Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Excursion Tank, Anybody Put One In Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JockD
How about using billet gas cap covers to hide your conversion? You would have two on the side of the box similar to the OBS locations.
That's another thought, I just don't want the bling effect. I guess I could have them powder coated black or maybe even color matched though.

Barney, I look forward to any info you might have now or in the future.

Peter, I seen they had a few and will be calling them this upcoming week to try and get a price. Have you ever dealt with them? Are they a you pull it operation?

Old 02-20-2010, 09:43 AM
RussB
Posting Guru
Jeff.... isn't there an aftermarket 50gal tank that is made for us SB's. I think a friend of mine in michigan has one... I'll look into it for you if you want !

Old 02-20-2010, 10:10 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WA.Ranger
That's another thought, I just don't want the bling effect. I guess I could have them powder coated black or maybe even color matched though.

Barney, I look forward to any info you might have now or in the future.

Peter, I seen they had a few and will be calling them this upcoming week to try and get a price. Have you ever dealt with them? Are they a you pull it operation?
Jeff as far as prices go, Cory only paid a hundred bucks at the junkyard but
regular price was 175. A SD fuel pump hard wired in will work as well to pump it out.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:11 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel tank selector valve Part # FSV 2A. BWD or Standard #s OReiley's shows them for about $75-80. need a 6 pole switch to toggle between tanks. I'll take some pics today of my fill neck setup for you to see.

Barney

Old 02-20-2010, 10:41 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Here is what it looks like bolted up

Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I was always under the impression that the EX tank was an interference fit with the SuperDuty hitch assembly, and that one would have to also use the EX hitch, too.

Is that not the case?

Pop

Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I have a excursion tank at home I was going to do this with... but with a 105 gallon tank in the bed tied in to the fuel system and the 38 gallon factory tank... I figured another 40 gallons was overkill...

If anyone is interested let me know, I want to sell it for $200... It does not have the tank lid right now. I lost it somewhere...

Old 02-20-2010, 01:20 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Does it come with the skid plate and all? Junkyard price is 175
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
I have a excursion tank at home I was going to do this with... but with a 105 gallon tank in the bed tied in to the fuel system and the 38 gallon factory tank... I figured another 40 gallons was overkill...

If anyone is interested let me know, I want to sell it for $200... It does not have the tank lid right now. I lost it somewhere...

Old 02-20-2010, 01:23 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by SpringerPop
I was always under the impression that the EX tank was an interference fit with the SuperDuty hitch assembly, and that one would have to also use the EX hitch, too.

Is that not the case?

Pop
Now that might still be the case Cory has an aftermarket class 5 hitch it is a TIGHT fit inbetween the frame rails.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:30 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jdecker88
Does it come with the skid plate and all? Junkyard price is 175

Yup... Its got the skid plate...

I paid $400 for it about 5 years ago, back when the economy what hopping. It was complete until I broke the lid on my fuel tank...

Old 02-20-2010, 01:35 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Those lids can lead to some cuss words can't they LOL
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Yup... Its got the skid plate...

I paid $400 for it about 5 years ago, back when the economy what hopping. It was complete until I broke the lid on my fuel tank...

Old 02-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
There are a few things I learned from the install for those wondering about the fillneck location.
The fill nipple on the tank with the tank install as far up as it can go will be right about the middle of the frame rail. So the lisence plate idea wasnt going to work. and I dont want it inside the bed, because if I have to haul a good load for a little while, I can't get to it. Also I only have a 4'' lift now and plan on 8'' this spring and inbed filler neck would be a PIA. I didnt want to have to make a hole in the bedside either, so it went inside the fender well right above the rear of the leaf spring.
The transfer pump is wire to a key on 12v routed back to my filler neck and is about a gal or so a min. Works great, I should be able to go about 1000-1200 mi before fillup

Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Also as mentioned, I don't have the factory hitch either and clearance was not an issue I had enough room front to back, it was somewhat of a close fit on the shocks though, and a dang tight fit in between the frame rails. And remember I have a single stack too, so I dont know how well it would work with factory routed exhaust either.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:47 PM
WA.Ranger
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Ziggy.
Also as mentioned, I don't have the factory hitch either and clearance was not an issue I had enough room front to back, it was somewhat of a close fit on the shocks though, and a dang tight fit in between the frame rails. And remember I have a single stack too, so I dont know how well it would work with factory routed exhaust either.
Cory, thanks a million for your input. I didn't even think about the exahust, and I'm running a 5". If you get time over the next week or two, could you snap a few pictures for me from underneath and behind please.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Subscribing on the pics, nice job Cory, although I got duals but I can still dream..

Quick Reply: Excursion Tank, Anybody Put One In Yet?