Looking for SHOCK opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 11:51 PM
zamunda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for SHOCK opinions

Hi everyone.
Was driving the truck around town today and noticed it's a bit bouncy... also get some vibration at about 65 on the freeway. Gonna put some new shocks on. I don't have a ton of money would like to spend 30 to 40 a piece (45max). I was going to get them off the web but I think with getting a lifetime warranty it would be better to get them at Kragen or Autozone, just easier when they need to be replaced. What I'm looking at is Gabriel Ultras, Monroe Gas matic, Monroe Magnum Gas. I have read some pretty good things on the magnums but I'm worried they might be too stiff. I do almost exclusively on road, more freeway than streets. No towing... some light hauling, I'm a carpenter but won't load it with lumber or drywall very often. I want a nice ride, but doesn't have to be like a Town Car. My dad has a 250 and it beats the crap out of ya... not wanting that either. I know you guys have all kinds of experience, I really appreciate it. Also I'm just looking to do the fronts first and the rear down the line, is there a problem with that? And if I've missed any brand of shocks that you have high opinions of, please let me know. Thanks
99 F150 5.4L

Old 02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
green 1969 f100
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zamunda
Hi everyone.
Was driving the truck around town today and noticed it's a bit bouncy... also get some vibration at about 65 on the freeway. Gonna put some new shocks on. I don't have a ton of money would like to spend 30 to 40 a piece (45max). I was going to get them off the web but I think with getting a lifetime warranty it would be better to get them at Kragen or Autozone, just easier when they need to be replaced. What I'm looking at is Gabriel Ultras, Monroe Gas matic, Monroe Magnum Gas. I have read some pretty good things on the magnums but I'm worried they might be too stiff. I do almost exclusively on road, more freeway than streets. No towing... some light hauling, I'm a carpenter but won't load it with lumber or drywall very often. I want a nice ride, but doesn't have to be like a Town Car. My dad has a 250 and it beats the crap out of ya... not wanting that either. I know you guys have all kinds of experience, I really appreciate it. Also I'm just looking to do the fronts first and the rear down the line, is there a problem with that? And if I've missed any brand of shocks that you have high opinions of, please let me know. Thanks
99 F150 5.4L
I have similar demands to yours and chose Monroe Sensatrac from Orielly's for my 2000. The ride quality and handling are very good.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 PM
zamunda
Senior User
Well, I just got home with the Gabriel ultras... taking them back. They don't have that 3/4 nut at the bottom of the top thread post to hold while you tighten down the nut. It has that little nipple on the top of the post that you are supposed to hold while you turn the nut down with a open or box end (ratcheting). I know it can be done that way, but its just such a pain... only ended up with these because the guy at kragen was a moron and couldn't figure out on his computer what I had already figured out on their website at home. I think I'm going to have to just go with the regular Monroe - Matic plus, the blue ones. They're cheap only lik 22 bucks and have lifetime warranty. What do you guys think? I think my wallet is a little light for the Monroe gas Magnums...

Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
green 1969 f100
Senior User
Well, I just got home with the Gabriel ultras... taking them back. They don't have that 3/4 nut at the bottom of the top thread post to hold while you tighten down the nut. It has that little nipple on the top of the post that you are supposed to hold while you turn the nut down with a open or box end (ratcheting). I know it can be done that way, but its just such a pain... only ended up with these because the guy at kragen was a moron and couldn't figure out on his computer what I had already figured out on their website at home. I think I'm going to have to just go with the regular Monroe - Matic plus, the blue ones. They're cheap only lik 22 bucks and have lifetime warranty. What do you guys think? I think my wallet is a little light for the Monroe gas Magnums...
Get the best product that is within your budget. That's what I do and it serves me well.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:45 PM
zamunda
Senior User
Well, i just decided to go with the Gabriel Ultras. Put them on the front tonight, because I was having some vibration at 65mph on the freeway on the way home. It starts coming up at 63 or so and then smooths out again around 70... weird. I was hoping the front shocks would fix it... it didn't. but when I was testing it tonight, it is really more of a vibration/rumble sound at that speed... don't really feel it in the wheel or anything... any chance it could be the rear shocks and the rear wheels slapping at that speed? I just put new tires on and had an allignment. I know my rotors are warped a little and will change them soon, but I don't think they would cause this... any input is greatly appreciated... I'll try to pin point it a bit better tomorrow on the drive...

Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM
green 1969 f100
Senior User
Well, i just decided to go with the Gabriel Ultras. Put them on the front tonight, because I was having some vibration at 65mph on the freeway on the way home. It starts coming up at 63 or so and then smooths out again around 70... weird. I was hoping the front shocks would fix it... it didn't. but when I was testing it tonight, it is really more of a vibration/rumble sound at that speed... don't really feel it in the wheel or anything... any chance it could be the rear shocks and the rear wheels slapping at that speed? I just put new tires on and had an allignment. I know my rotors are warped a little and will change them soon, but I don't think they would cause this... any input is greatly appreciated... I'll try to pin point it a bit better tomorrow on the drive...
I had similar problems with mine and found that warped rotors will contribute to vibration problems. Did your alignment shop thoroughly check the suspension components?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:12 AM
zamunda
Senior User
To be honest, I have never used this alignment shop before, so I'm not sure if they checked the suspension or not. I took the truck back to samsclub yesterday to check the balance and they said it was good on the tires, but that the passenger front wheel bearing had some play in it. Do you think that could be the issue? I've been working long hours and haven't had a chance to check it yet... How do you check it?

Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM
green 1969 f100
Senior User
To be honest, I have never used this alignment shop before, so I'm not sure if they checked the suspension or not. I took the truck back to samsclub yesterday to check the balance and they said it was good on the tires, but that the passenger front wheel bearing had some play in it. Do you think that could be the issue? I've been working long hours and haven't had a chance to check it yet... How do you check it?
Yes it could be. I think it is in your best interest to fully inspect the front brake system as soon as possible. If the rotors are warped you will more than likely have to replace them.Be prepared to buy new rotors,bearings,seals, and brake pads. If you continue driving with warped rotors there is a chance of ruining your front tires.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:49 PM
zamunda
Senior User
Thanks for the reply... I was thinking today that maybe the rotors may not be that bad and its a bad wheel bearing that is giving me the rumble both at 65 mph and when I hit the brakes sometimes... does that make any sense?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM
zamunda
Senior User
Well I jacked up the truck and rocked the tire at 12 and 6... the passenger has a very slight clink and some play when I do it... I don't know if there should be any play at all or if some is normal. the drivers side if you really shake it you can hear a clink but not as bad at the passenger. So I'm thinking to do the bearings and rotors... problem is the rotors are so expensive. I'm thinking to do duralast gold pads... does anyone know where to get some cheaper rotors that aren't crap?

Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I forget the name of the shock. I'll look it up

Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I used the Monroe Reflex on my 97 F150.They rode good & made the truck handle good. I didn't know how bad it rode till I drove it with new shocks.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:19 AM
RodericB
New User
Guys,
How hard is it to change the shocks on the front and back? I bought my truck with 19K miles in 1999 and now have 141K on it. I've never changed the shocks and I'm pretty sure that they need to be replaced. When I drive the truck, there a clanging that sounds like I'm dragging a chain behind me. I'm pretty sure it's the shocks. At least I'm hoping it's the shocks. I'm a decent shade tree mechanic. If the only thing involved is jacking the truck up and removing the tire, I'm pretty confident I can do this myself.

Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
mcgilltim
New User
Originally Posted by RodericB
Guys,
How hard is it to change the shocks on the front and back? I bought my truck with 19K miles in 1999 and now have 141K on it. I've never changed the shocks and I'm pretty sure that they need to be replaced. When I drive the truck, there a clanging that sounds like I'm dragging a chain behind me. I'm pretty sure it's the shocks. At least I'm hoping it's the shocks. I'm a decent shade tree mechanic. If the only thing involved is jacking the truck up and removing the tire, I'm pretty confident I can do this myself.
That sounds more like an exhaust hanger to me.

On the original topic though. I just ordered a set of 4 Rancho RS5000s last night and they should be here friday (I HOPE!) and I can let you guys know if they work out well.

Ive been running the original shocks on my truck since day 1 (2001 4x4) and im well over due to swap them out, especially since im pushing 240,000kms now! I had good luck with ranchos in my 77 but those were 9000s.

I think I might have set a new record for lurking and not posting too!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
mcgilltim
New User
Finally installed the ranchos last night and took the truck out for a long drive. I noticed an immense difference in the ride, but my shocks were so far gone that the rear pass. side was leaking oil of some kind and they all broke off when I tried to take them off.

On a side note, don't wait to replace your factory shocks until they have 150,000 miles on them! That was the longest afternoon in my life!

Quick Reply: Looking for SHOCK opinions