Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine Swap Pics and Story!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick444
It is very possible! When I lived in Girdwood, I was in Anchorage 3 times a week for physical therapy. Now that I am in Seward, we take our little Tacoma for town runs. Planning to move to Anchorage in May or so, so keep an eye out for me.

Thanks for the continued support guys, I am considering taking these posts and starting a project thread since this has been a long winded thread from the original engine swap.
Anchorage! heck will have to get together some time. or your woman not let you get out?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
Anchorage! heck will have to get together some time. or your woman not let you get out?
With school Monday through Friday, I only tend to get up to Anchorage on weekends and lately it has been maybe once every two months. Not sure if I will have MUGLY with me, but I am always up to meet other Alaskans and FTErs.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
no im talking when you move to anchorage.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Alex, all I can say is I hope one day we get the chance to cross paths. Good luck brother, and stay warm. Us southern boys weren't made for that white cold stuff.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by b-uno
no im talking when you move to anchorage.

You got it.

Thanks Jeffrey, snow is already on the ground but this southerner loves it!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:30 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe I've missed this thread. I read the whole thing in disbelief. You get the award for perseverance my friend - I'd have walked away or worse...

Old 01-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Having one of those slow and thoughtful nights where I go back to check on things in my life. I cannot believe it has been over a year since an update on this! I am still alive but my new found career in diesel mechanics has kept me very busy over the past 8 months. I will try and update this before Monday.

For now I leave you with one teaser so as to not waste your time reading this. Mugly has a little sister!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:07 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sit here as a middle aged guy reading your tale with a twinge of jealousy....'Oh, to be young again!'

Good luck in your endeavors!

Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I just ran across this and read it again. I remember this from before. It has been mentioned many times to other FTER's. Glad to here from you again. Wish I was young again. I passed up welding on the pipe line back when and wish I didn't. God Bless and good luck in what ever is in store for you!
Chet

Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alex, what a saga! I remember reading this thread from the beginning but I don't get on here much any more. As you said "life happens". So it's good to catch up with what's new in your life. I don't know if a book has ever been written and published because of an internet forum thread but this should be the first one. You would have a lot of old "young" men daydreaming of what could have been. Glad to see that Mugly is still running strong with some new passengers. Thanks for keeping us up to date on your life.

I thought that you were interested in being a teacher in Germany?...

Old 02-02-2016, 03:12 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

*Cough cough*

Well, looking back over this amazing thread, it seems I find my way back about this time of the year, every other year or so.

I'm currently writing this from Shungnak, AK, a small remote village inside the Arctic Circle. We have internet but it is ever so slow.

I'm now a full time field mechanic, working in remote parts of Alaska about 40+ weeks of the year. In conditions that make this thread seem like an absolute appetizer to where my life has taken me. It isn't a forever job but it helped my girlfriend (of this thread, actually) buy a house and enjoy some nicer things in life. With that extra income, my list of toys has grown rather out of control and after much reflection, I'm aiming to bring life back to the simpler days that I lived in this thread. Fewer payments/projects and just the simpler things.

Mugly is still in mine, but she sits most of year and is now in un-drivable condition.

I'm bringing this back to life because I've been in communication with someone who is trying to get rid of a 2003 7.3 CC, 4WD, flat bed, with 287k miles. Almost completely stock, asking about 6k. XLT package but I figured Mugly's interior would be swapped in.

I've been discussing the idea of the truck with my girlfriend, who is 110% adamant that Mugly remains in my life. We met the summer the engine blew up, and she absolutely understands the legend of this truck.

The adult part of me just can't see me bringing her back to the glory I once promised her, and the adult also thinks it makes wise financial sense to buy this dually.

I told myself I'd read over this entire thread before doing anything and I won't look at the other truck for at least a week. It only seems fair to dust this off for the opinions of people here and to keep in touch with this forum.

This group was such a big part of my life at one point and life these days just doesn't seem to put me in front of a computer with time to be on a forum. This truck literally brought me to where I am in life, and while I could never sell it, it is hard for me to just move onto the next 7.3 and leave Mugly to be used for parts or as a joyride vehicle out in the tundra.

I need a solid tow rig and I've been thinking a long, flat bed would be perfect for toys/camping/hauling as my life continues. My girlfriend is convinced Mugly should be brought back to glory days but I'm torn on spending the money. I'm fearing I grew up somewhere along the way but I'm hoping to undo that. The dually could easily serve as my pavement queen but I don't know where Mugly would fit in. I could drop a couple grand into her but for 5-6, have a closer version of what I want on a day to day basis.

