Sponsored by: Moser

What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 09:07 AM
aqqus
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more work on Rusty

Yesterday was busy. New master cylinder arrived thursday so t got bled and installed. Tried to remove the broken bleeder screw in the passenger caliper but only succeeded in breaking an easy out. Tried welding a nut to it but it broke off too. tried a couple more times but its only coming out in pieces. I'm now below the surface so I'm hesitant to try welding it again.

The rag joint was shot so I took the remains out and went to the local parts store and a new one is in the $50 range and special order. I looked on the HEP rack and found a new insert for $13, part number 31000. Clean, repair, install. In the process i found out why Rusty starts in gear, NSS switch is dangling by the reverse light wires and NSS wires are cut and tied together. The mount for the NSS is missing.

I also dropped and drained the mid-ship tank. 5 gallons of orange gas came out. I poured a couple gallons of fresh gas in and gave a quick rinse. Looks good. Re-installed with new fuel lines.

But for those interested, I did find the factory camper wiring plug on the frame.

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2016, 10:38 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Sanded down the lip of two of the rims in the truck. Could not get old water spots and oxidation off.. Came out pretty nice. Used 120, 400, 600 and finally wet 1000 and then polished them with polisher attachment for grinder.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:48 PM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Got some wiper arms from a 95 ford pickup and modified them according to Tbear's instructions. I shortened the arms about 3" on driverside and 3 1/4" on passenger side, painted metallic silver and installed with 16" rain-x latitudes. The springs are stronger and the arms are easier to remove/install. The whole idea is to have the ability to use 16" wipers without them hitting the edges, which makes for more of a selection.

I also got a decent set of door weatherstripping from the same truck and installed it. The newer truck seals do not use adhesive and the seals just push on.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:41 PM
Niwrek
Senior User
Changed the leaking heater core,,,,,,,was not half as bad as I thought, took about an hour including cleaning it up.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:47 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
More bodywork, did a wee bit of carb tuning, still fighting occasional backfires, but it is pretty drivable now. Drove it to grab some oil. She's a happy truck!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:35 AM
Joshhighboy
New User
Found a replacement grille shell to replace my beaten up crashed shell, painted and installed 73-75 grille inserts and straightened the bent front bumper

Old 03-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Roger C
Senior User
Listed some parts on E-Bay

I listed a "CUSTOM" glovebox emblem, glovebox latch, and OEM matching lockset with glovebox locking latch on E-Bay. I also cleaned and polished another glovebox latch and glovebox cable in my vibrating rock polisher. Looked for Duraspark II wiring and 2G harness for my '66 Flareside. Tacoma Pick n Pull Ford trucks were picked clean

Old 03-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Murphy's Law F-150
Freshman User
Nearly finished wiring and ready for light check... and then start. I hope.

Received the first of several goodies to tackle engine stuff soon thereafter. Trans fluid and cooler flush, radiator and heater hoses, thermostat and waterpump. Figured since I'm degreasing everything and nutting and bolting everything the PO(S) did, I might as well do the pump. This is judging by the outstanding job he did with all the other "mods" he did.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM
mmoe
Junior User
Originally Posted by Roger C
I listed a "CUSTOM" glovebox emblem, glovebox latch, and OEM matching lockset with glovebox locking latch on E-Bay. I also cleaned and polished another glovebox latch and glovebox cable in my vibrating rock polisher. Looked for Duraspark II wiring and 2G harness for my '66 Flareside. Tacoma Pick n Pull Ford trucks were picked clean
Picked clean of the ignition parts or completely picked clean? I was going to go down there later this week, but you may have saved me a trip.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:02 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Did some good work today. Bedlinered the bed, prepped the hood and cab for paint, and got it running well.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:04 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Murphy's Law F-150
Nearly finished wiring and ready for light check... and then start. I hope.

Received the first of several goodies to tackle engine stuff soon thereafter. Trans fluid and cooler flush, radiator and heater hoses, thermostat and waterpump. Figured since I'm degreasing everything and nutting and bolting everything the PO(S) did, I might as well do the pump. This is judging by the outstanding job he did with all the other "mods" he did.
That's awesome that you're getting the wiring squared away! Best of luck to you.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:35 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,286 Likes on 2,442 Posts
On sat I got all the stuff for both trucks (blue & silver) oil changes. Found out that O'Reilly's price matches Wally World, so I got my oil WAY cheaper.

Got the temp sensor and all 3 belts (alt, P/S, and a/c) changed on ol silver. Temp gauge works now, and no more squalling belts. I think they were original 77 belts?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Here are some pictures of my work today. I also welded up the completely trashed antenna hole (pictured). Other things I did were to accidentally run over my broom. Still works.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:05 PM
TheSterling
Junior User
Pulled a factory radio, leather door accents, FORD hood emblem, and locking hood latch from a junker!

Also installed a new brake booste, master cylinder and new vacuum hose. Disconnected the HVAC vacuum since I think it's leaking inside the dash. Tomorrow I clean up a new to me grill shell, bumper and grill insert and put them on my truck!

Old 03-29-2016, 08:42 AM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
swapped carbs on the 78 now it doesn't run out of gas @ 4500 rpm wot like it was pulled it to 6000 a couple times... on a side note since the carb swap the tranny has been shifting better.... looking forward to racing a buddy of mine today so we can test and tune before the real races on the 23rd.... on a sad note today we are burying my best friends dad he was 47

Quick Reply: What Have YOU Done To Your Truck Today?