Sponsored by: DP Tuner

turbo blowby after superchiped

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 01:12 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy turbo blowby after superchiped

I know what happened. I'm just not sure why. Today driving up a steep grade 6-8% grade (GrapeVine in SOCAL) with my truck loaded full with oak fire wood. I don't know how much weight but I was on the helper springs. I was cruzing up at 70 MPH and came up to a car in front of me. As I tried to get in the next lane and pass the turbos waste gate opened and I lost all power. I took it out of overdrive and that cured the waste gate blow-by but all my mometum (SP) was lost. I used the 60Hp setting what can I do to prevent this from happening again???

Thanks

Old 01-24-2003, 04:45 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Put in a downpipe which will releave back pressure (and the turbo will also spool quicker as well).

Old 01-24-2003, 06:50 PM
famewolf
New User

Would installing a Walker BTM suffice?

Old 01-27-2003, 12:09 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User

OK what would you consider a BTM 4, 5inch

Old 01-27-2003, 05:59 AM
famewolf
New User

Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler) is a straight piped muffler in 3 1/2 inch standard pipe.

Old 01-27-2003, 11:16 AM
HTRDDSL
Junior User

I run the Grapevine quite a bit so I know what you are talking about, But I'm not to sure by adding a down pipe to your truck will help you spool any quicker, it will releave some back pressure if you have some the best way to check that is using a (NGS) It will also cool your EGT's down a bit, but from having dynoed these truck I have yet to see a huge increase in HP gains, at best I've seen a 4 HP gain with a 8FT of torque.
Now there are a couple of things you can do to help it spool quicker
1. you can disable your waste gate A red line that goes to your watse gate can be plugged off.
2. You can make an adjustment to you wastegate to have it open slower

Last edited by HTRDDSL; 01-27-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:17 AM
HTRDDSL
Junior User

3. When pulling a grade of that nature make sure you are out of OD, you will save that E40D from breaking the Torque converter
4. Remember Diesels like air, a bigger intake will allow you to get more air which will help you recieve more power.
5. You can contact the person or dealer that you bought you chip from and ask them to reprogram the chip, letting them know that you do pull a steep grade and you would like a bit more on the bottom and mid range not so much on top, Keeping in mind that you should have gauges in the truck

Last edited by HTRDDSL; 01-27-2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Paarrothead
Senior User

Originally posted by rckrwlr
I don't know how much weight but I was on the helper springs.

I was cruzing up at 70 MPH and came up to a car in front of me. As I tried to get in the next lane and pass

what can I do to prevent this from happening again???
Stay at or below the 70 MPH speed limit with an overloaded truck?

When I've got a ton in the back of either of my trucks they're not very stable at high speed.
Did you notice that?

Maybe it was a good thing the pressure released and you're here to write about it.

-Bill (AKA Charles Darwin)
Two Easters Ranch

--------------------------------------

2002 F-250 S/Cab Short Bed PSD 4x4. SCMT +80 HP, AFE Magnum intake.
1996 F-250 S/Cab Long Bed 460. E4OD auto, 4.10 posi, Air-Lift suspension, K&N filter in modified intake box, modified ignition advance curve, Edelbrock 2x61 mm throttle body, L&L 4 into 1 headers, milled heads, 3" exhaust system, cat & Flowmaster 70, modified MAF meter. 7,700 lbs GVW, 5,700 lbs empty.
{E\...F}

Old 01-28-2003, 08:37 PM
rckrwlr
Senior User

ok, No its verry stable mybe 70 back east or any where else in the state is fast but not in SoCal. its like going 45 every else.
2nd I dont understand if the turbo is not at full boost (not whining) why would the waste gate open??? befor I programed it, I'd pull my 15000lbs front end loader over it with no problen at that speed. if I sloed to 60ish it would downshift. but at 70 it wuld pull the grade and life was good. don't get me worng I love the extra Hp I'm just trying to understand what the turbo is doing??? I have a boost, pyro, trany temp. gages on order so i have a better idea of what the truck is on.

