to make power or is the torque boost useable down low?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Dezertracer
Freshman User
Originally Posted by OldRacerGuy
Very nice work! That engine compartment is clean. So how is the part throttle driveability? Does it need to rev higher to make power or is the torque boost useable down low?
Driveability is stock; just a well running engine. Throttle response is improved. Torque is improved off-idle and pulls well until about 2300-2500rpm, where it starts to pull really strong. The engine ran like crap (bog) until I got the fuel pressure dialed in, but that improvement alone has been night and day. By the way, my engine runs great on 87 octane; I use 91 octane when towing heavy for extra protection from pinging. I don't know if I actually need it or not.

Looking forward to a complete report on your improvements, RacerGuy...

Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 PM
OldRacerGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I've got a pile of parts waiting for install, but finding the time has been tough. It's great to hear that I'm on the right track being that I have really similar parts to your build. I'll have to grab an adjustable FPR after hearing how your truck ran. And I keep looking at the spare intake manifold I've got thinking it needs some RHP porting...

Old 09-29-2012, 02:03 AM
ittlgetit2
New User
Smile intake hoses

Hey great post about your pickup. Could you please tell us about the air filter and what looks like bigger intake hoses. I cannot find any good dual coldair intake for my 95 460. The stock hoses are starting to pinch on mine. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM
7DF250
Elder User
His intake looks to me to be the factory MAF set up & air box.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 PM
ittlgetit2
New User
intake hoses

I guess mine is a lot different. Mine just has a black box with factory filter and two little hoses that go to intake. Where they turn they are pinched to about closed. What or where do go to replace with something that will flow some air? Thank you

Old 10-07-2012, 11:34 PM
7DF250
Elder User
There is a larger aftermarket throttle body but intake hoses you would have to make. I have seen some cool aluminum tubes with rubber joints used but they were for show, you could make them larger diameter but will still be resricted at the throttle body.