2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

2011 Expedition... what it needs to be.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Expedition... what it needs to be.

Nissan Patrol
2010 Nissan Patrol - First Drive - Truck Trend

Well it needs to be better than the new Nissan Patrol. So it needs the 6.2L V8, and EcoBoost V6. It's needs to be in the global market, so give it the 4.4L V8 diesel too. It needs the E-locking rear diff (one for the front would be good too). It also needs to feel upmarket. I hope Ford doesn't disappoint with the Expedition.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:06 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
So it's a re-named Armada with some goodies. I wouldn't dream of taking my Expy off road. It's just not suited for that type of driving. It should be a very capable and well mannered on road machine that can handle snow, ice and poorly maintained country road conditions. It should be able to pull 10K and it should have a better variety of engines.

Tim

Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
The Ford Expedition is a better offroader than what most people give it credit for.
All it really needs is a proper off road driver who knows the terrain and what the vehicle is capable of.

Its designed to tow and haul heavy loads while seating up to eight occupants. All while having a proper 4-wheel-drive system with a BorgWanrer 2-speed electronic transfer gearbox with low range gearing and electronic locking center differential. 2007-onward Expedition’s have a off road crawl ratio of 41.06:1 (better than the 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser) with the 3.73:1 rear axel ratio.

How good are Expeditions off road? Just ask the Russians that used three of them in an overland expedition in 2006 across northern Asia. They traveled almost 30,000 kilometers (about 18,641 miles) round trip. For part of the expedition they only had GPS to guide them, stating that roads only show-up on maps which are of no help whatsoever. The overland expedition was successful, and the vehicles themselves were only lightly modified, virtually stock.

You can find more info here:
Moscow-Chukotka Expedition

So if anyone ever asks you has the Ford Expedition ever been on an expedition? You can say: "Yes it has! It is worthy of its name".

Old 02-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
Oh I love the Expedition, don't get me wrong. I would like something other than just an open diff on the back though. Even if it were a LSD, that would be great. But locking diffs seems to be the norm now. Super Duty is getting it. I just hate the one-wheel-spin thing I have with my open diff on my F-150. Especially when it's wet and you are turning on to another street, and you want to put your foot down and beat the other cars. Or when one wheel has traction and only the wheel that doesn't have traction tries to spin. Another realistic situation I have, is ice patches on roads. You go, but there is one tire on a patch of ice, the other isn't. The one that is on a patch of ice spins, and then catches suddenly. Bad for the tire, bad for the diff! If both wheels were driving, it likely wouldn't have spun in the first place. Actually, if it was today's Eddie Bauer model, and it had a rear LSD/locker and the 6.2, it would be perfect to me!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
Of course, there is always room for improvement. Though the Expedition’s 4-wheel electronic traction control system will take care of any one wheel spinning. It works on pavement, but it’s also programmed for off road use too. It’s like having front & rear limited-slip differentials.

Believe it or not, the Toyota Land Cruiser 200 and Land-Rover Range Rover only use 4-wheel electronic traction control. They both have open front & rear diffs. A rear locker has only recently become optional on the Range Rover, and you must pay out the nose to get it.

What I would like to see as far as off road improvements with the Expedition:

Mechanical: More ground clearance, better underbody protection, electronic locking rear differential, improved water fording capability

Electronic: Hill decent control, Hill accent control, all-terrain ABS and off road programs to fine-tune the vehicle to its surrounding terrain (Range Rover and upcoming 2011 Grand Cherokee have this type of system)

Some of these electronic off road systems may seem unnecessary, but when used properly they do work. And eventually, the automotive society will criticize the Expedition for not having them (they’ll call it old fashioned, not that there is anything wrong with being old school, but you know they will)

Ford likely would not offer a electronic locking front differential for safety reasons, other manufactures like Land-Rover also do not offer electronic locking front differentials in it’s SUVs. AdvanceTrac can effectively look after the Expedition’s front wheels.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
I have a feeling most of our wishes will be granted, as they are realistic. I just hope it will be the 2011 model year that gets these upgrades! I found one pic that showed the 3rd row in the Nissan Patrol. Definitely smaller than the 3rd row seats in the Expedition. I think Ford will always be the class leader right there.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:43 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Needs to use better plastic. The plastic in the 07's and up is cheap. Cuts and marks easily, is porous and just thinner than the plastic Ford use to use.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 PM
GlassLeather&Wood
Junior User
I should mention the current outgoing Expedition (known internally as the U324) won’t be new for the 2011 model year. Ford’s original plan for Expedition is to refresh the SUV for the 2012 model year. This refresh plan likely due in part of the receding sales and unknown future of the full-size SUV market. What is done to the Expedition largely depends on its competitors:

Rumors suggested that GM was to move the Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban and their rebadged siblings from GMC and Cadillac to the Lambda car platform, turning the SUVs into watered-down front-wheel-drive car based crossover SUVs.