Old 01-28-2003, 09:47 PM
HTRDDSL
Junior User

Here are couple of things to think about
1. If you have a chip did they program it to have the map senser read 19lbs at WOT or did you get a boost tube with you chip and a dioed to trick the map senser?
2.Most of the time your waste gate will start to open around 22lbs regaurdless if you are at WOT or not when you get you gauge you will have a better oversite on what your truck is doing
Originally posted by Paarrothead
Stay at or below the 70 MPH speed limit with an overloaded truck?

When I've got a ton in the back of either of my trucks they're not very stable at high speed.
Did you notice that?

Maybe it was a good thing the pressure released and you're here to write about it.

-Bill (AKA Charles Darwin)
Two Easters Ranch

--------------------------------------

2002 F-250 S/Cab Short Bed PSD 4x4. SCMT +80 HP, AFE Magnum intake.
1996 F-250 S/Cab Long Bed 460. E4OD auto, 4.10 posi, Air-Lift suspension, K&N filter in modified intake box, modified ignition advance curve, Edelbrock 2x61 mm throttle body, L&L 4 into 1 headers, milled heads, 3" exhaust system, cat & Flowmaster 70, modified MAF meter. 7,700 lbs GVW, 5,700 lbs empty.
{E\...F}

Old 01-29-2003, 12:13 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User

my truck was not "overloaded" nor was it at full throtle. Thats why I'm curious why the wate gate opened.

Old 01-29-2003, 12:29 AM
HTRDDSL
Junior User

You do not have to be at WOT to have the waste gate open just under load
Check it out I go down to LA 2 times a month I know the vine well
around Fraizer park there is a good grade in my PSD running 65 MPH no load and my truck weighs 9200LBS NO BS on that I have a certfied Cat scale next door to my house I scale it every week or every time before a truck pull,
anyways, at 65 in OD Rprms are around 2K I will produce 16PSI now I do have a H2E that has been highly modifed plus bigger injectors and so on but what I'm trying to get at here is that your climbing a grade which will take more power to stay at the same rate of speed when doing that you will produce more boost, PSD waste gates are set at 22PSI(weither you are at WOT or not ) to open
You can be driving at the same rate of speed on flat land and only produce 8LBs reason being you are not using as much power to go forward

Old 01-29-2003, 12:55 AM
rckrwlr
Senior User
Unhappy turbo blowby after superchiped

ok I get that. but I have pulled a lot of weight over the same grade 15000lb front end loader on a 20' trailer and I have never had the waste gate open and bounce on the same grade? or any grade If the super chip makes more Hp and torq should't the turbo not be not be spinning as fast. I know I will have to take the truck out of OD on grades now but I don't want to do that pulling my ski boat up going up any grade. But I know I probally will because I generaly tow under 70 mph

Old 01-29-2003, 01:43 AM
HTRDDSL
Junior User

If the chip that you have porduces more HP and Torque you turbo will spool more and you will create more boost it like this, more fuel more timing more boost, Anytime you introduce more fuel in the fuel maps of the computer and add a bit more timing lower the ICP increase pulse with that all ='s more power that in turn will increase more Egt temps which will make you turbo spool faster and higher, before it was said to increase the size of you exhaust this is part ture but increasing you down pipe will help you keep your egt's at check You got to remember that your truck stock only produced Max 24LBS of boost you are probly around 28 to 29 now,
Now lets say your still not satisfied with this one other thing you can check which will surely make your truck run like s#!t look at your innercooler tubes and you Y pipe rubbers if you have blown one of those off your truck will surely be a dead dog going over the vine While you looking at them take a 7/16 wrench and tighten up

Old 01-29-2003, 07:26 PM
rckrwlr
Senior User
Thumbs up turbo blowby after superchiped

thanks,
I never thought to check the inter cooler pipes and tighten them. I have read the a larger down pipe will help. that's next on my list of items to buy for it I have the extra meters on order.
thanks