I'm posting this partially to update on life and partially for the forums opinion on my situation. To trudge on and bring her back, and or other ideas. And in tradition, add a couple picture of life these days.

I guess it just doesn't seem right to check in before any serious decisions occur with my ol' Mugly.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:31 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

And my pictures, as promised.

I now work for a Native organisation here in Alaska that specializes in providing utilities to the remote villages of Alaska. About 20-25 villages still do not have running water. Our company, finds grants and funding to start up projects that ultimately benefit the lives of individuals living in these remote areas. As a mechanic, I work strictly out in bush Alaska and honestly, I love it. I'm paid to adventure and hit things with giant hammers or fire. Being away from home has been hard, but watching life improve for myself and my girlfriend makes it worth every moment.

There is no road access to all of these villages, so it usually takes several flights to get to them. Often, a bigger flight on a 737 to a regional hub, where I then hop on a small Cessna to the village.

This is a pretty typical flight.

I'm lucky to have year around work but sometimes it means literally freezing my face off.

Due to a emergency, I was sent out just before Christmas to Shungnak to get their 30 year old equipment going in -35 weather to help repair a broken water line. The village was running out of water and while 3 other co workers were out here, I was the only mechanic willing to come out here so soon before Christmas. I figure, I'm young, have an understanding girlfriend, the other guys have families that can't understand all the time. I ended up being here for my 31st birthday and through Christmas. We didn't end up needing the equipment so I lent a hand doing whatever I could do to get water going. We ended up running a 2 inch hose from the a river, 600 feet away, above ground at -45F to supply the water plant while we came up with a better solution. There was a big fight over me staying or going once it was ruled that the equipment wasn't needed anymore, but how can you conciously get on a plane to fly home for Christmas, knowing that 300 some odd people will go without water and probably because you left and no one else could keep the generators and heaters going? It just didn't feel right, ya know? In the end we got it figured out as a temporary setup until this summer and I actually got a couple pats on the back from people in my company, it felt nice. I'm currently out here hanging some parts on one of the pieces of equipment now, in hopes of having it ready for use before this summer.

This is what a pin hole leak does at -45F, and this was out of the wind!

I try and be home for the 3 big weekends of racing at our local dragstrip. It is literally the only thing I schedule into my year.

03 Cobra, 28k miles, solid axle swap, 575 rwhp on 90 pump gas, best of 11.1 on a DR so far. Much to be improved on.

And Ford enthusiasts are maybe the only people who can appreciate how lucky I am for the few week I'm home a year.

The red 03 Cobra is a project that I hope to sell this summer and the 02 Lightning is a bone stock GEM that I could not resist last summer. I'll probably let it go this summer as I don't have space to really take care of it and I'd hate to start modifying it.

What actually brought me back to this forum tonight was the fact that my dog turned 4 years old (we don't have kids, yet.)and I got her the day I took off with Mugly to pursue diesel mechanics for a living. Its been a blast and this community was a huge part of the reason life has been so kind to me. I had no money, a thousand dreams and lived in a 600 dollar camper with my pup while I borrowed money to ignore my college degree in management and pursue the blue collar life, zero regrets. The hardest times will always be some of the best.

That is about all I can do for now, its 12:30 and work calls for me soon. I hope to give this thread a bit of life and maybe stay around this time. I miss this place but life just doesn't turn the way it used to, ya know?

I hope everyone is well here, and I'm glad to see it very active!

Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Alex,

Thanks so much for the update on the goings-on in your life. Every now and then when I think of Alaska, your story comes to mind, and I wonder what ever happened to.....

Pop

Old 02-02-2016, 06:13 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
Wow! So great to hear from you!

So what is wrong with Mugly? You mentioned a couple of grand to fix her... The dually sounds nice, but if there is one thing I've learned about Ford trucks in my 40 years of driving them, is that they have a heart and a soul... don't let Mugly down, or bad karma may creep into your other Fords. (they're a pack, you know) Maybe get the dually and drive it until you get sick of it, then sell it, then put the $2k into Mugly and be where, if I read between the lines, is exactly where you want to be.

If I ever get to Alaska, we're having a beer.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I sure do remember this thread. Your great attitude, determination and fortitude was inspiring. Anyone who thinks their shop doesn't cut it needs to read this thread. Thanks for updating. It sure sounds like you're doing great things. All the best to you!

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Pics and Story!