Presidential Solution for Harness Repair!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:25 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Presidential Solution for Harness Repair!

I found myself in a delimma a few weeks back and just though that my FTE Brothers and Sisters would like to know how I solved it.

Apparently before I bought my truck, someone had been working behind the column covers and had weakened the hold tabs going to the multifuncion switch (turn signal). Both tabs were cracked and would not hold the plug in place. The result was no brake lights and no left turn signal. The strange thing was that the right turn signal worked. I discovered the source of the problem because if the wheel was tilted up, everything worked. Tilted down, nothing but the right turn signal would.

I emailed (Parts Guy) Ed for a repair. The repair is a new pigtail clip. Well, I am from the old school and a spliced harness in the column, I do not care how good you are, is just looking for either more shorts or a freaking fire. NOPE, NADA, NOT ME.

I puzzled over the problem and sent Clay an email. Clay suggested to silicone the plug in place. I tried that and it would not hold.

I decided on this repair after much thought. The multifunctional switch does fail from time to time. It does not require a tear down of the column to replace. Just a few star screws. No removal of the airbag or wheel for repair. When it requires replacement, I will take the column down and just replace the harness and switch at the same time.

My Presidential Soulution to the problem was to superglue the the plug to the switch, being careful not to get the glue no further than the opening on the switch. I started the application of the glue at 2 PM. Remember that there is quite a space between the plug and the switch. It took five applications of the glue to fill the void.

After letting the glue dry overnight, I tested the plug. You could not pull it out of the switch with dynamite.

RESULTS:

Lights work: Are now brighter than before
Work Product: No damn splices in the column
Money Spent: None, I had 3M superglue already.
Time spent: Entire time, about two hours.

Problem solved by Presidential Solution.

Future Problem.

I will have to replace the harness when the switch fails.

Sidenote:

Thanks to Ed and Clay for their time.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 PM
lsrx101
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That problem is very common because the plastic tabs get brittle with age. Tough times call for tough measures, I guess. I'll give you a bunch of "man points" for persistence.
That seems to be a fairly permanent solution, though. If you ever have to replace the switch, you "might" be able to dissolve the glue with acetone (nail polish remover) without damaging the connector.

You can remove the terminals/pigtails from the replacement pigtail harness and swap the terminals/wires on your harness into the new connector shell. All it takes is a small pick, no splicing necessary.
Just do them one at a time.