Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

Towing with a Transit Connect

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 AM
IZZYAZ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with a Transit Connect

I haven't talked with my local Ford dealer, but looking into a TC for buisness. I am interested in the TC but did not see any tow packages on the Ford web site for the vehicle. I am needing to tow a small utility trailer around (about 3500#, mostly 2000# or less). I would mainly be towing this in town at speeds of 35 mph max. Very rarely at hi-way speeds, but only for about 15 miles.

Just wondering if anyone is using the TC to tow, if it's even possible? I know the 3500# is kind of a killer on a vehicle of this size, but don't really need another pickup, and don't want a full size van, but like the security of having all my tools enclosed.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:30 AM
OLBESSIE
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towing with a TC

by normal peoples standards, you would be taxin her a little, BUT, if you do everything right, and dont cut any corners, you will have something that will work really well for you.

since its built on the old Focus platform, though the back end IS different, you may luck out and the unibody/frame rails MIGHT be the same width apart as the focus, in which case get a class II 3500lb hitch for a focus.

OR, spend the extra cash, get a universal fit class III hitch (get the class three, as it will probly have three mounting points on each side vs two, AND will have the 2in" wide square reciever opening, giving you open options to all sorts of hitch accessory's in the future. yeah i know theres an adapter, but its not nearly as stable...

the transit also has leaf springs out back, giving you the opportunity to go to a spring shop and have them make you up an extra spring or two, at whatever thickness you want, to handle whatever load you need.

OR

this suspension design will make installing airbag assists very easy, and i would highly recommend going that route cause you can adjust suspension stiffness at a whim, I.E: empty, VS loaded with tools, VS loaded with tools and a heavy tongue weight on a trailer... see where i'm goin?

last, but not least, PUT ELECTRIC BRAKES ON YOUR TRAILER, and a controller in the cab... and a big *** auxiliary tranny cooler, lol.

yeah your gonna spend some money if you go ahead with this, but just think of the benefits you will reap... the fuel economy, the maneuverability are the two biggies that stick out in my mind.

good luck dude.