Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rough idle and loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
BioHazrdMan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough idle and loss of power?

Ok, I just got back from hunting and about 15 miles from the house the low fuel light came on. No big deal I thought. The next day I washed the truck and then moved it to the street so I could wash the wifey's car. Moved it BACK onto the driveway and it was still OK. Normally I just pull it into the driveway which has a steep grade. After washing the truck though I backed it into the driveway so the front was down hill. Went to start later and noticed right away the rough idle and lack of power. So, I got a few questions and maybe someone can help.

Because I parked it with the front downhill could air have gotten in the fuel line? I did some searching and I checked and cleaned the fuel filter. Checked the HPOP oil level, it was fine. I actually changed the oil this evening, Rotella Synthetic is what I use and it had been 5500 miles. None if this seemed to help. Could it be a bad injector?

When starting it romps a few times and then ides rough. No smoke. Not much power. I really don't want to run it much because I don't want to damage anything. Is there anything else I can try? I don't have a code scanner but the check engine light does not come on. Thank you for your help in advance!

I won't be on much this evening as I worked a 14hour day and am going to bed but will check again tomorrow. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM
jasonch
Senior User
this probably doesnt have anything to do with it, but when i park my front end down hill my fuel gauge goes down. when i park my truck at night it is down hill and my gauge reads lower than it should. i can then get on level ground and the fuel level will come up. it may be possible you got some air in the line. thats what it sounds like to me, like when i change the fuel filter on the 5.9 l cummins. gotta bleed that fuel line.

just my 2 cents!

Old 02-15-2010, 09:14 PM
BioHazrdMan
Senior User
If I got air in the line what do I have to do? Drive it until it is gone? Bleed the line? How do you bleed the line? Will it hurt anything to drive it? Thanks! I am not super knowledgeable about diesels but am very mechanicly inclined.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:18 PM
jasonch
Senior User
i maybe way off, i would wait. someone will chime in and solve all yor problems. i just thought that b/c u were so low on fuel. how steep is your drive?

Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 PM
onelionhunter
Laughing Gas

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Air

I would say you just need to put some fuel in and let it bleed the air out, as far as I know there isnt a bleeder on our trucks. it will take some time to purge, but all should be fine once you get it fueled up and purged.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:32 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fill up the tank and drive it. The return line on the fuel filter will let the air out of the filter housing, but the only way to get the air out of the lines going to the heads and into the injectors is to drive it till its gone. You could loosen the plugs on the opposite side of the heads and let the fuel run out, but its messy and a waste of good diesel.

Did you do the intank mod to your truck?