Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wife tried to kill my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Wife tried to kill my truck!

Not really but thats how I felt when it happened. She didn't tell me she had put the tailgate down when I had the gooseneck horse trailer hooked up.

We had just unloaded our horses at the new house, she went to the truck and took a couple of bales of hay out of the bed, left the tailgate down and didn't close it. The barn was in front of the truck so I only went to the drivers door. We got in, backed up to turn the trailer around to go back for the other horses and being on very slick surface, I seemed to be sliding a little more than usuall. So I put it in drive, and pulled forward turning the other way, and thats when I heard the CRUNCH!! I stopped and looked back...seeing the tailgate down.... I had my fit...then calmed down and checked out the damage....

Bed damage....bent the lower section below the taillights in...and cracked the passenger taillight.

Tailgate damage

And the trailer...Tough to see but the mount is shoved to the left against the edge of the trailer...and the tire sidewall got sliced open. The tire mount is welded to the front of the trailer and the welds ripped about 1/3 the way across.

OK So enough of the pics...and thinking my wife needs to detail the truck with a diaper and toothbrush......

I just have to pay my $100 deductible and everything gets repaired. But my thought is, I have always wanted one of those louvered gooseneck tailgates, or a tailgate from an SD with the built in step. Getting the louvered new OR a used SD tailgate has got to be cheaper than replacing the tailgate with a new one and painting to match.....

Thoughts on which way to go?

Old 02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
jasonch
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hate to hear that, hope it works out for ya! its always something.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about the truck. I have one of the 5th wheel tail gates that came with the truck. I still have to put down the tail gate to load our 5th wheel. I would rather have a regular tail gate myself. If you have small stuff in the back of the truck it can fall out with mine.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

ouch!! sorry to see.

Don't be too hard on the wife, last summer we where picking up hay out of our field...stopped by the house for lunch. I just pulled on to the driveway apron with the trailer sticking out in to the driveway....came out after lunch and completely forgot I had a trailer (bumper tow)hooked up...threw it in reverse and promptly jacknifed it crushing the bed behind the rear wheel on the drivers side.

My wife was very sweet about it, just put her arm around me and told me "if you wanted to repaint you truck thats all you had to say"

that being said, I like the idea of the late model tailgate with the step, partsguyed has em for a lill less than $600 new

www.partsguyed.com link to tailgate's

they are from the "collision catalog " so I imagine they come primed so it souldnt be more that $100 to get it painted. I don't know what else would be required for hardware etc.

Good luck

Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by clem1226
ouch!! sorry to see.

Don't be too hard on the wife, last summer we where picking up hay out of our field...stopped by the house for lunch. I just pulled on to the driveway apron with the trailer sticking out in to the driveway....came out after lunch and completely forgot I had a trailer (bumper tow)hooked up...threw it in reverse and promptly jacknifed it crushing the bed behind the rear wheel on the drivers side.

My wife was very sweet about it, just put her arm around me and told me "if you wanted to repaint you truck thats all you had to say"

that being said, I like the idea of the late model tailgate with the step, partsguyed has em for a lill less than $600 new

www.partsguyed.com link to tailgate's

they are from the "collision catalog " so I imagine they come primed so it souldnt be more that $100 to get it painted. I don't know what else would be required for hardware etc.

Good luck
Hmmmm I am scheduled to drop the truck at the body shop on the 24th.... I may have to swing by there before hand and see what they say.... I guess it depends on the replacement price to the original type.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

our tailgate lists for 1/2 the price so they might want you to come up with the difference. If they plan to buy a used tailgate and paint it you might be able to push for a new from ed due to the fact after they put the work in to a used gate to sand and paint it might be cheeper to purchase a new that dosen't need any body work or prep.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time for a new wife if you ask me

lol. Just kidding accidents happen no one was hurt that is the important part.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by megawatt00
Time for a new wife if you ask me

lol. Just kidding accidents happen no one was hurt that is the important part.
I gotta admit....I blew up at first...but it only took me a few seconds to settle and start looking at things differently. Although I did apologize for blowing up. Couldn't stay mad.... never could with her.

Just need to figure out which way I want to go with this tho.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:31 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry about the damage, but the driver is responsible. You should have checked the truck before moving it.

You would be suprised how often i circle my truck and/or trailer checking it.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:43 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I was stuck in the snow the other day. too short of a chain and rammed into the guy pulling me out. We both got tailgate damage. Later that night, I was backing up with my garden trailer loaded with snow thrower and 600lbs of salt. I slid in some snow and jack knifed it into my newly repaired (someone hit and ran me on mothers day when I was in the supermarket) side of my bed. It was a bad day for sure. I feel your pain. Check around for the new SD tailgate. It's an easy upgrade and if you get it with the step, it is even more functional.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the look of the '08 tailgate but never use the step, so I took off all the hardware and put on a flat access panel cover. I could still use the step if I wanted, but just don't. It looks pretty sweet though!!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:36 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time for an 08 tailgate! Dunno if you tow alot a louver would probably be a better for your application

Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Dang man, sorry to see the damage.

360 degree walk-around always helps. I don't know how many times this summer after walking the dog at a rest-area I almost pulled out (towing the 5er) with the dang tailgate down. At one point I was thinking I needed a bright red sticker on my driver side door saying "TAILGATE".

Can happen to any of us. And for the most part, our wives rock. That is why they keep us around

Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bummer dude. Getter fixed. One of those things I guess.

I love my 5'ver tailgate.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
She took a few bails of hay out of the bed. 5er gate wouldn't have helped.

Quick Reply: Wife tried to kill my truck!