Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chamber is off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chamber is off?

Hey everyone, my truck has a 3" body lift.

Recently I had procomp leveling springs installed with rancho shocks so that I can fit my new 35" on

When they did this they had to put a chamber kit in because of the levelling kit.

The problem is now that my tires look tilted in at the bottom (they look a bit pigeon toed if that makes sense).

I took it back to the shop that did the alignment and they tell me that this is a common problem with f150 my year when you do this kind of lift. He said with the Independent front suspension they have adjusted it as far as it will go and all I can do is rotate my tires every year.

Does this sound normal or does it sound like these guys are being stupid.

Thanks!
I have a
1994 f150 4x4 300

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
The guys at that shop are morons who don't understand how to lift a truck.

You just had leveling springs installed? 1.5" or 2", right? Then the shop that did installed the kit should know that they have to install aftermarket camber bushings to correct for the lift. They are definitely available, other users here have used them. Anything more than 2" of lift in the front will require drop brackets though.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:04 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
It was 2.5" leveling, i can try and post pics if it makes a diff

Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
andym
Post Fiend
2.5" is probably too much without drop brackets. But again, the shop should have known this and made it clear that they would not be able to align the truck unless you either went with a smaller kit or use drop brackets.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:06 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
I went to a second shop today as well and they told me there isn't much i can do about it with my lift the way it is, i dunoo what the heck is going on.....

Its not SUPER off, but you can definetly tell just by l0ooking at it

Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 AM
vlasveld
Freshman User
Drop brackets? How much would it cost to put some of them in, I would have to pay a shop because I'm not mechanical.

You think they would fix the problem?

Also do you think over time like a few months it would level out a bit?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by vlasveld
Drop brackets? How much would it cost to put some of them in, I would have to pay a shop because I'm not mechanical.

You think they would fix the problem?

Also do you think over time like a few months it would level out a bit?
It may level out over time. Springs do sag. You might be able to accelerate this process by, um, vigorously exercising the suspension.

I don't know what it would cost for drop brackets. If it were me, I would take it back, tell the shop that I am unsatisfied with the quality of their work and lack of expertise and either return my truck to stock or correct the camber even if it means installing a slightly smaller kit.

You SHOULD NOT accept poor tire wear and incorrect alignment as a consequence of a leveling kit. A proper kit will align just fine.