Sponsored by:

K&N Airfilter for the 6.8L V10

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 04:02 PM
OutlawNomad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Airfilter for the 6.8L V10

Is it beneficial? is there a MPG increase?
I know its a good idea for the PSD's but is it for the V10's?
E-0945 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

Old 03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
ukmat71
Senior User

i have still only got 14.8mpg average on a good run. on my best attempt.

the V10's dont do well on mpg compared with the other side (diesel)
but we dont have as many problems as they seem to have....

if your running stock , then in my opinion keep it that way , it aint worth the change.

the only way i actually noticed mgp increase was to follow a HUGE 40' truck going down the road , by about 5 foot behind, when its brake lights came on i was worried

Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM
tdappleman
Fleet Mechanic
I think you'll hear back from others that the OEM filters end up performing just as well (sometimes better) so it's not really worth it from a performance perspective. It does make sense as it is reusable and will save you money in the long run. I've had them in other vehicles and never saw a mpg increase but did like being able to clean and reuse them.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i didnt notice much other then alittle more noise..but i also cut the front of the intake open at the same time. i'll be replacing it with a full replacment intake soon and see what if any differance that makes.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
OutlawNomad
Senior User
I mean, I did own a 93 Mustang Cobra & the K&N did make sense, but for the Excursion I don't know if it makes as much sense.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Hybris
Posting Guru
When I replaced my month old paper filter with a K&N I saw a honest 3 mpg increase and the truck had better throttle response and maybe a hair more power but no new noises under the hood.

My families other cars that I have put K&N's in and the results:
91 Mercedes 350 SDL (Less turbo lag and 1-2 mpg increase in city and highway)
03 Ford Taurus (Better throttle response and more pep consistent 2 mpg increase)
98 Chevy Lumina (Massive increase in throttle response and more power but no changes to mileage.)

Also I have re-oiled all 4 filters and saved well over $100 over paper filters, maybe I'm just lucky or this is just a nominally in the statistics either way I'm happy.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 AM
animal70X7
Senior User
the only way i actually noticed mgp increase was to follow a HUGE 40' truck going down the road , by about 5 foot behind, when its brake lights came on i was worried[/quote]

If you do that again, I'm going to push my clutch in and you will be underneath the trailer when you wake up. I HATE when people do that when I am driving my rig. Most of you don't realize that almost ALL semi trailer tires are retreads and could blow at anytime. When the cap peels of at 5 feet it will probably blow out your windshield....

Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Skullonarm
Senior User
I put one on my 6.8, and got 1mpg better all the way around. I also did the ZooDad Mod which a lot of people on this forum will tell you that it doesn't work. For my Excursion it did. The throttle response is better also. I also Have never found any oil or sand or anything on the mass air flow sensor. The Ex has ran perfectly with these mods. I just got back three days ago on my first long trip in this rig after owning it for almost two years and I got 17mpg on the highway going 68 mph. Very very happy with this. If you do go with the K&N filter save your old filter,so while your K&N filter is drying out after cleaning you can put your stock filter back in so you can still use your rig. If you have any doubts about the change don't do it. The stock set up is a very good filtration system, and is quite,and it is probably better than an aftermarket filter if you go Wheeling in it. :-)>

Last edited by Skullonarm; 03-05-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 AM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was a guy in the 6.8 forum that did a dyno run with stock filter K&N filter, and then a full intake system...... the gain from the oem to K&N was about 6-7hp, and about 12 for the full system...... so you're paying $200+ for only about 12hp...... $50 for 6-7 (but reusable). he also stated that after a few thousand miles (6K i think is what he said) the throttle body was dirtier with the K&N than compared to oem, as well as his MAF wires. the oem fram paper filters are about $16 at wally world, about the same (in my area) for a napa gold filter.....so after a few oem's you'll have payed for a K&N, BUT the oem might provide a cleaner system (oil residue wise) over the K&N!

i do have a K&N for both my V10's, one was free the other was an ebay special, used needed cleaned and ready to go, cheap too.

i have yet to do the "ZOODAD" mod on either of them, although that is on the "to do" list!! i have the intake "snorkel" or snooter cut off the filter covers as well (the one that goes threw to behind the headlight).

Old 03-07-2010, 02:02 AM
howler4x4
More Turbo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AFE dry filter p/n 11-10004 (re-usable)

Noticed slight (1-2 MPG) improvement on highway, nice improvement, from 7.5 to 10.5 MPG, around town. No noise difference.

Nice thing about the dry filter is it's possible to clean it quickly. Pick 1 or all three:
simply knock the dirt off
shoot with air
wet wash (needs time to dry)

Old 03-07-2010, 09:16 PM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
I installed K&N filter and didn't really notice any difference in MPG or HP, but I didn't expect to really notice any, I just purchased for the longevity, but a great tip mentioned earlier to keep old filter to use while K&N is drying, rep points sent!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:27 PM
RobertH
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience is no seat of pants improvement but in long run saves $$ over paper filter at just under $20 ea. With current miles, I have saved replacing 7 paper filters, so figure I have saved over $50 so far and still saving, but got to add that cleaning kit which I think was about $15, so it is not a great savings in the end over paper.
Like others said, Excursion air intake system is already very efficient from most other vehicle designs!

Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
OutlawNomad
Senior User
Good deal, thanks for all the advice.

OEM it stays then

Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Hollywood703
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I get my filters from NAPA for 12.49 I actually do it a bit difference than most. I run a new filter each spring, then have 1 that I re-use come winter time. I found that the winter time filter has lasted 4 winters (Dust/Dirt to a minimum) now and still looks good, but my summer filter is usually very dusty/dirty. I have done this on several vehicles. Costs me about $15 a year for air filters. this way.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Hollywood703
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
also just looked napa sells a K&N Drop in that looks like it fits factory housing for excursions....its $55 but if you like the re-usability.....part # BK 7353769

Quick Reply: K&N Airfilter for the 6.8L V10