1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

05 Navi - replace airbags or go coils?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 11:32 PM
orange57
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Navi - replace airbags or go coils?

So I am at a deciding point. The front bags have a slow leak, where the truck leaks down overnight. I'm debating if I swap to coils now to avoid future headaches, or jut replace the front air struts and keep motoring until the next problem arises. The truck rides really nice, I don't want to lose that smoothness. Any input is appreciated.

Matt

Old 02-14-2016, 01:13 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by orange57
So I am at a deciding point. The front bags have a slow leak, where the truck leaks down overnight. I'm debating if I swap to coils now to avoid future headaches, or jut replace the front air struts and keep motoring until the next problem arises. The truck rides really nice, I don't want to lose that smoothness. Any input is appreciated.

Matt
I don't know how many miles are on your truck, but I bet you got you monies worth out of those. In my opinion these trucks are worth the cost to keep them running for what they give you in return. I'd stay with the air system.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:33 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on budget and future plans. If you have the dough and don't mind spending it, and you plan on keeping the truck for a long time then get new air bags. If you want to save or plan on selling it soon, just swap to coils, its cheaper.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:04 AM
orange57
Freshman User
We just got the truck. So we plan on keeping it 2 to 3 years at least. I've been leaning g towards new bags, personally. Just curious what others think or have done.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
After replacing mine on my I loved the ride of my air shocks. I used Suncore from CarID. They had the best price at the time.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:22 PM
orange57
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Starry Night
After replacing mine on my I loved the ride of my air shocks. I used Suncore from CarID. They had the best price at the time.
How long ago did you replace them? Still working well? I did some more googling and decided on keeping the air. Just ordered the Soncore bags this morning. I found reviews from other cars where people used the Suncore stuff and they seemed pretty positive, but nothung about them in a navigator.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:26 PM
orange57
Freshman User
Maybe I should have held off on ordering. right now, Rockauto has Westar front air struts for $127 each. Seems like a pretty solid deal, but I can't find any information on Westar struts.

Old 02-20-2016, 01:10 PM
orange57
Freshman User
I got our other car sold and we started parking the Navigator in the garage. The struts barely leak down now. When it was parked in the driveway and it got down to the 30-40 degree temps it would drop down.

Well, anyways, the new struts should be in next week. I still plan to replace them, as from what I read, the leak down in cold weather is a pre-cursor to eventual failure.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
Originally Posted by orange57
How long ago did you replace them? Still working well? I did some more googling and decided on keeping the air. Just ordered the Soncore bags this morning. I found reviews from other cars where people used the Suncore stuff and they seemed pretty positive, but nothung about them in a navigator.
I replaced mine last year, the were fine, however I just learned I have a leak in the front right side. I am checking to see if it is the bag or solenoid and it only happens when it is very cold out. They are still under warranty if it is the bag. My solenoids are original but with new o-rings. I will let you know what the outcome is. I do have to say, what a difference. Rides like a new truck again and I changed the front end parts too.

I did find out Arnott has a new air shock for the Navigators. The top is made out of machined aluminum.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:11 PM
orange57
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Starry Night
I replaced mine last year, the were fine, however I just learned I have a leak in the front right side. I am checking to see if it is the bag or solenoid and it only happens when it is very cold out. They are still under warranty if it is the bag. My solenoids are original but with new o-rings. I will let you know what the outcome is. I do have to say, what a difference. Rides like a new truck again and I changed the front end parts too.

I did find out Arnott has a new air shock for the Navigators. The top is made out of machined aluminum.
What other front end parts did you swap out? I get some clunky from the front end here or there. I will take a closer look when I swap the bags.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Starry Night
Junior User
I ended up changing my ball joints, upper control arms and tie rod ends. If you do change you ball joints you will have to cut away part of the metal to get the ball joints to press out. Stupid part from Ford. I did not know that at first and struggled for a number of hours scratching my head thinking why will they not come out. I even broke the C press I was using. There may be a special tool for the Ford ball joints, but after figuring it out it went smooth. I used all Moog parts from on line. While you are taking apart everything it just makes sense. Make sure you measure the distance on the tie rod ends before you remove. Then replace at same distance. Remember you will still need to get a wheel alignment even after you replace you shocks. This is why I replaced front end parts. What a difference the way the truck rides. I also just put new wheels and Firestone LE2's on it. Nice set up. The pictures were from 2 years ago when I replaced the front end parts and brakes. FYI the brakes and rotors that I thought would be great, sucked, I got 12,000 miles using EBC...never again... I switched to Power Stop.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:45 AM
03NavigatorGuy
New User
Keep the Air Suspension! It's one of the best features on the 03-06 Navi's. If you can work on it yourself, it's not too complex, and most replacement parts can be had for reasonable prices, especially when compared to OEM prices from the Dealer.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Starry Night
Junior User
Originally Posted by 03NavigatorGuy
Keep the Air Suspension! It's one of the best features on the 03-06 Navi's. If you can work on it yourself, it's not too complex, and most replacement parts can be had for reasonable prices, especially when compared to OEM prices from the Dealer.
So true on the cost at the dealership. And yes parts are available. I just purchase 4 new solenoids manufactured by Westar. SO-7593 for a 2004 navigator. I think they were $28.00 each

Part Type Results