However, GM released information stating that the current Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban (along with GMC and Cadillac versions) would get replacements around 2012 or 2013. The new SUVs will be full-size truck based body-on-frame.

Toyota still has the Sequoia and Land Cruiser. Nissan still has the Armada. Dodge has nothing as of now. A replacement for the Durango is on its way, but is said to be a crossover SUV.

With news of new GM SUVs coming, Ford is probably rethinking that original refresh plan and is at the very least considering a all-new Expedition.

Here is the forecasted production plan up to the 2014 model year. It stops at 2014 for ALL vehicles, this does not mean discontinuation of the Expedition.

Note that the Expedition is no longer assembled at the Michigan truck plant. They are assembled at the Kentucky truck plant as of 2009.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:23 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
The Ford Expedition is a better offroader than what most people give it credit for.
All it really needs is a proper off road driver who knows the terrain and what the vehicle is capable of.

Its designed to tow and haul heavy loads while seating up to eight occupants. All while having a proper 4-wheel-drive system with a BorgWanrer 2-speed electronic transfer gearbox with low range gearing and electronic locking center differential. 2007-onward Expedition’s have a off road crawl ratio of 41.06:1 (better than the 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser) with the 3.73:1 rear axel ratio.

How good are Expeditions off road? Just ask the Russians that used three of them in an overland expedition in 2006 across northern Asia. They traveled almost 30,000 kilometers (about 18,641 miles) round trip. For part of the expedition they only had GPS to guide them, stating that roads only show-up on maps which are of no help whatsoever. The overland expedition was successful, and the vehicles themselves were only lightly modified, virtually stock.

You can find more info here:
Moscow-Chukotka Expedition

So if anyone ever asks you has the Ford Expedition ever been on an expedition? You can say: "Yes it has! It is worthy of its name".
Fantastic post and reps sent. I had no idea the Expy is that tough.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Fearsam
Freshman User
The 4WD system works very, very well with the proper tires. I have taken my 07 expedition to some pretty remote places here in Oregon. Haven't needed the winch yet, knock on wood. Its kinda fun to go out and explore the wilderness for a day. I have also met some jeeps on the trails, usually with a confused look of "How did you get that up here??". It does have a few badges of honer, nothing that can't be buffed out though.

I agree, it should have more armor on the under side. I really hope they keep it on a truck frame. It might be plush, but the Expedition can go though some nasty conditions if need be.

1. I would like so see the ability for the owner to adjust the rear air height manually. I have a leveling kit from DayStar that works well. But it would be nice to adjust the rear a bit. Maybe a sensor that says you can only go up X amount of inch's before you damage the airbags. I'm sure it can be done now with programming, but I'm not sure what computer to plug in to adjust it. I believe the sensor is just potentiometer.

2. Headlights that turn left or right depending on which way your turning. I know, its more electronics to go wrong, but it would be cool.

3. Optional FLIR camera hidden in the grille. Expensive, yes. However, hitting a deer or cow on rural road or hwy is no fun. Its pretty easy to out run your headlights. Safety, Safety, Safety!! Not to mention bikes with no lighting at night!

4. The cool dashboard of the new F-350 that allows you to add or change certain gauges.

5. Longer warranty on the drive train to keep up Chevy's new warranty they are advertising. I don't know much about it, so I could be WAY off point.

6. Optional up-lifter switches that would pop in to that rubber space in front of the shifter.

7. Down hill decent control. I believe the Raptor has it.

8. An Expedition that is designed by the SVT team. I know it probably won't happen, but I can "Dream" =O)

9. Get Mike Rowe to do some Expedition commercials!!!

Thats it for now, i'm sure I will think of more.

I'm planning some more trips to the mountain pretty soon. I will defiantly let you know if we run across Big Foot.

Cheers,

Robert

P.S.,

GlassLeather&Wood, thanks again for all the good info.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 AM
chuck s
Elder User
You mean I have the only SVT Expedition here?

-- Chuck

Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 PM
gvdcpa
Freshman User
Anyone know when the 2011 production run will start? I spoke to my dealer recently and they still did not have the order information in house.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:14 PM
eddiemoney
Senior User
You have a while yet. 2011 build will likely start in Julyish.