Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo R&R Lessons Learned

Old 02-20-2010, 12:41 AM
JockD
Elder User
JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Turbo R&R Lessons Learned

I replaced the o-rings on my turbo and pedistal the other day. Information from this site was very valuable, and I thought that I would share what I learned by doing it myself.

It is much easier to access the EBPV link to unhook and rehook the clip and eye to the arm if you remove the passenger side lifting eye. It takes two bolts, which are two different sizes. The rear bolt is the hard one. I used a 1/2" impact wrench, and it took both a wobbly socket and a universal joint with an extension in order to access it. The front bolt is easier, and only takes a wobbly or u-joint.

When removing the clamp linking the turbo to the y-collector (baby's butt), the hard part is getting the clamp loose. First you need to remove the t-bolt completely, then disloge the v's by applying force. Since it is very difficult to access the v's, I made two tools for this. The first one was a piece of 1/2" round bar that I bent at about a 30 degree angle so it would clear the firewall while I hit it with a soft hammer to dislodge the "v" from the passenger side of the joint. It is very important to get the end of the rod against the edge of the "v" rather than the light-weight band. The band will be damaged if you pound on it at all!

the second tool was a home-made slide hammer that I made out of a Harbor Freight pry bar and an old diesel wrist pin. I welded a scrap collar on the end of the bar to retain the pin. I hooked the bar over the end of the "v" on the driver's side and used the slide hammer functon to dislodge it. Again, you must be careful to apply the pressure to the "v" and not the light-weight band.

Once these two parts of the clamp are loose, you can wiggle the clamp enough to make it break loose on the bottom.

When replacing the clamps, especially the turbo intake, be sure to point the t-bolt where it will be easy to access the next time!

I have posted photos of these items in my albums under "Turbo R&R", so go there to see what I am talking about.

P.S. The photos were taken on a spare engine. I did not remove the cab to R&R the Turbo, since it is an OLD truck!

Last edited by JockD; 02-20-2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: add P.S.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:18 AM
mueckster
Post Fiend
mueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputationmueckster has a superb reputation
Removing the clamps always seems to be the most difficult part of removal, or at least the most frustrating. I use a small pry that has a angled end like the bar you described. Since its first removal, my clamps have come off with no problems thereafter. I guess I've just had mine off a few more times than most. Not due to problems, just trying different upgrades.
Glad to hear you have found an easier way to do this. Reps to ya'.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 AM
JockD
Elder User
JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.JockD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks Roland. I sent a message to the Administrators asking them to allow me to post attachments. That way I can post the photos, which are worth the proverbial 1,000 words.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.