6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Dropping the fuel tank; anything I should do while out

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 10:55 AM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Dropping the fuel tank; anything I should do while out

I was on my way down to my brother's from Ohio to North Carolina a few days ago. Long story short I got half way there and the rear fuel tank strap broke and took out the rear line.

I was able to repair the line with a few off the shelf pre-made steel lines and a ratchet straped for the tank. I had to throw away the brake fluid soaked shirt I was wearing and take a sink bath at the part store I was in the parking lot of making the repairs but I got back on the road at least.

I have all new straps, filler neck and a new cap (apperently Ford changed something and you have to get a new cap as well) from Auto Nation White Bear Lake on the way.

When I get home in a few days I'll need to drop the fuel tank to finish removing the old line and make a proper nicopp line. I ran the new steel line through in parallel and cut out enough of the old line just to get the new one connected. While the tank is out anything I should bother with? I hear mention of the pickup foot being an issue. Is it worth replacing now or leave it alone?

Old 07-23-2020, 11:48 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
You can Harpoon, cut the fuelling drop and vent lines for more fuel in the tank. Buy a new gasket for the top of the tank connection.

They are out of production, so if you can find one then replace. The aftermarket ones do not seem to hold up. Eventually, a sump may be the only option.

There are a few things you can do. I moved my HFCM behind the transfer case so it would be easier to drain, change filters, and replace it when necessary.

I also did that because I believed it would improve the draw from the tank with less length on the inlet side. Along those lines, I also dressed the connection tube where it rolls in as that can cause fuel aeration and a restriction. It's rolled to provide a smooth transition for the connector O-ring, but it extends into the tube flow. Deburring the tube with a Dremmel grinding wheel to the ID does not screw up the O-ring. Although I replaced all that with fuel injector hose.

If you are in an area that does not gel fuel, a stainless steel core plug can eliminate the anti-icing valve from ever being an issue.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:05 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Didn't think about the harpoon mod. Will have to add that to the list. I like the idea of moving the HFCM but might have to hold off on that for now.

Searching through some threads like you said Jack it seems the Ford fuel pickup foot is hard to find. I'll have to do some searching for one.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:26 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I moved it the hard way. I reused the stainless steel lines between the tank and the HFCM using Swagelok fittings to union the lines, then used fuel hose tank to HFCM. An easier way would have been to use a Dorman fuel connector at the old hardline connections and go fuel hose between. I made a pattern for the HFCM bolts for the frame redrill, needing to drill only two and using one existing. I extended the 2ft or so jumper wire to make the leap.

Different types of fitting you can get.

It's not a big deal one way or the other, people have not jumped on doing this. After my last diesel bath a dozen years ago, I had enough.

I'll through some pics up anyway 'cause I'm just waiting to donate blood.

I had to hunt on eBay to find one.

Old 07-24-2020, 07:27 AM
dmmccarter
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
....I'll through some pics up anyway 'cause I'm just waiting to donate blood.
Thank you for donating blood!

I was a Blood Bank exec for many years before my boss upgrade (started my own business) and I have much respect for blood donors.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Thanks, I do it routinely. I get a B+ for doing it, but I have to watch to make sure my platelets and RBC are high enough. The local RC building (5min away) was filled yesterday. I never had to wait that long and they had the same amount of beds as usual.

A little blood humor there.....

Old 08-24-2020, 02:02 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Finally got around to dropping the tank, replacing the brake line, doing the harpoon mod, reinstalling the tank with new straps and new filler neck. Filled my tank afterwards and holy sh** can you get a lot more fuel in the tank after you harpooning it!

Old 08-24-2020, 02:44 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
I just topped mine off for the first time since the harpoon mod today. Very nice! All the way full with no futzing around.